U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which state will lead the South?
Virginia 51 26.42%
Georgia 70 36.27%
North Carolina 72 37.31%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,047,959 times
Reputation: 1236

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think the emphasis on Atlanta as opposed to Georgia goes back to what I said earlier: Georgia largely depends on Atlanta to carry it forward, whereas NC and VA depend on more than one metro to do so. Atlanta will be the undisputed leader of the Southeast for years to come, but I don't think that translates to Georgia being the leading Southeast state.
I was just about to point this out and I'm glad you brought attention to it. Looking at the 2009 GDP figures may imply that having multiple prosperous regions may be better than "putting all the eggs in one basket" i.e. Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit, etc. This is not a diss to Atlanta or Georgia, but the facts are the facts. VA has nearly 2 million less people than GA yet slightly edges it out in GDP figures. Kudos to VA (even if it is due to government, why not ride the wave while you can). NC, while Charlotte has sputtered a little, Raleigh-Durham continues to thrive and is getting stronger.

Even though GA has the lead metro in the South in Atlanta, that does not translate into having the lead state in the South.

Btw, I didn't include Florida and Texas because their position in influence in the South is solid at 1 and 2. But VA, NC, and GA seem to flip flop constantly.

 
Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,324,591 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Even though GA has the lead metro in the Southeast in Atlanta, that does not translate into having the lead state in the South.
I corrected that for you lest the Texas crew come pulling out all the stops, LOL.
 
Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,047,959 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I corrected that for you lest the Texas crew come pulling out all the stops, LOL.
LOL! Thanks, I guess I should repent for committing the blasphemy of blasphemies.
 
Old 12-01-2010, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Gaston, North Carolina
133 posts, read 348,408 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Sorry dude, but that's not an opinion; it's an inaccurate statement at best. An opinion is merely a preference in which facts play very little to no role, but what you said is not backed up by concrete facts. In short, you are wrong about your assessment. Like I said, I have no problem with you voting for Virginia, but the facts do not support your assertion that Virginia "is the only southern state that have a very good economy, education, and etc." That's why I stated that you appear to not know much about the very state you live in if you're saying something like that since NC also has a relatively good economy and educational system. Why do you think it's been growing so quickly within the last several years, much faster than Virginia at that?
N.C is growing much faster than Virginia because the finance and banking, as well as technology and research has contributed to the tremendous growth in the major metropolitan regions.

There! Are you happy now?
 
Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM
 
Location: NE Kansas City, MO
201 posts, read 408,188 times
Reputation: 85
Dude I gotta say Virginia here, only because of the recession.
 
Old 12-01-2010, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,939 posts, read 3,982,263 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttz View Post
N.C is growing much faster than Virginia because the finance and banking, as well as technology and research has contributed to the tremendous growth in the major metropolitan regions.

There! Are you happy now?
Banking is floundering in Charlotte, Wachovia is gone and rumors that BOA will move to NYC...
 
Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
623 posts, read 1,024,239 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Banking is floundering in Charlotte, Wachovia is gone and rumors that BOA will move to NYC...
Yawn....Hey DJ, can you play some new stuff, please? This same old tired song is so last season. Your wishes are eerily strange, but cute at the same time. I try to understand that the respectable ATL forumers aren't as childish as you, thank God for that.
 
Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,324,591 times
Reputation: 2698
Charlotte is actually beginning to emerge from this recession relatively strongly, and the established energy cluster there is gaining even more momentum. But I know some people are only concerned with their ill-placed animosity towards the city and not actual facts which is pretty sad.

Predictable commentary in 3, 2, 1...
 
Old 12-02-2010, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,939 posts, read 3,982,263 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Yawn....Hey DJ, can you play some new stuff, please? This same old tired song is so last season. Your wishes are eerily strange, but cute at the same time. I try to understand that the respectable ATL forumers aren't as childish as you, thank God for that.

Yes, yawn to you too, just wait and see. BOA anyway has the worst reputation of any bank in the world, nothing but crooks.
 
Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 AM
 
370 posts, read 884,116 times
Reputation: 323
Being banking-centric is not a positive these days. If/when we pull out of the recession it will be a boon for Charlotte but it's a very serious liability for a few more years at least. Tech and research are always strong fields to be involved in so I think that bodes well for the triangle area. NOVA claims a strong tech presence but like many others I generally attribute their affluence to the Federal government. I wonder how much of the tech work is defense and government IT related?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top