U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will lead the South?
Virginia 51 26.42%
Georgia 70 36.27%
North Carolina 72 37.31%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:54 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,051,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
if virginia can get a slot, where is texas?!
See the first post of this thread.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Of the three would rather reside in DC sprawl of Virginia but would agree that overall North Carolina has a better build up of economy and would lead out of the three. Georgia just has Atlanta, and Virginia biggest catch is its connection with DC, but North Carolina has healthy cities and schools statewide. North Carolina overall is also more developed.
I see where you're coming from. I wouldn't necessarily say that NC is mre built up. The Piedmont Crescent is quite a force in the South, having several influential schools in the South and some of the leading cities as well. But VA overall does a good job of being efficient. It is the least populous but its GDP out-perfoms NC and GA...for now. Richmond hits above its weight, Norfolk has probably the most important port out of the three, and we all already know about NoVa. While GA has Atlanta (which alone says enough), GA also has Columbus, Augusta, and Savannah. While these three aren't anything above the ordinary, they do a good job of adding additional employment bases for GA, plus Savannah's prt is nothing to sleep on.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,154,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
plus Savannah's port is nothing to sleep on.
This is the real sleeper that people outside of the region seem to forget, (or it simply flies under the radar).

The Port of Savannah is booming, and they are about to deepen the channel to handle the new super-ships - in conjunction with the new and expanded Panama Canal.
Savannah Industries & Companies - Savannah Port Related & Distribution

Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This is the real sleeper that people outside of the region seem to forget, (or it simply flies under the radar).

The Port of Savannah is booming, and they are about to deepen the channel to handle the new super-ships - in conjunction with the new and expanded Panama Canal.
The port authority in NC tried to expand the port in Wilmington, but to no avail. One example of the "interesting" political climate in NC. Savannah's port is definitely an assett to GA. VA and GAs port makes NCs port look trivial and something I wish NC officials would respond to.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:09 AM

725 posts, read 1,304,156 times
Quote:
It is the least populous but its GDP out-perfoms NC and GA...for now. Richmond hits above its weight, Norfolk has probably the most important port out of the three, .
I beg to differ...

Savannah's port
Port of Savannah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virginia has the lowest GDP of the 3
List of U.S. states by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-05-2010, 08:40 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,586,481 times
Quote:
See the first post of this thread.
oh, okay. texas has already left them behind

Old 12-05-2010, 08:42 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,321,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
wait i don't get it?
I didn't leave comments without identifying myself...that's what the "other poster" did to me

Don't send me any personal msg's talking about Atlanta is growing with ghetto people and section 8. What does that have to do with me? I'm not going to indulge in your ignorance. And you also gave me rep points but thank you!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:54 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,321,516 times
It should read which state would lead the SE.

I'm going with GA with NC closely behind.

VA may have the GDP going for them now (and this is the first time in a while that VA has been ahead of both GA and NC) but that's because of NOVA and the government jobs.

Also VA how can you lead the south? It's growing but it hasn't grew as fast as Georgia and NC,

Wouldn't you have to at least have the capital of the south in your state or at least a big city.

As for sports, VA doesn't have any form of pro sports teams and you really can't use DC because most of their teams play in MD. Now let's compare this to GA, who was the Braves who probably have fans from everywhere in the south as well as other places. Also, I'm not a big college football fan but I noticed that Auburn (AL) and South Carolina played a SEC championship game in GA and IMO that gives GA even more props.

As for NC, I would place it second because of Charlotte and Raleigh and many other metro's coming up but once again what does VA have that can compete with these areas besides NOVA and to many that's not included in the south.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM

23,096 posts, read 35,044,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

The Port of Brunswick deserves a mention as well.

Port of Brunswick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-05-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
It should read which state would lead the SE.

I'm going with GA with NC closely behind.

VA may have the GDP going for them now (and this is the first time in a while that VA has been ahead of both GA and NC) but that's because of NOVA and the government jobs.

Also VA how can you lead the south? It's growing but it hasn't grew as fast as Georgia and NC,

Wouldn't you have to at least have the capital of the south in your state or at least a big city.

As for sports, VA doesn't have any form of pro sports teams and you really can't use DC because most of their teams play in MD. Now let's compare this to GA, who was the Braves who probably have fans from everywhere in the south as well as other places. Also, I'm not a big college football fan but I noticed that Auburn (AL) and South Carolina played a SEC championship game in GA and IMO that gives GA even more props.

As for NC, I would place it second because of Charlotte and Raleigh and many other metro's coming up but once again what does VA have that can compete with these areas besides NOVA and to many that's not included in the south.
If you wanna go by sports, the ACC is HQed in Greensboro,NC and the championship game was in Charlotte. While GA does have the capital city of the South, much of the progress of GA is contigent on Atlanta. When Atlanta struggles, GA struggles. IN NC it's not the same. When Charlotte sputters, Raleigh-Durham steps up. During the tech bubble of 2001, Charlotte still was booming. VA mostly relies on DC, but Richmond and Hampton-Roads help carry VA as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City