Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will lead the South?
Virginia 51 26.42%
Georgia 70 36.27%
North Carolina 72 37.31%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 04:31 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttz View Post
Apparently I do know about my own state. Now if I would vote and said Georgia, I bet you wouldn't even mention that statement. Now since you're being a know it all, how about you tell everyone on here about every southern state. What you know about Mississippi? Arkansas? Kentucky? Florida? South Carolina? Tennessee? Oklahoma? Alabama? Virginia? Texas? Georgia? North Carolina? Louisiana?

If you can't do that then it would be nice for you to
You assume too much. FYI, he just moved here from Charlotte. There goes your theory.........

Old 11-30-2010, 05:12 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttz View Post
Apparently I do know about my own state.
No you don't, because if you did, you wouldn't say something as unfounded as "I think the commonwealth is the only southern state that have a very good economy, education, and etc." NC and GA in particular also have relatively good economies, education, etc. TN isn't too far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You assume too much. FYI, he just moved here from Charlotte. There goes your theory.........
Exactly.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:28 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Tough call. Virginia will always have a big advantage piggy backing DC. NOVA is one of if not the most prosperous suburban area in the country. However NC is no slouch and neither is GA. NC may have a temporary set back with the banking fallout in Charlotte, however Raleigh-Durham continues to grow. Atlanta has slowed down a bit but it will always be the premier city of the south. I will have to say Virginia will be on top for a while with the growth of NOVA and Washington DC being the most economicly stong metro area presently in the country, along with the VA Beach/Norfolk area.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
The South as a whole has improved. When it comes to higher ed, just about every state in the South has a few great schools. When it comes to secondary and primary schools, the metro and county locale would be a much better gauge than the state, IMO.

However, on the macro level, it appears that these three states are among the leaders in the South.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Tough call. Virginia will always have a big advantage piggy backing DC. NOVA is one of if not the most prosperous suburban area in the country. However NC is no slouch and neither is GA. NC may have a temporary set back with the banking fallout in Charlotte, however Raleigh-Durham continues to grow. Atlanta has slowed down a bit but it will always be the premier city of the south. I will have to say Virginia will be on top for a while with the growth of NOVA and Washington DC being the most economicly stong metro area presently in the country, along with the VA Beach/Norfolk area.
I just recently read, and still reading, an article by Brookings that is documenting the economies of the world's top 150 metros and it highlights some of Charlotte's struggles. It does cite how Charlotte has taken a hit during the recession, but is bouncing back with a stronger economy than before.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:39 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
VA is a fiscally responsible state for the most part. It lacks a truly dominant city (some claim DC as that city, but I don't), while maintaining a pretty healthy economy. NOVA is heavily a mix of government and technology, both of which are running strong. Also, Eastern VA is a mix of industry, government and tourism. I'm not well-versed in Western VA, but I think that VA as a whole will hold steady.

Given that, I think that GA will continue to grow well above VA. It will have more peaks and valleys in its economy, but it will be more aggressive. VA is a conservative state in regard to banking, which is one of the large reasons the banking sector packed up and headed to NC. I think that NC has the chance to grow more than VA, but I think it's less stable (and I could be wrong here) than GA because it appears on the surface as more banking focus (at least in Charlotte).

Therefore, GA is my choice for number 1 (out of the 3).

Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
VA is a fiscally responsible state for the most part. It lacks a truly dominant city (some claim DC as that city, but I don't), while maintaining a pretty healthy economy. NOVA is heavily a mix of government and technology, both of which are running strong. Also, Eastern VA is a mix of industry, government and tourism. I'm not well-versed in Western VA, but I think that VA as a whole will hold steady.

Given that, I think that GA will continue to grow well above VA. It will have more peaks and valleys in its economy, but it will be more aggressive. VA is a conservative state in regard to banking, which is one of the large reasons the banking sector packed up and headed to NC. I think that NC has the chance to grow more than VA, but I think it's less stable (and I could be wrong here) than GA because it appears on the surface as more banking focus (at least in Charlotte).

Therefore, GA is my choice for number 1 (out of the 3).
I can't argue that NC is more stable than the other three, and while you do have a point that banking is important in NC (which also has a strong presence in Raleigh, Winston-Salem, and Durham) it is so much more. NC is relatively stable with tourism (Asheville, Wilmington, OBX, Charlotte, and Asheboro), higher ed, high tech, military, and food processing among other things. Like I said, I can't argue that NC is more stable, but it is relatively stable and probably fairs well when compared to VA and GA.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I can't argue that NC is more stable than the other three, and while you do have a point that banking is important in NC (which also has a strong presence in Raleigh, Winston-Salem, and Durham) it is so much more. NC is relatively stable with tourism (Asheville, Wilmington, OBX, Charlotte, and Asheboro), higher ed, high tech, military, and food processing among other things. Like I said, I can't argue that NC is more stable, but it is relatively stable and probably fairs well when compared to VA and GA.
Good info. Is NC still big in furniture? I know that VA and NC used to manufacture and sell furniture (and are nationally renowned for it). Richmond is littered with furniture stores (private shops), but I'm not sure if the state manufactures what it sells at large. I always picture NC as still having a strong economy around this market.

This may be a strange question, but I do like the concept of taking pride in making quality things for people's houses that last for decades (unlike the garbage sold at places like Target).

Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Good info. Is NC still big in furniture? I know that VA and NC used to manufacture and sell furniture (and are nationally renowned for it). Richmond is littered with furniture stores (private shops), but I'm not sure if the state manufactures what it sells at large. I always picture NC as still having a strong economy around this market.

This may be a strange question, but I do like the concept of taking pride in making quality things for people's houses that last for decades (unlike the garbage sold at places like Target).
Furniture is still huge here in NC. Thomasville and Hickory are still doing their thing and High Point still has their world renowned furniture market that operates there. However, it doesn't have as huge of an effect on the overall NC economy like it used to.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 AM

133 posts, read 412,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City