Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will lead the South?
Virginia 51 26.42%
Georgia 70 36.27%
North Carolina 72 37.31%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 AM

528 posts, read 1,184,560 times

Advertisements

no, i made that post based on the link i received from an anonymous poster. that's what im trying to say. i thought i would just echo it because i found it interesting.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:08 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,434 times
Atlanta is almost 6 million, CLT and RAL are years behind, PERIOD............................This is a ridiculous statement by biased NC trolls. It is a bigger city, so naturally the economy suffered more, it will never go "down the tank" never.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttz View Post

Education: Do you know Virginia schools ranks 4th best in the country?
Education in Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Economy: So what's the unemployment rate in the state of Georgia? I bet it's higher than North Carolina & Virginia.

Now how about you tell everyone on here about every southern state Mr. Know it all. LOL @ you telling someone they don't know there own state and clearly I been here all my life.
You said, "I think the commonwealth is the only southern state that have a very good economy, education, and etc." You are simply flat-out WRONG. Other Southern states have very good economies, education, etc. And I stand by what I said: you don't know your own state as NC has a relatively good economy and education. Sorry, but I don't have time to debate a 15-year-old who doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their" and uses mad smiley faces in responses.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Atlanta is almost 6 million, CLT and RAL are years behind, PERIOD............................This is a ridiculous statement by biased NC trolls. It is a bigger city, so naturally the economy suffered more, it will never go "down the tank" never.
The guy who talked about Atlanta being unsustainable in the long run is from metro DC. Seriously, someone from NC must have really done you dirty. You're letting your hatred of the place get in the way of facts that are plain as day. That's pretty sad.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Several things need to be pointed out here. Atlanta already IS the leader of the Southeast - this is nothing new. And just so you know, the population boom has been ongoing since the end of WWII, again nothing new here.

This happens to be one of the most diversified economies in the U.S., much, much more so than Phoenix, and particularly Las Vegas.

This is a global metro, while Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham simply are not. When a place becomes this size, as was already mentioned, it takes a lot more than a bad recession to knock it down. You happen to live in an area that is artificially propped up economically, in the opinion of many. When the government is forced to cut spending (and it's coming), just how long do you think the boom times in the DMV will go on unabated? I foresee the same thing happening to your hyper-inflated real estate as has been experienced elsewhere. I wouldn't be so smug if I were you.
I think the emphasis on Atlanta as opposed to Georgia goes back to what I said earlier: Georgia largely depends on Atlanta to carry it forward, whereas NC and VA depend on more than one metro to do so. Atlanta will be the undisputed leader of the Southeast for years to come, but I don't think that translates to Georgia being the leading Southeast state.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:58 PM

133 posts, read 412,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You said, "I think the commonwealth is the only southern state that have a very good economy, education, and etc." You are simply flat-out WRONG. Other Southern states have very good economies, education, etc. And I stand by what I said: you don't know your own state as NC has a relatively good economy and education. Sorry, but I don't have time to debate a 15-year-old who doesn't know the difference between "there" and "their" and uses mad smiley faces in responses.
LOL @ you being a grammar police. How about you stop being a douche and learn how to respect other folks opinions. You're just trying to avoid the questions I'm giving you and continuously saying I don't know my state like you really know me. I know the difference between "there" and ''their" and it seems like you taking this thread too seriously with your immaturity. I guess some folks like yourself down in Atlanta act like snobs.

"And I stand by what I said"

Old 12-01-2010, 03:16 PM

528 posts, read 1,184,560 times
good point ^

Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
LOL @ you being a grammar police. How about you stop being a douche and learn how to respect other folks opinions. You're just trying to avoid the questions I'm giving you and continuously saying I don't know my state like you really know me. I know the difference between "there" and ''their" and it seems like you taking this thread too seriously with your immaturity. I guess some folks like yourself down in Atlanta act like snobs.

"And I stand by what I said"
It's so funny you consider me an Atlanta "snob" when I just moved here from Charlotte and actually somewhat consider it my home--and on top of that, I voted for NC in the poll. I just love how people here on CD look at your location and automatically consider you to be a reckless homer who only roots for where he lives. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

It's one thing for you to vote for VA in the poll. I don't have a problem with that whatsoever. But to say that VA is the only Southern state with good education and a good economy shows your ignorance of what's going on in other Southern states, including your own. NC highly-ranked educational institutions, strong economic sectors like high-tech/pharma and finance (even though it's a bit shaky right now), and is growing very quickly. One could say the same about other Southern states. As a matter of fact, although it's not on the poll, Texas is arguably the best-performing Southern state right now. Look at how well many Southern states ranked in Site Selection's Top State Business Climate rankings that just came out this month. And the link in Wikipedia relating to VA's K-12 education ranks other Southern states favorably (FL 8th; SC 11th; GA 13th; TN 18th, etc.). When it comes to higher education, NC probably does better than VA and has arguably harnessed the power of its research universities better than any other Southern state out there (i.e., RTP).

You should really do your research before making wild, unfounded claims dude.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM

133 posts, read 412,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It's so funny you consider me an Atlanta "snob" when I just moved here from Charlotte and actually somewhat consider it my home--and on top of that, I voted for NC in the poll. I just love how people here on CD look at your location and automatically consider you to be a reckless homer who only roots for where he lives. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

It's one thing for you to vote for VA in the poll. I don't have a problem with that whatsoever. But to say that VA is the only Southern state with good education and a good economy shows your ignorance of what's going on in other Southern states, including your own. NC highly-ranked educational institutions, strong economic sectors like high-tech/pharma and finance (even though it's a bit shaky right now), and is growing very quickly. One could say the same about other Southern states. As a matter of fact, although it's not on the poll, Texas is arguably the best-performing Southern state right now. Look at how well many Southern states ranked in Site Selection's Top State Business Climate rankings that just came out this month. And the link in Wikipedia relating to VA's K-12 education ranks other Southern states favorably (FL 8th; SC 11th; GA 13th; TN 18th, etc.). When it comes to higher education, NC probably does better than VA and has arguably harnessed the power of its research universities better than any other Southern state out there (i.e., RTP).

You should really do your research before making wild, unfounded claims dude.
Dude, everything I said about Virginia being the only southern state with good economy and education is just my opinion. Sheesh, you must be offended by that statement. Good for you to consider Charlotte your home and l respect your opinion.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Dude, everything I said about Virginia being the only southern state with good economy and education is just my opinion. Sheesh, you must be offended by that statement. Good for you to consider Charlotte your home and l respect your opinion.
Sorry dude, but that's not an opinion; it's an inaccurate statement at best. An opinion is merely a preference in which facts play very little to no role, but what you said is not backed up by concrete facts. In short, you are wrong about your assessment. Like I said, I have no problem with you voting for Virginia, but the facts do not support your assertion that Virginia "is the only southern state that have a very good economy, education, and etc." That's why I stated that you appear to not know much about the very state you live in if you're saying something like that since NC also has a relatively good economy and educational system. Why do you think it's been growing so quickly within the last several years, much faster than Virginia at that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City