U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state will lead the South?
Virginia 51 26.42%
Georgia 70 36.27%
North Carolina 72 37.31%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,034,945 times

Advertisements

After seeing the current GDP stats for these states, once again they have changed positions. Kudos to VA for having less folks but still holding it down economically.

The questions: which state has more going for it ecomonically and culturally? Which state has more ecomonic development going for it and the potential to develop more? Where would you live in?

I think these 3 Southern states are the leaders in embodying the spirit and progress the South has made and find it intriguing that each state really hasn't leff the others yet but seem to battle for position. So, what do y'all think?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,262,108 times
Well of course most of Virginia benefits from a huge military and government presence.Also D.C. is as recession proof as you can get.But overall I really believe that Georgia has the best potential for future growth and expansion.The military presence is also very strong in Georgia.For the present though I do believe most people who are unbeknowest of Georgia due to Atlanta's loominus presence,some may be inclined to pick North Carolina due to its more populous cities.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,537,758 times
After starting the North Carolina versus Pennsylvania thread, my vote goes to North Carolina....it seems to embody the best of the "South" with the best of the North".....and it's GDP has equaled Georgias now.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:42 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,974,776 times
Georgia, people will always flock to Atlanta.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:10 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,311,109 times
GA will lead the south. When people think of the south, they think of Atlanta before any other city and that's why many people call Atlanta the capital of the south. NC would be second and Virginia is southern but some would question it without a doubt.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:59 AM

One quick stat for the statisticians out there, here is the GDP figure for 2009 with(2008) as follows. This is from another thread in the city vs city forum posted by 18Montclair.
Virginia $408.4 Billion($400.1 Billion)
North Carolina $398.0 Billion($404.5 Billion)
Georgia $395.1 Billion($401.4 Billion)

Old 11-25-2010, 12:36 PM

32,270 posts, read 55,016,163 times
The reason why Virginia retained very modest growth was because of federal government spending, otherwise it would have contracted just like North Carolina and Georgia.

And I pick Georgia because I really like Atlanta*smiles*

Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The reason why Virginia retained very modest growth was because of federal government spending, otherwise it would have contracted just like North Carolina and Georgia.

That's what I figured to be VA reason for growth. Nevertheless it's a benefit and one that works for VAs favor. I vote NC, well, because its my home. But I feel that the rise of Charlotte and Raleigh will catapault NC into the Southern forefront, plus the growth of Wilmington and Asheville give NC an edge. Then there is the presence of the military in Fayetteville and Jacksonville. In Fayetteville you have a huge military expansion going on.

In GA you have the growth of Atlanta, and the port of Savannah which are huge economic engines for the state. Columbus also has the military and Augugsta(shout out to you know who) is doing some big things. GA having the global city in Atlanta gives it quite a huge leg up the other states, and boy does it pull its load for the state.

VA has NoVa, Richmond, and Hampton Roads doing some big things with great college towns in Charlottesville and Blacksburg. Having access to the nations capital could perhaps be VAs greatest assett.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:55 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,299,305 times
Each state has different strengths and are in different positions. Georgia has one big metro that largely powers it along, NC has two midsized metros that are the source of the bulk of the growth, and much (though not all) of VA's growth and prosperity is due to NoVA while it also has two midsized metros but they aren't growing very fast. NC and VA do better from a diversification aspect, having three 1 million+ metro areas that have different economic specialties. Right now, Atlanta and Charlotte are in cooling periods due to the recession and it remains to be seen just how strongly both can bounce back. I think NoVA is headed towards a cooling period with the very real possibility of defense budget cuts coming down the pipe. I think this is where NC has an advantage with two of the fastest-growing metros in the country. While Charlotte is in something of a cooling mode, Raleigh is still going strong (relatively speaking) and is the nation's fastest-growing metro area so NC has another metro to help "pick up the slack" so to speak. GA and VA don't really have that advantage right now. Plus I think the politics in NC are more favorable towards its metropolitan areas. GA's hate of Atlanta has only hurt the state. I don't really know how that state/metro relationship is in VA though but it can't be that bad if new F500 headquarter relocations and mass transit systems are coming to metros other than the state's largest (NoVA).

Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,943,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

please dude. nova's the silicon valley of the east coast and growing probably better than silicon valley now and va's like best place to start a busines in 2010. quit it w/ the whole bit about it being all gov't around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City