Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
6. Shopping: The only upscale department store that Minneapolis does not have is Neiman Marcus, so for the most part I would say shopping is tied. Plus they have Trader Joe's in MSP.
Wrong. There is a Neiman Marcus in downtown Minneapolis.

1. Urban: Minneapolis - St. Paul

2. Public Transit: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Bus:
Metro Transit has a 127 bus routes
DART has 113 bus routes

Light Rail:
DART has 3 lines
Metro transit has 1 and 1 under construction;

Commuter Rail:
Each has a commuter rail line

Average Weekday Ridership (2010, Q2)
Metro Transit: 252,300
DART: 191,600

3. Skylines: Dallas is slightly better than Minneapolis. Minneapolis is better than St. Paul. St. Paul beats Fort Worth.

4. Sports: TIE

5. Downtowns: Downtown Minneapolis

6. Shopping:
Dallas

7. The Arts: Minneapolis - St. Paul

8. Museums: Minneapolis - St. Paul

9. Music: Minneapolis - St. Paul

10. Architecture: Minneapolis & St. Paul

11. Climate: Dallas - Fort Worth

12. Economy: Dallas - Fort Worth

13. Neighborhoods: ??

14. Night life: ??

15. Airport: DFW International
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 13,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvanhendrix View Post
^^ Really? You can't go outside 9 months a year? Which 9 months are those? This was an unseasonably cold november but even if you count november as one you can't normally go outside in, which do you count as the other 8? I'm curious because leaves are normally out on trees in april and aren't gone until november. Are you trying to say you can't go out in november, december, january, february, march, april, may, june, and july?

lol I was using a lil minnesota sarcasm... take a deep breath...close your eyes..relax..unclench

Old 12-01-2010, 02:52 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvanhendrix View Post
^^ Really? You can't go outside 9 months a year? Which 9 months are those? This was an unseasonably cold november but even if you count november as one you can't normally go outside in, which do you count as the other 8? I'm curious because leaves are normally out on trees in april and aren't gone until november. Are you trying to say you can't go out in november, december, january, february, march, april, may, june, and july?
No, your interpretation is all wrong...

I choose Minnesota because I LIKE cold weather..and I DISLIKE hot...pretty obvious..

Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Wrong. There is a Neiman Marcus in downtown Minneapolis.
Right I got that store confused with Saks Fifth Avenue which was turned into an outlet (which is why I did not count it).

Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston's Galleria could compete with MoA. Dallas has no such equivalent but NorthPark is the best fit under the circumstances.

MoA vs. NorthPark? One has a Bloomingdale's while the other lacks one. Can you guess which one? (Hint: Surprisingly for an "upscale" mall, it lacks a Bloomie's, while the other, more mainstream mall, has one).
NorthPark has Neiman-Marcus, Dillard's, Macy's, Nordstrom, and Barneys New York.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
No, your interpretation is all wrong...

I choose Minnesota because I LIKE cold weather..and I DISLIKE hot...pretty obvious..
That response was to the post BEFORE yours....not yours.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
1. Urban: Minneapolis (warehouse district)
2. Public Transit: dallas dart
3. Skylines: dallas
4. Sports: dallas
5. Downtowns: minneapolis
6. Shopping: Mall of America and Nicollete (Dallas has nothing that big)
7. The Arts: Minneapolis
8. Museums: tie
9. Music: Dallas
10. Architecture: Minneapolis
11. Climate: Minneapolis
12. Economy: Dallas
13. Neighborhoods: warehouse district
14. Night life: tie
15. Airport: DFW
Mall of America is only 500,000 sq ft bigger than NorthPark by retail space.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:44 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Mall of America is only 500,000 sq ft bigger than NorthPark by retail space.
MOA's Phase II will add 5,200,000 sq. feet (doubling the mall's size) and will include more retail space.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
MOA's Phase II will add 5,200,000 sq. feet (doubling the mall's size) and will include more retail space.
If it gets built.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
If it gets built.
That's completely true, but most locals here know that it's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when" it gets built. The land surrounding the MOA is often praised as the most valuable land in the Midwest (including Chicago), so what eventually gets built there has to be relatively extravagant to support the investment, and since the economy is terrible right now, it's not the best time to build a "spec" 5 million RSF retail development, but the market CAN support this space when the economy begins to rebound.

In general, the MOA doesn't have very unique stores but the experience and the foot traffic will keep it a popular desination that is nationally recognized. It's a success story that is hard to recreate, but I shudder to call it the Twin Cities' tourist destination -- I'd rather that title belong to the Chain of Lakes, which is more authentic to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City