Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 10:30 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times

Advertisements

^ Dallas has a Major League Soccer team. 3 malls with 200+ stores. 13 malls 100-199 stores.
We have the MoA with 520 stores but the rest of our malls have less than 200 stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:30 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Are you basing this on championships? If not, how exactly is the Dallas sports scene better? Both Dallas and Minneapolis have the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, and D-1 athletics. Minneapolis also has the WNBA and professional Lacrosse and both areas have plenty of amateur athletics too so, IMO it would be a tie.
Sports definately goes to DFW Im afriad.

Its not just championships, its attendance, profitability of franchise, and brand loyalty as well. Here is a list on it. DFW was ranked first in the nation according to this. I dont know if it is number one, but its definately top 5. Dallas is one of only 5 cities that has an ESPN affiliate as well.

Best Sports Cities: The list from 1 to 271 - - Sporting News

Old 11-22-2011, 03:06 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
^ Dallas has a Major League Soccer team. 3 malls with 200+ stores. 13 malls 100-199 stores.
We have the MoA with 520 stores but the rest of our malls have less than 200 stores
Ah yes, forgot about soccer. Well, Zygi Wilf wants MLS with his new Vikings stadium doesn't he?

One shouldn't be surprised that a metro of over 6 million has more malls than a metro of 3 million. My point was aside from a couple upscale shops, which the majority of people don't shop at, the Minneapolis area offers everything the Dallas area does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Sports definately goes to DFW Im afriad.

Its not just championships, its attendance, profitability of franchise, and brand loyalty as well. Here is a list on it. DFW was ranked first in the nation according to this. I dont know if it is number one, but its definately top 5. Dallas is one of only 5 cities that has an ESPN affiliate as well.

Best Sports Cities: The list from 1 to 271 - - Sporting News
I've been a Boston fan (in every sport) since I was a kid, but haven't been able to enjoy them as much as I've wanted to being I've never lived in the Boston area. I've enjoyed professional sports while living in Charlotte, Denver, and Minneapolis. My point is if a metro area offers all four, major league teams, which Dallas and Minneapolis do, then I'm happy and I'd consider it a tie as I have no connection to the area teams.

Thanks for the list you provided. I'm not exactly shocked to see Dallas ranked #1 as the area's teams have been doing well as of late (plus you all have a new stadium). However, I'd rather see a list ranking support over a 10 - 20 year period. It would look quite a bit different.

Last edited by BlackOut; 11-22-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Ah yes, forgot about soccer. Well, Zygi Wilf wants MLS with his new Vikings stadium doesn't he?

One shouldn't be surprised that a metro of over 6 million has more malls than a metro of 3 million. My point was aside from a couple upscale shops, which the majority of people don't shop at, the Minneapolis area offers everything the Dallas area does.

I've been a Boston fan (in every sport) since I was a kid, but haven't been able to enjoy them as much as I've wanted to being I've never lived in the Boston area. I've enjoyed professional sports while living in Charlotte, Denver, and Minneapolis. My point is if a metro area offers all four, major league teams, which Dallas and Minneapolis do, then I'm happy and I'd consider it a tie as I have no connection to the area teams.

Thanks for the list you provided. I'm not exactly shocked to see Dallas ranked #1 as the area's teams have been doing well as of late (plus you all have a new stadium). However, I'd rather see a list ranking support over a 10 - 20 year period. It would look quite a bit different.
But Dallas has more shopping places than just one big mall.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:05 PM

DFW's Largest Mall

It's not larger than the MOA but it's a pretty darn good mall.

NorthPark Center

2,000,000 sq ft
Built: 1965
235 stores
Anchors
Dillard's (299,500 sq ft)
Barneys New York (84,400 sq ft)
Macy's (250,000 sq ft)
Neiman-Marcus (214,000 sq ft)
Nordstrom (200,000 sq ft)
AMC Theatres 15 (80,000 sq ft)

Photo Credit: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...P_Dillards.jpg

Photo Credit: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-Barneys2.jpg

Photo Credit: http://www.labelscar.com/wp-content/...-center-43.jpg

Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
What can one buy in Dallas that he / she wouldn't be able to buy in the Minneapolis area?
There are several high end designers and retailers you can find in the DFW area that you can't find in the Minneapolis area. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
But Dallas has more shopping places than just one big mall.
You're right. There is only one place to shop in the Minneapolis area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
There are several high end designers and retailers you can find in the DFW area that you can't find in the Minneapolis area. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
So, Dallas beats out Minneapolis in terms of high end designers. I'm sure this would impress... That's right. No one cares.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
From what's I've read the rest of the malls suck compared to MOA.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:

So, Dallas beats out Minneapolis in terms of high end designers. I'm sure this would impress... That's right. No one cares.
People do care about upscale retailers. If people didn't care they would be in business.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
From what's I've read the rest of the malls suck compared to MOA.
LOL!! You read about malls?

I've been living in MPLS just over ten years and I've been to the MOA probably a handful of times (family and friends from out of town always want to see the place). I don't see a reason in going there as I can find what I need in downtown MPLS, Edina, or online.

Quote:
People do care about upscale retailers. If people didn't care they would be in business.
A very, very small percentage of people care about upscale retailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City