Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 PM

182 posts, read 297,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Dallas has trails, big lakes, golf courses, and a river as well (Not much of a river though)

The following lakes are in Dallas: Lake Ray Hubbard (35.54 sq mi), White Rock Lake (1.959 sq mi), Mountain Creek Lake (4.334 sq mi), Bachman Lake (205 acres), etc.

Dallas has old mansions as well. Have you ever heard of the Swiss Avenue Historic District? You have to realize that Minneapolis is around the same age as Dallas. (Minneapolis: established in 1855, Dallas: established in 1841)

In what way is Twin Cities better planned than DFW?
Those houses are nice. We have a lot more neighborhood historic homes, not just mansions. Also, White Rock Lake imo is the only nice looking one there. It reminds me of Lake Harriet up here. Also how far apart are those lakes from each other, 30 miles? Again you have to drive a long distance to get to any of these lakes, I can walk to the chain of lakes up here. To your question I've already answered that. It was a response to a guy who said the reason everything there is stupidly spread out like it is was because the suburbs were powerful which to me is a weak excuse. You didn't really refute anything I said. You just said DFW had a faster growing population.

"Coincidentally MSP created the Met Council in the 60's to prevent the very thing you're talking about. It was created to prevent suburbs and other entities from constantly competing and poaching jobs and other resources from each other. This is why all the major amenities and destinations are centrally located and easy to get too which will make any future transit system more efficient unlike in DFW where the airport, universities, businesses, stadiums, and other places are stupidly scattered in random directions which means driving 10 miles out of your way to get to anything. It also prevented businesses from being scattered all over the place, instead the majority of the jobs and company hq's in the metro are centrally located. It also was ahead of it's time back then for preventing farmland from being destroyed to build cheap tract housing. That's way we have an abundance of local and organic farms just 20 miles from the city which is also why we have so many farmers markets and co-ops. Anyway, all this just confirms my point. The Twin Cities are more long term and forward thinking."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post
Those houses are nice. We have a lot more neighborhood historic homes, not just mansions. Also, White Rock Lake imo is the only nice looking one there. It reminds me of Lake Harriet up here. Also how far apart are those lakes from each other, 30 miles? Again you have to drive a long distance to get to any of these lakes, I can walk to the chain of lakes up here. To your question I've already answered that. It was a response to a guy who said the reason everything there is stupidly spread out like it is was because the suburbs were powerful which to me is a weak excuse. You didn't really refute anything I said. You just said DFW had a faster growing population.

"Coincidentally MSP created the Met Council in the 60's to prevent the very thing you're talking about. It was created to prevent suburbs and other entities from constantly competing and poaching jobs and other resources from each other. This is why all the major amenities and destinations are centrally located and easy to get too which will make any future transit system more efficient unlike in DFW where the airport, universities, businesses, stadiums, and other places are stupidly scattered in random directions which means driving 10 miles out of your way to get to anything. It also prevented businesses from being scattered all over the place, instead the majority of the jobs and company hq's in the metro are centrally located. It also was ahead of it's time back then for preventing farmland from being destroyed to build cheap tract housing. That's way we have an abundance of local and organic farms just 20 miles from the city which is also why we have so many farmers markets and co-ops. Anyway, all this just confirms my point. The Twin Cities are more long term and forward thinking."
You're trying too hard man.

If your response was to my post, my point wasn't that the suburbs are more powerful, it was that Dallas, Fort Worth, and their suburbs are more powerful, important, and global than Minneapolis, St. Paul, and their suburbs. That makes the competition between the two much more stuff than in Minnesota.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 PM

182 posts, read 297,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
You're trying too hard man.

If your response was to my post, my point wasn't that the suburbs are more powerful, it was that Dallas, Fort Worth, and their suburbs are more powerful, important, and global than Minneapolis, St. Paul, and their suburbs. That makes the competition between the two much more stuff than in Minnesota.
I never said they weren't and once again I don't care. The MSP metro is better planned and Minnesota is a far better run state period. I've already explain the reasons why more than once. You seem to keep going back to the "well Texas is bigger, DFW is bigger" mantra when tells me you don't really have a rebuttal to my points. If you can't refute what I said then it's best we end this argument.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Last I checked beaches and mountains were nowhere near DFW itself. MSP has big lakes, parks, golf courses, the Mississippi river, river bluffs, trails, and an urban waterfall right in the cities themselves. That's not even counting Lake Minnetonka 15 miles west, Downtown Stillwater and the St Croix river 25 miles east, and the various pre WWII brownstones, mansions, and other buildings in the two cities themselves. Save yourself from sounding silly by trying to argue that Dallas has anything that can remotely compete with all of the above. So, we've closed three arguments. MSP has far better scenery, architecture, and as a metro is far better planned. Next...
Next is...

who has the better airport?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I never said they weren't and once again I don't care. The MSP metro is better planned and Minnesota is a far better run state period. I've already explain the reasons why more than once. You seem to keep going back to the "well Texas is bigger, DFW is bigger" mantra when tells me you don't really have a rebuttal to my points. If you can't refute what I said then it's best we end this argument.
Again youre trying too hard.

It depends on whats important to you. Minneapolis/St. Paul is nice for a visit between May and September, I would never entertain the thought of living there. The weather is alone is a deal breaker and I demand a higher level of diversity (in people and food) than what the Twin Cities offer. Im well aware that there are more outdoor activities in close proximity to the Twin Cities, but to me, thats where the list of things that I would find beneficial ends. You obviously have your own list of things that you find important that steers you to MSP. Good for you.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Next is...

who has the better airport?
You can fly a lot more places from DFW (internationally and domestically), but MSP has a very nice airport as well.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM

205 posts, read 279,234 times
DFW airport > MSP airport

Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
DFW airport > MSP airport
Based on what?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Based on what?
How about number of nonstop destinations both domestic and international? Number of foreign flag carriers? Number of flights per day?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
How about number of nonstop destinations both domestic and international? Number of foreign flag carriers? Number of flights per day?
Well, I guess if I were a frequent international flyer that would matter, but I'm not so, I don't really care how many international flights either airport has and the number of foreign flag carriers and flights per day does not make one better than the other. Honestly, DFW International is the main hub for one of the largest carriers in the world so to say that it has more foreign flag carriers than a secondary hub is childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City