Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Huntsville 95 92.23%
Jackson 8 7.77%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Cities like Huntsville, Nashville, Raleigh and etc. get a lot of hype on here. I live in Bham, been to Huntsville, and recently traveled to Jackson. From what I’ve seen, Jackson seems to do functioning much more as a City than Huntsville; much more vibrant and has character.

Didn’t really see the big deal with Huntsville tbh.
What exactly does that mean?

It's been a while since I've been to Jackson. I can certainly agree that the city has a good amount of character; it reminds me of a mini-Memphis in that regard. Can't agree with the vibrant part though, at least from what I saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 10:39 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Cities like Huntsville, Nashville, Raleigh and etc. get a lot of hype on here. I live in Bham, been to Huntsville, and recently traveled to Jackson. From what I’ve seen, Jackson seems to do functioning much more as a City than Huntsville; much more vibrant and has character.

Didn’t really see the big deal with Huntsville tbh.
Why do feel like Jackson functions more as a city, and how is it much more vibrant?

Old 12-04-2017, 11:03 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What exactly does that mean?

It's been a while since I've been to Jackson. I can certainly agree that the city has a good amount of character; it reminds me of a mini-Memphis in that regard. Can't agree with the vibrant part though, at least from what I saw.
It looks and feels more like an actual city than Huntsville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Why do feel like Jackson functions more as a city, and how is it much more vibrant?
Culture, Character, and Activity.

And pretty much a combination of what Huntsville lacks.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Damn, didn't expect this to be a blowout.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:47 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
I actually voted for Jackson.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:34 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrymad25 View Post
I don't thank so Huntsville is larger than Jackson in size and population you need to read that what give and Huntsville is a cleaner
City than jackson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Huntsville is larger, more vibrant, and economically stable. It is also safer, cleaner, and newer feeling.
I was referring to MSA/CSA when I made the comment and Huntsville is and has been growing considerably faster (this was 7 years ago).

“Huntsville is larger than Jackson,” well yes and no. Huntsville has the larger municipal population, yes - spread over twice the land area that Jackson occupies. But Jackson is denser and has the larger MSA and UA of the two. As a result, Jackson looks and feels like a pint-sized version of something that is established while Huntsville seems more work in progress-esque.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:08 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
I was referring to MSA/CSA when I made the comment and Huntsville is and has been growing considerably faster (this was 7 years ago).

“Huntsville is larger than Jackson,” well yes and no. Huntsville has the larger municipal population, yes - spread over twice the land area that Jackson occupies. But Jackson is denser and has the larger MSA and UA of the two. As a result, Jackson looks and feels like a pint-sized version of something that is established while Huntsville seems more work in progress-esque.
Agreed, Jackson does feel much more like a city and it feels much larger than Huntsville. Huntsville and Columbus GA feels very similar in terms of "city feel" although Columbus is more gritty.

Huntsville trumps Jackson in other categories which is why the poll shows an overwhelming vote it.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:13 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
I never been to Jackson, but looking at it on Google maps, it doesn't seem bigger than Huntsville. It looks like downtown Huntville has more restaurant and bars in the CBD.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:12 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Huntsville mostly developed in the 1950s and has more or less boomed ever since. Jackson is an older, more established city. Huntsville’s environment is a reflection of the period it grew, plus the population there is more educated and prosperous in general compared to Jackson. As a former resident of Jackson, I’d much rather live in Huntsville.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
I went to A&M in the early 00s, so I know at the rate Huntsville has been growing it's changed significantly. I think they have some sort of outdoor mall downtown now dont they? My old A&M roommate that recently moved here to GA and was telling me when we hung out.

Even back then, as it was still bigger than my hometown (Macon, GA) I always felt like Huntsville had the feel of a "big Warner Robins." It kinda felt like a giant suburb with most stuff off 2 very long streets, like Warner Robins. So I always thought Macon felt more gritty and "city" than there. I would guess that's what he means by saying Jackson feels "more like a city." Huntsville wasnt really gritty from what I remember. My old roommate from A&M said I wouldnt recognize Huntsville compared to how it was when I left, but I doubt it any feels more gritty.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 12-05-2017 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City