Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is your absolute last choice to live?
Alabama 18 4.93%
Alaska 23 6.30%
Arizona 10 2.74%
Arkansas 8 2.19%
California 34 9.32%
Colorado 1 0.27%
Connecticut 3 0.82%
Delaware 2 0.55%
Florida 11 3.01%
Georgia 5 1.37%
Hawaii 3 0.82%
Idaho 2 0.55%
Illinois 2 0.55%
Indiana 4 1.10%
Iowa 2 0.55%
Kansas 11 3.01%
Kentucky 1 0.27%
Louisiana 7 1.92%
Maine 0 0%
Maryland 2 0.55%
Massachusetts 0 0%
Michigan 6 1.64%
Minnesota 3 0.82%
Mississippi 52 14.25%
Missouri 4 1.10%
Montana 3 0.82%
Nebraska 7 1.92%
Nevada 3 0.82%
New Hampshire 0 0%
New Jersey 16 4.38%
New Mexico 3 0.82%
New York 9 2.47%
North Carolina 5 1.37%
North Dakota 32 8.77%
Ohio 6 1.64%
Oklahoma 5 1.37%
Oregon 1 0.27%
Pennsylvania 7 1.92%
Rhode Island 3 0.82%
South Carolina 0 0%
South Dakota 2 0.55%
Tennessee 3 0.82%
Texas 20 5.48%
Utah 5 1.37%
Vermont 2 0.55%
Virginia 1 0.27%
Washington 1 0.27%
West Virginia 5 1.37%
Wisconsin 2 0.55%
Wyoming 10 2.74%
Voters: 365. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:33 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Let me make this a whole hell of a lot easier, I would not live in any other state but Florida. Just simple as that. I hate oNe-City Dominated States so that Eliminates a lot of them. Mountains are not all that cool. Any State Without A Beach (Great Lakes and Man maid beaches does not count as a REAL beach for me) is eliminated, any state that it regularly snows in, and any state that does not have professional sports lol.
Florida is definitely one of the best places to live. The other being S. Texas, which has much of the same elements except the professional sports, perhaps. (Assuming the Harlingen Horndogs, don't count LOL).

And I totally agree that mountains are very overrated.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
I voted Kansas after a trip there this summer left me VERY underwhelmed, but to be honest, I probably couldn't handle Arkansas, Alabama, Iowa, Indiana, or Mississippi either.

States out west like Montana, Idaho, Utah, etc. I could live for a little while if I had some nice serene land and was wealthy enough to not have to work.

I think I would be able to find enough positives to at least enjoy life in many places though.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:03 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,770 times
Why is Arkansas often named? It has a beautiful landscape with a very friendly population and numerous attractions.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:42 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with you, all the northeast states do stink to high heaven. Ive been there too many times, never had a good experience there. I agree with you on California too, too many people and way to wierd for me. I have a bone to pick though on your listing of Michigan on the same list as those states. People are fleeing all the states you listed, including Michigan. Michigan is different however, as people are only leaving it because the economy has failed here. Those other states are also having economic troubles, AND they are not nice places to be. Michigan is a pretty state, surrounded by water and covered in woods and farms. People here do have pride in where they come from, people who live here do enjoy living here. People from all over the midwest come here on vacation because it is so nice. I see people on our roads from Oh, Ill, Ind, Wi and MN all the time. They are not coming here because this is a lousy place. You are wrong about Michiganders not having pride in where they come from, in fact many who have left are planning thier return before they even cross the state line. They are in your state because they are desperate. Eighty years ago when the auto industry was new, we took in many people from southern states who were desperate at that time. They made a life here, and prospered. They also built the planes and tanks that helped us win WW2. Back then this was a boomstate as big as NC, GA, or AZ today. Hundreds of thousands moved here, mostly from the south. History has now reversed itself, and the migration has reversed as well. Many of those so called gypsies you see today in NC are the grandsons of those who moved north years ago. They could be your long lost cousins. Our state has had an economic catastraphe. Much of it is the fault of our politicians, unions and business leaders. Most of us who live here are keenly aware of that. If you look at the results of our last election you will see that many here seem to have learned thier lesson and are looking to change. The people you see down there in NC are desperate economic refugees looking to survive. They are not gypsies. Cut them some slack. I am sure you want them to go home, and some of them will when things improve up here. From the sounds of it no one wants them there anyway. One thing I ask is that Michigan not be compared to the northeast, or California. That is an insult, those places are nothing like Michigan.
What? Michigan and Upstate NY are very similar. By the way, there many counties in Upstate NY that have gained people.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Let me make this a whole hell of a lot easier, I would not live in any other state but Florida. Just simple as that. I hate oNe-City Dominated States so that Eliminates a lot of them. Mountains are not all that cool. Any State Without A Beach (Great Lakes and Man maid beaches does not count as a REAL beach for me) is eliminated, any state that it regularly snows in, and any state that does not have professional sports lol.
Just wondering, how are lakeside beaches not beaches? What states are regularly snowed in? That's news to me. What's wrong with mountains?

Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,485,152 times
i chose alabama but honestly there are a few others i wouldnt want to live in, like arkansas, louisiana, mississippi, missouri, nevada, utah and virginia

Old 11-27-2010, 07:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,110 times
How come you are lumping the other states with Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi?

I am not judging, just asking.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 PM

201 posts, read 469,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with you, all the northeast states do stink to high heaven. Ive been there too many times, never had a good experience there. I agree with you on California too, too many people and way to wierd for me. I have a bone to pick though on your listing of Michigan on the same list as those states. People are fleeing all the states you listed, including Michigan. Michigan is different however, as people are only leaving it because the economy has failed here. Those other states are also having economic troubles, AND they are not nice places to be. Michigan is a pretty state, surrounded by water and covered in woods and farms. People here do have pride in where they come from, people who live here do enjoy living here. People from all over the midwest come here on vacation because it is so nice. I see people on our roads from Oh, Ill, Ind, Wi and MN all the time. They are not coming here because this is a lousy place. You are wrong about Michiganders not having pride in where they come from, in fact many who have left are planning thier return before they even cross the state line. They are in your state because they are desperate. Eighty years ago when the auto industry was new, we took in many people from southern states who were desperate at that time. They made a life here, and prospered. They also built the planes and tanks that helped us win WW2. Back then this was a boomstate as big as NC, GA, or AZ today. Hundreds of thousands moved here, mostly from the south. History has now reversed itself, and the migration has reversed as well. Many of those so called gypsies you see today in NC are the grandsons of those who moved north years ago. They could be your long lost cousins. Our state has had an economic catastraphe. Much of it is the fault of our politicians, unions and business leaders. Most of us who live here are keenly aware of that. If you look at the results of our last election you will see that many here seem to have learned thier lesson and are looking to change. The people you see down there in NC are desperate economic refugees looking to survive. They are not gypsies. Cut them some slack. I am sure you want them to go home, and some of them will when things improve up here. From the sounds of it no one wants them there anyway. One thing I ask is that Michigan not be compared to the northeast, or California. That is an insult, those places are nothing like Michigan.
I don't mean to be rude, but tl;dr. I'll rep you though.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 PM

174 posts, read 540,569 times
Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, flooding, plain ugly buildings, license plates and other things I'd have to see regularly, bitter cold, snow storms, intense humidity, giant cockroaches, plagues of rats, violent and property crime, a smugly hedonistic populous, a high cost of living, and a state/primate city name that I find to suck, these are the things I'd try to avoid.

About the only place in the state of Michigan I would live would be near the lake of that name, especially the southwest. It was either that, Delaware, Wyoming or Some other state in the empty quarter. And I'd never live in a place that touts it's self "The Tarheel State."

Old 11-27-2010, 08:16 PM

27 posts, read 40,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
How come you are lumping the other states with Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi?
Why? What's wrong with that? Personally I couldn't decide between Iowa and Mississippi. While I realize that both states are very different, but I hated them equally. I guess Mississippi more, because Iowa is just boring, while Mississippi is boring and full of Evangelical fundamentalist douchenozzles.

Same with California and Texas. Both states are complete opposites, and while I wouldn't call either of them the worst state to live in, they wouldn't be my first choice either. Just like Florida or Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City