U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state is your absolute last choice to live?
Alabama 18 4.95%
Alaska 23 6.32%
Arizona 10 2.75%
Arkansas 8 2.20%
California 34 9.34%
Colorado 1 0.27%
Connecticut 3 0.82%
Delaware 2 0.55%
Florida 11 3.02%
Georgia 5 1.37%
Hawaii 2 0.55%
Idaho 2 0.55%
Illinois 2 0.55%
Indiana 4 1.10%
Iowa 2 0.55%
Kansas 11 3.02%
Kentucky 1 0.27%
Louisiana 7 1.92%
Maine 0 0%
Maryland 2 0.55%
Massachusetts 0 0%
Michigan 6 1.65%
Minnesota 3 0.82%
Mississippi 52 14.29%
Missouri 4 1.10%
Montana 3 0.82%
Nebraska 7 1.92%
Nevada 3 0.82%
New Hampshire 0 0%
New Jersey 16 4.40%
New Mexico 3 0.82%
New York 9 2.47%
North Carolina 5 1.37%
North Dakota 32 8.79%
Ohio 6 1.65%
Oklahoma 5 1.37%
Oregon 1 0.27%
Pennsylvania 7 1.92%
Rhode Island 3 0.82%
South Carolina 0 0%
South Dakota 2 0.55%
Tennessee 3 0.82%
Texas 20 5.49%
Utah 5 1.37%
Vermont 2 0.55%
Virginia 1 0.27%
Washington 1 0.27%
West Virginia 5 1.37%
Wisconsin 2 0.55%
Wyoming 10 2.75%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 PM

4,815 posts, read 5,469,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post

A member with the name "Footballfreak" would least like to live in the state most obsessed with football. Does anyone else see the irony here?

‎1. Weather
2. Racism
3, Obsession with Football (mainly the Cowboys)
4. Close-mindedness on religion, culture, lifestyles, etc
5. Hypocrisy and double standards.
6. Backwards progress
7. Bush (nuff said)
I would list more but its making me too angry
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 10:34 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,212,917 times
I guess I join the majority by choosing Mississippi as the least place I'd like to live. The landscape may be more interesting than states like Nebraska or N Dakota and Kansas because Mississippi is on the Gulf Coast and borders the largest river in America. But there seems to be so many unappealing things about Mississippi that others have identified that I would likely be very unhappy living there. Probably Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska & North\ South Dakota would be the second least attractive states in live in for me.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:41 PM

1,645 posts, read 2,044,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I guess I join the majority by choosing Mississippi as the least place I'd like to live. The landscape may be more interesting than states like Nebraska or N Dakota and Kansas because Mississippi is on the Gulf Coast and borders the largest river in America. But there seems to be so many unappealing things about Mississippi that others have identified that I would likely be very unhappy living there. Probably Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska & North\ South Dakota would be the second least attractive states in live in for me.
Most of the slams against Mississippi seem to be coming from people who watched "A Time to Kill" and "Mississippi Burning" and drew their bizarre conclusions.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:43 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,701,014 times
For me it would me Mississippi, I have been there. To be honest the place isn't that bad in looks, it is very lush and green, and its very vast.

It's just that I am a city person, I need a metropolitan area that can range from the size of El Paso to New York City itself, and Mississippi in all honesty has not gotten the hang of that yet. When I was in Mississippi, it was normal, people carried on with their lives but for the first time in my life, I remember being introduced to what a Southern accent sounded like. And to be honest, I didn't like it.

Mississippi by looks, there is nothing wrong with the place, but I cant handle the fact that the state has no major city and no Jackson does not count, it doesn't even function as the states premier city that well. Meh, I hope for the best of Mississippi in the future and hopefully they can get a grip on reality and improve things but honestly I would pass on it.

For the record, I don't hate any place at all, but I definitely have places that I can prefer to live in and those that I don't prefer to live in. And Mississippi along with South Carolina would make my two states I don't want to live in.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 PM

1,645 posts, read 2,044,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
For me it would me Mississippi, I have been there. To be honest the place isn't that bad in looks, it is very lush and green, and its very vast.

It's just that I am a city person, I need a metropolitan area that can range from the size of El Paso to New York City itself, and Mississippi in all honesty has not gotten the hang of that yet. When I was in Mississippi, it was normal, people carried on with their lives but for the first time in my life, I remember being introduced to what a Southern accent sounded like. And to be honest, I didn't like it.

Mississippi by looks, there is nothing wrong with the place, but I cant handle the fact that the state has no major city and no Jackson does not count, it doesn't even function as the states premier city that well. Meh, I hope for the best of Mississippi in the future and hopefully they can get a grip on reality and improve things but honestly I would pass on it.

For the record, I don't hate any place at all, but I definitely have places that I can prefer to live in and those that I don't prefer to live in. And Mississippi along with South Carolina would make my two states I don't want to live in.
Just curious why you would choose Mississippi and South Carolina on the basis of lack of cities and your dislike of urban areas, if there are countless examples of far more rural states, such as Nebraska, North Dakota, Vermont, New Mexico, etc.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:00 PM

9,804 posts, read 7,955,914 times
Presently, I would not want to live anywhere outside the BosWash corridor. Just not that interested. Visiting is fine of course.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,701,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Just curious why you would choose Mississippi and South Carolina on the basis of lack of cities and your dislike of urban areas, if there are countless examples of far more rural states, such as Nebraska, North Dakota, Vermont, New Mexico, etc.
The thing with Mississippi is that Jackson may as well be its premier city. And I can respect that its trying to establish itself. But its still very much a regional city even in its own state.

A brief history about the kinds of places that interest me or don't. I'm not into yuppie and hippie type of cities and to be honest the pretentiousness in most cities absolutely makes me sick to my stomach.

That's a reason I cannot at ALL stand San Francisco because not the entire city but a good majority of the city is full of yuppies and hippies, who have nothing to contribute to life at all besides their podunk views of how life should be and what to vote for. Frankly I am just not interested in immature type of atmospheres like that.

In the Bay Area, I will gladly take San Jose & Oakland, two very mature and Liberal leaning cities over San Francisco, just because I hate the dilemma of everyday having to maybe defend my views or "not being Liberal enough" or whatever in San Francisco. I'm sorry but extreme leftists (extreme Liberals) and extreme righters (extreme Conservatives) are absolutely disgusting people.

On your question, I haven't ever been to North or South Dakota so I cannot speak for it, I try not to speak for places I have never been before. And the thing with me is that I have a very capitalistic mindset, which is why I may prefer Albuquerque or Omaha more than Jackson.

Omaha as a city is making good ways to becoming a more established and powerful city, its a great median to opportunities and thats something that I do very much prioritize. Albuquerque, I like the desert scenery to be honest, most people don't but I do.

Tucson, Arizona is actually my favorite city in the country, its shocking when I tell people that and they react but it is what it is, the place I find very appealing.

With Mississippi, there isn't anything wrong but Jackson hasn't exactly built itself to be like Omaha, Albuquerque, & Tucson to offer the same opportunities. Once again there isn't anything wrong with the way Mississippi looks, if anyone has been, its a great state to feel the nature around you as there is an abundance of trees. But Jackson needs to capitalize its economy more, and if it does, it can be a more appealing city to me.

I'm not one to judge a city based off of North, South, East, & West cultures, places are what they are. All places should be respected, and all should be appreciated. But I personally would like to see more improvements in Jackson as a city, see it becoming more competitive with peers and trying to attract new jobs, people, developers.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,212,917 times
Quote:
Most of the slams against Mississippi seem to be coming from people who watched "A Time to Kill" and "Mississippi Burning" and drew their bizarre conclusions.
You are exactly right. I have never really been in Mississippi; we drove thru Mississippi along Interstate 10 when I was a very young child so I can't claim to know what it is like. But it was the image of Mississippi in various old movies and TV footage of the Civil Rights movement that has impacted my opinion and the racism is a thorough turn off. The fact that the white population of Mississippi had the lowest percentage of voters for Obama of any state also reinforced the attitude I have of it.

I did see the movies you mentioned and another one that was based in Louisiana called "Easy Rider" that even scared me about ever going to the Deep South.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:45 PM

78 posts, read 141,155 times
Utah. Deserts and religion scare me.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 PM

877 posts, read 821,678 times
Quote:
Omaha, Nebraska and Albuquerque, New Mexico act fantastically as their states' major cities.

Mississippi has almost 3 million people, but no city to act as a major city. North Dakota and Vermont don't even have one million, so that's not a very fair argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City