U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Cities where homes are likely to have outdoor swimming pools:
Honolulu 9 15.52%
Los Angeles 21 36.21%
San Diego 12 20.69%
Phoenix 31 53.45%
Albuquerque 6 10.34%
Austin 6 10.34%
San Antonio 9 15.52%
Houston 16 27.59%
Dallas 12 20.69%
Atlanta 7 12.07%
Orlando 19 32.76%
Tampa 14 24.14%
Miami 21 36.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:47 PM

4,181 posts, read 6,333,346 times
I wouldn't be surprised if Orlando had the most swimming pools per capita. Its one of the warmest year round cities in the US and its an hour inland, so many many homes have in ground pools. Just look at a satellite image of a typical subdivision.

orlando - Google Maps

orlando - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 PM

174 posts, read 288,017 times
My stereotypical view of Dallas, and to a lesser extent Houston, is that of ginormous in-ground swimming pools, including those built in the shape of cowboy boots, the state of Texas, as well as other shapes.

The northern half of the City of Los Angeles seems to have a huge number of swimming pools.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:07 PM

12,241 posts, read 12,311,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
My list:
- Miami (duhh, hot & humid)
- Houston (duhh, hot & humid)
- Phoenix
- Tucson
- Albuquerque
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Austin
- San Antonio

I took this picture yesterday at my house, after I saw this thread. Pictures tell better than words. This can give you a better idea of the pool situation in the "Sunbelt".

Taken from my bedroom:

I have a swimming pool (Infinity Pool) in my backyard and as you can see across the lake, my neighbor does too. And in my Subdivision, only 7 homes out of 29 don't have swimming pools.

Here is a picture of my pool/backyard from my formal living room:
Is this in Houston?

Danny invite me over!!!

Haha

Old 11-27-2010, 01:09 PM

12,241 posts, read 12,311,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If you live near Houston than Im pretty sure you and my brother are neighbors...LOL
I dunno...Houston is a big place man.

It can take hours sometimes just to get across the metro its so large.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:58 PM

13,080 posts, read 13,572,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
My list:
- Miami (duhh, hot & humid)
- Houston (duhh, hot & humid)
- Phoenix
- Tucson
- Albuquerque
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Austin
- San Antonio

I took this picture yesterday at my house, after I saw this thread. Pictures tell better than words. This can give you a better idea of the pool situation in the "Sunbelt".

Taken from my bedroom:

I have a swimming pool (Infinity Pool) in my backyard and as you can see across the lake, my neighbor does too. And in my Subdivision, only 7 homes out of 29 don't have swimming pools.

Here is a picture of my pool/backyard from my formal living room:
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. But those pictures look so much like South Florida that it is beyond scary. As for the thread. The answer is clearly sunbelt. I didn't see many living in DC and don't see many here now in Chicago. At the same time, I never was known to see many homes with pools in Austin unless they are in West Austin.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:33 PM

24,557 posts, read 29,936,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I dunno...Houston is a big place man.
No you dont understand, im referring to that exact neighborhood! My brother lives in Houston in a big house on a fake lake that looks almost exactly like that.

Quote:
It can take hours sometimes just to get across the metro its so large.
That's typical of any of the 10 largest Combined Statistical Areas actually.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:35 PM

63 posts, read 7,612 times
Any sunbelt city

Old 11-27-2010, 03:49 PM

10,180 posts, read 3,997,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If you live near Houston than Im pretty sure you and my brother are neighbors...LOL
Riverstone (Waters Cove). If yes, then yeah he probably would be in my neighborhood. Haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Is this in Houston?

Danny invite me over!!!

Haha
Haha yeah it is. (Sugar Land) You'll never see homes of Mediterranean Spanish Style in Chicago casually.

Which is why I like the housing in cities on the coast far more.

Yeah anyone here can come over whenever, there also seems to be this misrepresentation of what Houston is like or is, I wouldn't actually mind showing people what Houston really is like. LOL tourists that stay on the freeways think they know the place. Hilarious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. But those pictures look so much like South Florida that it is beyond scary. As for the thread. The answer is clearly sunbelt. I didn't see many living in DC and don't see many here now in Chicago. At the same time, I never was known to see many homes with pools in Austin unless they are in West Austin.
Yeah exactly, this is what I've been trying to say on this board for like the last 5-6 months. Houston is a mixture of different characteristics all put into one.

It has a lot in common with South Florida, way more than anyone can think to have noticed before.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:02 PM

13,080 posts, read 13,572,641 times
Yeah but when I say I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. I have always mentioned on this forum since I been here that Houston has very many characteristics of Southern Florida. More than anyone would want to believe.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:08 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,163,473 times
I was looking for an actual answer to the topic question, and every time I found something with a lil info, like Arizona is the state with most pools per capita and Texas is second, there was no linked source. So yeah, that's annoying lol, but I did find something interesting I guess.

News & Culture in San Jose, CA | Pool shortage

It's four years old, but it lists public pools per 100,000 residents for America's 20 largest cities.

1. Austin 7.0
2. Philadelphia 6.4
3. Jacksonville 4.2
4. Baltimore 3.5
5. Indianapolis 2.8
6. Phoenix 2.0
7. Houston 1.9
8. Dallas 1.8
9. Memphis 1.8
10. San Antonio 1.8
11. Los Angeles 1.5
12. Columbus 1.5
13. Chicago 1.2
14. Fort Worth 1.1
15. San Francisco 1.1
16. San Diego 1.0
17. Charlotte .65
18. New York .61
19. Detroit .23
20. San Jose .22

But that's just public pools only. I was looking for something like this for all or private pools per city and state, oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City