Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ vs PA
NJ 65 40.12%
PA 97 59.88%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:25 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times

Advertisements

And SEPTA is easily in the top 5 or 6 for public transportation infrastucture in the nation. Hardly terrible, though its far from perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 09:32 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
And SEPTA is easily in the top 5 or 6 for public transportation infrastucture in the nation. Hardly terrible, though its far from perfect.
It has some the worst infastrature , for supposedly one of the best systems. Most lines are limited to 50mph due bad wires and tracks , NJT meanwhile has an average of 70mph on the Diesel lines and 100mph on the Electric lines. Your inner city system is half ripped up due to Septa's backward ness , stations are in poor condition on the Board Street line. Your Trains are very old except the MFL , there about 40-60 years old , while NJT has nothing older then 40. NJT also has 3x higher ridership then Septa.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It has some the worst infastrature , for supposedly one of the best systems. Most lines are limited to 50mph due bad wires and tracks , NJT meanwhile has an average of 70mph on the Diesel lines and 100mph on the Electric lines. Your inner city system is half ripped up due to Septa's backward ness , stations are in poor condition on the Board Street line. Your Trains are very old except the MFL , there about 40-60 years old , while NJT has nothing older then 40. NJT also has 3x higher ridership then Septa.
Why haven't they done nuthin for south jersey? The public transit in south jersey is sunbeltish at best.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:30 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
C'mon man, who tryna kid. You know PA is alot better. The cities are better, and even the suburbs are better. Everybody just uses Jersey for the shore, aside from that jersey sux, and everybody knows it.
The suburbs in PA are better?
Really?- Just quit before you get yourself into a deeper hole. NJ's suburbs rank NJ atop the majority of states in terms of wealth, education, and safety- PA included (PA being less productive than NJ in these areas)

I'm not downgrading PA, because I truly do love the state, but you clearly have some kind of bitter need to belittle NJ for the sake of being annoying, and therefore contradicting yourself when calling people "A-holes"

Quote:
Why haven't they done nuthin for south jersey? The public transit in south jersey is sunbeltish at best.
Lol maybe because south Jersey lacks the urban development that Northern NJ has. sunbeltish?.. Outside of SEPA, PA has little to no PT, and the system itself is no where near as extensive as NJT (NJT is the most extensive state wide system in the nation)-- So no matter how you try to flip it and slice it, you still fail.
~

Here's to give you (and others) an idea.

You can fit The Gold Coast, The rest of Hudson Co (that's not included in the gold coast) Newark, Elizabeth, Belleville, Bloomfield, Montclair, Clifton, Passaic, Paterson, Elmwood Park, Garfield, Lodi, Hasbrouck Heights, Teterboro, Hackensack, Teaneck, and Englewood ALL in Philadelphia with 5 extra square miles to spare.

All these cities and towns basically border one another, so they all together make up a chunk of 130 square miles of land. (Philly is 135 sqmi)

Philly population- 1.55 Million
The 130 sqmi in NJ- 1.49 Million

So what exactly is NJ lacking in comparison when you can fit the downtown areas of Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, and Paterson- 2 airports (Newark-Teterboro)- a shipping port Philly can't touch- A subway system into Manhattan (PATH), and other transit options into NYC- and numerous economically diverse communities all into 130 square miles?

I might as well throw it out there that Bergen County has the most malls per square mile in the world (Paramus grossing more retail than any other zip code in the nation)-- And there's no sales tax on clothing.

"Everybody just uses Jersey for the shore" ... Because NJ boardwalks are like no other.

It's really easy to underestimate NJ when you try and limit everything to a small area in comparison, especially when NJ as the more cities/towns by land area than any other state in the nation.

Last edited by BPerone201; 11-26-2010 at 10:50 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 10:40 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
There working on it , the extension of the Riverline to Glassboro will begin construction next year and open in 2013. The Transfer station between the Riverline and Atlantic city line will open late 2011. The Glassboro line will eventually be extended to Millville , another line will branch off form that and go to Penns Grove and Salem. NJT plans to restore the Cape May line by the end of the decade. The Riverline will also be extended up to the West Trenton station.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The suburbs in PA are better?
Really?- Just quit before you get yourself into a deeper hole. NJ's suburbs rank NJ atop the majority of states in terms of wealth, education, and safety- PA included (PA being less productive than NJ in these areas)

I'm not downgrading PA, because I truly do love the state, but you clearly have some kind of bitter need to belittle NJ for the sake of being annoying, and therefore contradicting yourself when calling people "A-holes"

Lol maybe because south Jersey lacks the urban development that Northern NJ has. sunbeltish?.. Outside of SEPA, PA has little to no PT, and the system itself is no where near as extensive as NJT-- So no matter how you try to flip it and slice it, you still fail.
~

Here's to give you (and others) an idea.

You can fit The Gold Coast, The rest of Hudson Co (that's not included in the gold coast) Newark, Elizabeth, Belleville, Bloomfield, Montclair, Clifton, Passaic, Paterson, Elmwood Park, Garfield, Lodi, Hasbrouck Heights, Teterboro, Hackensack, Teaneck, and Englewood ALL in Philadelphia with 5 extra square miles to spare.

All these cities and towns basically border one another, so they all together make up a chunk of 130 square miles of land. (Philly is 135 sqmi)

Philly population- 1.55 Million
The 130 sqmi in NJ- 1.49 Million

So what exactly is NJ lacking in comparison when you can fit the downtown areas of Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, and Paterson- 2 airports (Newark-Teterboro)- a shipping port Philly can't touch- A subway system into Manhattan (PATH), and other transit options into NYC- and numerous economically diverse communities all into 130 square miles?

I might as well throw it out there that Bergen County has the most malls per square mile in the world (Paramus grossing more retail than any other zip code in the nation)-- And there's no sales tax on clothing.

"Everybody just uses Jersey for the shore" ... Because NJ boardwalks are like no other.
I'm not talking about north jersey, cuz i have almost no personal experience with it. I know its very urban and well developed and desire-able and all that. I'm speaking on the delaware valley, in which case the PA side is far superior.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:04 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about north jersey, cuz i have almost no personal experience with it. I know its very urban and well developed and desire-able and all that. I'm speaking on the delaware valley, in which case the PA side is far superior.
Well that may be the case (as far as urbanity goes). But the Delaware Valley in NJ isn't completely useless by any means.

They call it the garden state don't they?
-Mainly because of SoNJ, NJ is a leader in producing: Tomatoes, Bluberries, Cranberries, and Raspberries. (not #1 in every category, but among the top 5)
-The Pine Barrens also holds some of the purest water in the nation- It's also the least populated area of the state.

NJ has more horse tracks than Kentucky (most them being in Southern NJ (The DE Valley))... Just to throw that out there.
~

I agree that SEPA is better than SWNJ, but you're comparing the most urban area of PA to one of the most rural areas of NJ.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:06 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
I love Hudson County more than anything in PA, so I will go with Jersey.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:15 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
It's funny hearing South Jersey called "rural," "poor," "full of a-holes," "useless," etc. Growing up, I thought I lived in one of the most wealthy and well-off parts of the country (which compared to many even most places I do). Everything I could want food and shopping wise is within a 15 minute drive (although for nightlife you usually need to go to the city). South Jersey gets attitude from people from the PA suburbs because we rep for "their" city, it's really stupid. I'm not sure how we're a-holes... there isn't any distinct cultural difference between people from PA or SJ that I've ever noticed.

As for public transport, I've ridden PATCO all my life and rarely had problems. I often see delays on the SEPTA regional lines though. I understand that PATCO is rapid transit and the R lines are commuter rail but that still doesn't really justify it.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
It's funny hearing South Jersey called "rural," "poor," "full of a-holes," "useless," etc. Growing up, I thought I lived in one of the most wealthy and well-off parts of the country (which compared to many even most places I do). Everything I could want food and shopping wise is within a 15 minute drive (although for nightlife you usually need to go to the city). South Jersey gets attitude from people from the PA suburbs because we rep for "their" city, it's really stupid. I'm not sure how we're a-holes... there isn't any distinct cultural difference between people from PA or SJ that I've ever noticed.

As for public transport, I've ridden PATCO all my life and rarely had problems. I often see delays on the SEPTA regional lines though. I understand that PATCO is rapid transit and the R lines are commuter rail but that still doesn't really justify it.
Only fools with money and time to waste use the regional rails.

As for the public transit in SEPA most people rely on trolleys/light rails and buses that directly connect to the heavily utilized Broad st. subway, and Market st. EL.

You might be able to make the case for south Jersey beating in PA certain aspects, but public transportation is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City