Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Better?
One Downtown (Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco) 11 39.29%
Multi Downtowns (Atlanta, Dallas, DC, Houston) 17 60.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I agree with this. I'm old enough to barely remember when Downtown was still the center of everything, and I still miss it playing that role.

As far as Perimeter Center goes, it really doesn't get the credit it deserves, in my opinion. It is probably the best edge city I've witnessed, and is years ahead of Tysons. Streetscape improvements have been ongoing for several years now, heavy rail is already in place, and mixed-use and residential developments have already really taken hold. It's also surrounded by very desirable residential areas on all sides.

Do I wish all of this development had been Downtown? Yes. It is what it is though, and at least they are remaking it into a much more cohesive, attractive and livable area. The changes over the last five years alone have been unbelievable. I really haven't seen examples of modern office buildings being demolished for new mixed-use and residential development on this scale anywhere else. As an example, this is the next one on the books:
Welcome to High Street

Looks very interesting - this is the best that KOP is attempting yet it will be completely hemmed in by 4 highways (76, PA Turnpike, 202, 422) on its perimeter

Village at Valley Forge (http://www.mypinwheel.com/accounts/pw_05132001/links/index2.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Looks very interesting - this is the best that KOP is attempting yet it will be completely hemmed in by 4 highways (76, PA Turnpike, 202, 422) on its perimeter

Village at Valley Forge (http://www.mypinwheel.com/accounts/pw_05132001/links/index2.html - broken link)
Looks interesting, and a bit larger than High Street. It looks pretty self-contained though.

Hey, at least they're trying, right?

The two areas are very different in their set-up.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
I prefer a single dominant core such as center city Philadelphia.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:09 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
NYC doesn't have multiple downtowns.

If you have visited Manhattan, you can understand that the neighborhoods flow together, and there are no separate commercial districts.

I notice outsiders are always trying to make distinctions between Midtown and Downtown, for example, and they really aren't understanding how Manhattan functions.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
I've always like the multiple vibrant CBDs myself....I like being able to travel the entire city for a variety of activity, rather than having pulse of the city being centered in one place....Not that Center City isn't nice (before I get beaten over the head) just wish it's Vibrancy was more distributed throughout Philly.

Pittsburgh is a good example of this...it has the 2nd and 3rd largest CBD's in PA with a 3rd CBD well in the works with Central East Liberty home to one of Googles largest East Coast offices.....not to mention its multiple vibrant bustling neighborhoods within the city.

Of course Manhattan and DC are also good for this.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Can we use a new term besides blown out of the water? I feel like I am playing battleship.
How about, eats it for breakfast.
Or, takes a dump on head
Or, uses as a whipping boy.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:19 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
NYC doesn't have multiple downtowns.

If you have visited Manhattan, you can understand that the neighborhoods flow together, and there are no separate commercial districts.

I notice outsiders are always trying to make distinctions between Midtown and Downtown, for example, and they really aren't understanding how Manhattan functions.
I most certainly does.

Midtown is distinctly different than and separated from Downtown.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Every metro has multiple downtowns.

Its just that some metros(Houston,ATL etc.) are more vocal in boosting their "multiple downtowns" because their main downtown is insufficient.
Houston's downtown insufficient?

Right...

That's why it has more Class A office space than Downtown LA I suppose & keeps adding more with the addition of new skyscrapers as you sit there & type your BS.

Downtown Houston's office buildings are almost at full capacity, certainly enough to warrant new construction.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:48 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
I most certainly does.

It refers to the geographic location though, not in "downtown = central core" sense. If you live in Brooklyn for example, to get to "downtown Manhattan" you have to take Uptown trains. Or if you want to go to Brooklyn from the Bronx, you take Downtown trains. So if you're going downtown it doesn't mean downtown Manhattan, it just means South.

Downtown Manhattan = Lower part of the island, Downtown trains = Brooklyn bound trains.
Midtown Manhattan = Middle of the island
Uptown Manhattan = Upper part of the island, Uptown trains = Bronx bound trains.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
Quote:
I most certainly does.

It most certainly does not. This general ignorance of Manhattan is common. The fact that you bring up Downtown shows your general lack of understanding of Manhattan.

Downtown isn't even the second largest office zone in Manhattan. That would be Midtown South, which is a blanket term for anything between Canal Street and 34th Street.

Folks who don't understand Manhattan look at the place and see two main clusters of office towers, and so think "two downtowns". They don't understand that the area between the two is often a more important office zone than the bookends.

Again, there is no break whatsoever between what is commonly called Midtown and Downtown. The highrises in the center are slightly shorter than on the bookends, but this area is much more important than Downtown, and is arguably the best area of NYC.

Rents are higher, vacancies are lower, and Downtown is actually where firms who can't afford this area usually move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City