U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:15 PM

725 posts, read 743,455 times
I've been to both cities...

Atlanta:

Atlanta is a larger city and has a more diverse economy.
The cost of living is lower.
The weather is warmer
east coast connections
better nighlife
demographics: more diverse lots of AA's

Seattle.
Beautiful city
Excellant public transportation
great seafood
great economy
less crime
really cloudy, rains a lot
demographics: less diverse, but more asians

What I would watch out for is that the bad schools in ATL are VERY bad. If you move to Atlanta make sure you thouroghly investigate the school if you have kids, because it can be some of the worst in the nation. However there are a lot of benefits to ATL... it is one of the fastest growing cities for a reason. Also I believe ATL has a better post-secondary education. Furthermore it has a more exciting entertainment industry. With movie productions, more celebrities, entertainers, and events. Better fine dining with a few 4 star restaurants and celebrity restuarants. More 24 hour options and better nightlife and of couse temerate climate and low cost living.

The strengths of Seattle is that it is a very safe and very urban city with some of the best public transportation in the nation. In fact, during rush hours public transit around the city is free. It is a very safe and very urban city. Surely one of the best on the west coast.

That's what I observed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 PM

1,251 posts, read 976,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
I've been to both cities...

Atlanta:

Atlanta is a larger city and has a more diverse economy.
The cost of living is lower.
The weather is warmer
east coast connections
better nighlife
demographics: more diverse lots of AA's

Seattle.
Beautiful city
Excellant public transportation
great seafood
great economy
less crime
really cloudy, rains a lot
demographics: less diverse, but more asians

What I would watch out for is that the bad schools in ATL are VERY bad. If you move to Atlanta make sure you thouroghly investigate the school if you have kids, because it can be some of the worst in the nation. However there are a lot of benefits to ATL... it is one of the fastest growing cities for a reason. Also I believe ATL has a better post-secondary education. Furthermore it has a more exciting entertainment industry. With movie productions, more celebrities, entertainers, and events. Better fine dining with a few 4 star restaurants and celebrity restuarants. More 24 hour options and better nightlife and of couse temerate climate and low cost living.

The strengths of Seattle is that it is a very safe and very urban city with some of the best public transportation in the nation. In fact, during rush hours public transit around the city is free. It is a very safe and very urban city. Surely one of the best on the west coast.

That's what I observed...
Seattle has more 4 star restaurants than Atlanta ,downtown Seattle has several.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 PM

725 posts, read 743,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Not really, but you make a good point. Seattle has four star restaurants too

Forbes Travel Guide: 2010 Four-Star Hotel, Restaurant and Spa Award Winners

Old 11-30-2010, 09:01 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,712,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Not really, but you make a good point. Seattle has four star restaurants too

Forbes Travel Guide: 2010 Four-Star Hotel, Restaurant and Spa Award Winners
What's really weird about that Forbes restaurant ranking it that you get the exact same list when you click on 4 star OR 5 star restaurants! Something's obviously not right with that.

That being said, both cities have absolutely excellent restaurant scenes, but I would give a very slight edge to Atlanta simply due to its larger size. Because of this, the depth of offerings here is slightly better.

They are both wonderful cities, though. Seattle happens to be my favorite American city, as a matter of fact.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 PM

1,251 posts, read 976,333 times
[quote=theATLien;16837728]Not really, but you make a good point. Seattle has four star restaurants too
ok

Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,712,878 times
A good comparison as far as restaurants go:

Zagat Survey Food Raw|1 Atlanta

Zagat Survey Food Raw|1 Seattle

Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 PM

6,401 posts, read 6,210,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
According to whom?

Certainly not Michelin which only rates restaurants in Chicago, NYC, Las Vegas and Napa.

And the other top restaurant reviewer, Gayot (which rates restaurants in all cities in the U.S.) placed Atlanta's Restaurant Eugene in it's latest top 40 list. None for Seattle in the latest rankings as seen here, though Seattle has made it in the past with it's last showing in 2006 for The Herbfarm, a list that also included Atlanta's Seeger's.

Now don't get me wrong, I've heard great things about Seattle's restaurant scene and it is definitely below Atlanta's level. From what I know and heard they are probably pretty equal all things considered. But I do believe you are down playing Atlanta's restaurant scene which has in recent years moved up to the upper echelons of foodies and is making some series waves in the biz.

With that said, a quick Zagat search for both cities yields a large amount well rated restaurants:

Food Tops - Seattle - Restaurants & Menus in Seattle - Zagat Survey

Food Tops - Atlanta - Restaurants & Menus in Atlanta - Zagat Survey

Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 PM

256 posts, read 374,176 times
Just to clarify, the City of Seattle is bigger than the City of Atlanta, but the Atlanta metro is vastly larger than the Seattle metro.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 AM

10,180 posts, read 3,997,247 times
I love Atlanta and honestly would probably raise a family there over Seattle. But Seattle is a place I would definitely live in my 20's and enjoy to the fullest before having a family.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:15 AM

15 posts, read 17,622 times
i think seatle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City