Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:47 PM

591 posts, read 819,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Say's the person that lives in San Diego.

Anyways Atlanta-Denver------------------Seattle
Not sure what my location has to do with anything. You can make a new poll if you'd like.
Atlanta Vs. Seattle 2015.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-seattle.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-skylines.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-seattle.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...tarting-5.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Look I make no apologies for not wanting live in an overpriced city that is on the other side of the US away from 70% of the population.If you cant understand because you TOO live on that same coast then I cant make it any clearer for you.

Places like Seattle ,Miami,and San Diego are beautul but obviously its not enough for most people or there would be more people in those cities.
Dont worry though,you can always move to Seattle since they are surrounded by water....

Old 04-23-2015, 05:36 PM

591 posts, read 819,771 times
Quote:
Look I make no apologies for not wanting live in an overpriced city that is on the other side of the US away from 70% of the population.If you cant understand because you TOO live on that same coast then I cant make it any clearer for you.

Places like Seattle ,Miami,and San Diego are beautul but obviously its not enough for most people or there would be more people in those cities.
Dont worry though,you can always move to Seattle since they are surrounded by water....
Fair enough. Anyways, my point is that Seattle is more popular of a city than Atlanta.
And I do plan on moving to Seattle soon!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. Anyways, my point is that Seattle is more popular of a city than Atlanta.
Popular to whom?Im African American and I know first hand more African Americans are not flocking to Seattle even though Seattle might be on the wish listSOMEDAY.But well after places like Honolulu,Miami,Orlando,VegasNYC ,Chicago ,even San Diego etc.Thats not only African Americans too although Seattle always ranks high on peoples list

iF you are only talking facts ,then Seattle gets nowhere near the amount of visitors to Atlanta gets.And no it has nothing to do with the airport.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 PM

214 posts, read 300,014 times
Quote:
Atlanta is not ranked at the top with LA.Its bad but not even close to LA.

You make no sense.In one breathe you say its a bad system because other systems use light rail.So it bad because other cities dont want to pay for heavy rail?How does that make it bad?

MARTA goes to the airport then where are those people going to who use the system?Apparently its accessible enough for people to get to it.

Many airports are connected by rail so how that any different for ATlanta?Not to mention MARTA goes pretty far north where many of the jobs are.

How are you able to say its not a good transit system but in the same breath complain that it has high ridership because it takes people Downtown as if Midtown ,Buckhead and other parts dont exist?

You wanna get an idea off how many jobs near MARTA?Not sure but many companies are building and relocating near MARTA stations.
NCR,now Kaiser Permanente with its 900 new jobs are just some recently that have move near transit .
Are you not aware that Atlanta had the highest ridership increase in the U.S.?Its because of the growth
Yes there is GRTA which is express service to the burbs,Also Clayton county now has MARTA and a couple of countes have there own systems that connect to MARTA
Let me keep it simple.

MARTA has somewhat high ridership as it connects downtown Atlanta to the busiest airport in the USA. Outside of that line the ridership isn't anything to brag about.

There have been studies done to determine how many jobs are accessible by transit within 20 to 30 minutes and guess how Metro Atlanta ranked there? Well behind the other leading metros including Seattle.

It could be worse, but don't kid yourself and pretend it's one of the top transit systems in the country.

I enjoy visiting Atlanta but transit is not one thing it excels at.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 PM

560 posts, read 666,881 times
Quote:
Greater Atlanta has 5.6 million people. Greater Seattle has 3.5 million people. Greater Atlanta is growing at a faster clip, both in sheer numbers and as a percentage of their overall population. Greater Atlanta is predicted to gain a couple million more people in the next 15 years. Greater Seattle? About a half a million more.

Additionally, Atlanta receives significantly more visitors each year, both nationally and internationally. Tourists, conventioneers, etc.

So more popular for who? City-Data enthusiasts such as yourself?

I'm in a position where I lived in Atlanta for decades and I've been living in Seattle (er, Bellevue anyways) for years. Seattle has a number of strengths over Atlanta. Less violent crime, more scenic, etc.

But Seattle has a lot of issues that are either ignored by elitist CD posters or simply not understood to exist because most posters haven't actually been here before, any more than they've actually been to Atlanta before. They are simply parroting the opinions of other, equally misinformed people.

Seattle has a lot going for it. It is not, outside of this website, more popular than Atlanta. Population statistics bear this out.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 PM

560 posts, read 666,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo_golf_guy View Post
Let me keep it simple.

MARTA has somewhat high ridership as it connects downtown Atlanta to the busiest airport in the USA. Outside of that line the ridership isn't anything to brag about.

There have been studies done to determine how many jobs are accessible by transit within 20 to 30 minutes and guess how Metro Atlanta ranked there? Well behind the other leading metros including Seattle.

It could be worse, but don't kid yourself and pretend it's one of the top transit systems in the country.

MARTA also connects to Midtown (a huge commercial and retail district), Buckhead (huge commercial and retail district) and the Northern Perimeter (huge commercial and retail district).

By comparison, you wanna go to Bellevue (huge commercial and retail district) from Seattle? You gotta take a bus. You wanna go from SEA-TAC to Bellevue? You gotta take a bus.

Atlanta has AT LEAST three commercial hubs and districts that are directly connected to the Airport by heavy rail. Seattle has one commercial district connected to the Airport ... by light rail.

Last edited by paris-on-ponce; 04-23-2015 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: soften my tone

Old 04-23-2015, 06:51 PM

214 posts, read 300,014 times
Quote:
Popular to whom?Im African American and I know first hand more African Americans are not flocking to Seattle even though Seattle might be on the wish listSOMEDAY.But well after places like Honolulu,Miami,Orlando,VegasNYC ,Chicago ,even San Diego etc.Thats not only African Americans too although Seattle always ranks high on peoples list

iF you are only talking facts ,then Seattle gets nowhere near the amount of visitors to Atlanta gets.And no it has nothing to do with the airport.
Atlanta is way more international than Seattle. I don't know if comparing Atlanta and Seattle makes for the most valid comparison. Seattle is much more in the same class as Minneapolis. Metro Atlanta is pushing around 6 million now versus Seattle which may be closing in on 4.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Let me keep it simple.

Seattle benefits from a small land area of 83sq mi versus Atlanta at 138 sq mi.
MARCTA goes about Miles at its longest length.

No MARTA does not cover 38 counties that make up the largest metropolitan area in North America.Much like LA does not either
One fact however is that MARTA does is among the top in system length.at 48 miles.From the airport to about 25 miles north to the suburbs of Alpharetta.It goes the several major business areas like Buckhead,Perimeter/Dunwoody and Alpharetta,Well beyond downtown so Im not sure why you keep saying downtown when the MArta goes well beyond it to other employment clusters.

If Seattle were nearly as big as Atlanta land wise or population wise it would also be lacking as Atlanta is not as compact as Seattle.
Midtown and Buckhead combined have more jobs than downtown

Considering that its the biggest syetem in the South,I'd say it something to brag about because the South os the fastest growing region

Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Let me keep it simple.

Let's be real though...if you're visiting Atlanta, why would you need to go out to the suburbs? MARTA covers all of the major destinations and most of the interesting neighborhoods in the city. I'll take Atlanta's current transit situation over Seattle's anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City