Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times

Advertisements

Lake Union

Green Lake

Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,320 times
Seattle seems like a nicer place to live. Has great urban qualities, but also has the great outdoors. The natural topography is astounding.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
Downtown Seattle seems to be healthy how is Center City Philadelphia. By size Emporis reports downtown Seattle has 315 skyscrapers and highrise buildings downtown. And Downtown Seatttle has over 50 projects under construction including many more skyscrapers. Emporis Reports Center City Philadelphia has 248 skyscrapers and highrise I dont know how many they have under construction. Retail wise Seattle has five of its downtown department stores filled with retail. Only three are traditional department stores. The old WoolWorth department store is a two story Ross, and the old Kress Department Store is being turned into a three story TJMAX. Un traditional but better than empty department stores. Downtown Seattle has more Hotels than Center city .Seattle has 14,000+ hotel rooms downtown with four new hotels starting construction this year. Philadelphia reports it has 12,000 hotel rooms in center city. Downtown Seattle has 45million square ft of office space and Philadelphia has 40million in center city. Where Philadelphia excells is its downtown population of people living in center city between 80,000 and 90,000 the third largest downtown population in the USA . Compared Seattle's is between 60,000 and 70,000. Philadelphia also has one of the largest downtown workforces in the USA center city has close to 300,000 workers. Seattle at the most has 245,000 workers downtown. I really like both cities I hope they both take off and grow fast. It seems with such a large population and work force Philadelphia would have more downtown retail .

Last edited by ironcouger; 01-28-2013 at 05:15 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 AM

725 posts, read 1,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Downtown Seattle seems to be healthy how is Center City Philadelphia. By size Emporis reports downtown Seattle has 315 skyscrapers and highrise buildings downtown. And Downtown Seatttle has over 50 projects under construction including many more skyscrapers. Emporis Reports Center City Philadelphia has 248 skyscrapers and highrise I dont know how many they have under construction. Retail wise Seattle has five of its downtown department stores filled with retail. Only three are traditional department stores. The old WoolWorth department store is a two story Ross, and the old Kress Department Store is being turned into a three story TJMAX. Un traditional but better than empty department stores. Downtown Seattle has more Hotels than Center city .Seattle has 14,000+ hotel rooms downtown with four new hotels starting construction this year. Philadelphia reports it has 12,000 hotel rooms in center city. Downtown Seattle has 45million square ft of office space and Philadelphia has 40million in center city. Where Philadelphia excells is its downtown population of people living in center city between 80,000 and 90,000 the third largest downtown population in the USA . Compared Seattle's is between 60,000 and 70,000. Philadelphia also has one of the largest downtown workforces in the USA center city has close to 300,000 workers. Seattle at the most has 245,000 workers downtown. I really like both cities I hope they both take off and grow fast. It seems with such a large population and work force Philadelphia would have more downtown retail .
I don't have alot of time but Philadelphia is a educational center which means it hold students in the city. So if you want the population of center city you have to add 100,000 I'n students only. Plus we have Univercity city which has another 100,000 plus the amount of ppl. While they might stack up on other stats vibrancy is something Philadelphia exels in. It beats out most city's. Heck ppl argue its more vibrant then Chicago, tho its bigger. Phillys colonial architecture is unmatched only by Boston and New York and is something you can't build these days. It's the example all these new city's followed...

Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM

932 posts, read 1,943,666 times
Quote:
You're mistaken on some of your statistics here. Emporis reports that Philadelphia has 331 standing skyscrapers and high rises. Seattle has 228. Those numbers are for the entire city limits, not just the downtown, but still Seattle cannot have more buildings downtown than it has in its entire city limits.

Retail interests me less, it's present, including one of the largest Macy's in the country, 154,000 sqft per their website. There's a booming high end shopping district that won't stop growing, and there's the gallery. Not really going to take you point for point on that, like I said, retail doesn't interest me.

As far as downtown population, the numbers vary wildly. I've seen claims that Philadelphia has as much as 120,000 people "downtown" and as few as 54,000. Part of the problem is that "downtown" Philadelphia is all of Center City, plus lower North Philly, upper South Philly and eastern West Philly. Center City is a defined neighborhood with fixed borders, but the areas of other parts of the city that touch CC have become assimilated as part of the downtown area. CC's population as of 2010 was around 54,000. Still huge. Include a few blocks in each direction of contiguous downtown and the number easily doubles. Seattle's downtown population as of 2010, as published by the city government, is around 18,000. Still respectable. Remember, people don't traditionally live in the downtown districts. They only live there in New York because there's no where else to live.

There are 4 new hotels scheduled to go up this year, including one that is planed to be between 600-800ft tall. Four new hotels heading to Philadelphia - Philly.com

I cannot comment on office space, but I do know that the cost is going up in Phila, after bottoming out during the recession.

As far as new construction, well other posters have covered that too many times for me to bother reposting it. It was posted at least twice in this thread, but suffice it to say, Philly has somewhere around 200 buildings going up right now, low rises, high rises and skyscrapers.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I can guarantee you dt Seattle has way more than 18,000 residents. That's ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I can guarantee you dt Seattle has way more than 18,000 residents. That's ridiculous.
That's not very surprising considering that few CBDs have large residential populations.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
You're mistaken on some of your statistics here. Emporis reports that Philadelphia has 331 standing skyscrapers and high rises. Seattle has 228. Those numbers are for the entire city limits, not just the downtown, but still Seattle cannot have more buildings downtown than it has in its entire city limits.

Retail interests me less, it's present, including one of the largest Macy's in the country, 154,000 sqft per their website. There's a booming high end shopping district that won't stop growing, and there's the gallery. Not really going to take you point for point on that, like I said, retail doesn't interest me.

As far as downtown population, the numbers vary wildly. I've seen claims that Philadelphia has as much as 120,000 people "downtown" and as few as 54,000. Part of the problem is that "downtown" Philadelphia is all of Center City, plus lower North Philly, upper South Philly and eastern West Philly. Center City is a defined neighborhood with fixed borders, but the areas of other parts of the city that touch CC have become assimilated as part of the downtown area. CC's population as of 2010 was around 54,000. Still huge. Include a few blocks in each direction of contiguous downtown and the number easily doubles. Seattle's downtown population as of 2010, as published by the city government, is around 18,000. Still respectable. Remember, people don't traditionally live in the downtown districts. They only live there in New York because there's no where else to live.

There are 4 new hotels scheduled to go up this year, including one that is planed to be between 600-800ft tall. Four new hotels heading to Philadelphia - Philly.com

I cannot comment on office space, but I do know that the cost is going up in Phila, after bottoming out during the recession.

As far as new construction, well other posters have covered that too many times for me to bother reposting it. It was posted at least twice in this thread, but suffice it to say, Philly has somewhere around 200 buildings going up right now, low rises, high rises and skyscrapers.
The downtown Seattle association 2010 census report, reported downtown Seattles population at 54,000 . Then last summer When the new city Target opened it was reported downtown Seattle's population had made it to 60,000. And emporis Says Seattle has 246 highrise and 69 skyscrapers downtown Seattle. When I counted the buildings for Philadelphia I only went by the buildings in center city comparing downtowns. Did you go on Emporis recently ? I just double checked . And the 46 projects I was talking about are just Highrise and Midrise apartments that started downtown in 2012. Theres hundreds of projects going on in downtown Seattle Also some of the projects are in the billion dollar range all downtown. I see what you went by on emporis and how emporis brakes up the skyline in Seattle . Seattle only has one Skyline Emporis left the neighborhoods of Firsthill , SouthLake Union, and Capitol Hill wich are all connected big areas of highrise . The city of Seattle downtown association considers parts of First hill,Capitol Hill and Southlake Union all downtown Seattle's center city. Seattle only has one highrise neighborhood as it fills up Seattle keeps upzoning the areas pushing the downtown boundries but keeping it in a central area. Call it what you want but Seattle has 246 buildings and 69 skyscrapers all in one continuious skyline.

Last edited by ironcouger; 01-28-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM

932 posts, read 1,943,666 times
Quote:
The downtown Seattle association 2010 census report, reported downtown Seattles population at 54,000 . Then last summer When the new city Target opened it was reported downtown Seattle's population had made it to 60,000. And emporis Says Seattle has 246 highrise and 69 skyscrapers downtown Seattle. When I counted the buildings for Philadelphia I only went by the buildings in center city comparing downtowns. Did you go on Emporis recently ? I just double checked . And the 46 projects I was talking about are just Highrise and Midrise apartments that started downtown in 2012. Theres hundreds of projects going on in downtown Seattle Also some of the projects are in the billion dollar range all downtown. I see what you went by on emporis and how emporis brakes up the skyline in Seattle . Seattle only has one Skyline Emporis left the neighborhoods of Firsthill , SouthLake Union, and Capitol Hill wich are all connected big areas of highrise . The city of Seattle downtown association considers parts of First hill,Capitol Hill and Southlake Union all downtown Seattle's center city. Seattle only has one highrise neighborhood as it fills up Seattle keeps upzoning the areas pushing the downtown boundries but keeping it in a central area. Call it what you want but Seattle has 246 buildings and 69 skyscrapers all in one continuious skyline.
Where are you getting these numbers? Links?

Last edited by BTA88; 01-28-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post

The link only says its neighborhood 13 18,000 theres more than one neighborhood downtown the same as Center City has multiple neighborhoods. I got my nubers from downtown Seattle Association.

I would post links dont know how to on my pad sorry . I googled Seattle downtown total population and I got the Downtown Seatttle association 2010 demograpics report . Its downtownseattle.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City