U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,042,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Actually, Philly is a big seafood city, but not as big as Boston or Baltimore, so it's somewhat overshadowed.
Or Seattle.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,353,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Yeah, Seattle stops serving booze at 2am - as does Philly. I was just on Upper Pike (in Capitol Hill) this weekend and the streets were packed at 2 am with people pouring out of the dozens and dozens of bars and clubs in the area, lining up for pizza and hot dogs. Very vibrant, alive, and fun. There are a decent number of fun, active nightlife areas in Seattle that get busy, and there are tons of great bars and music venues, as well a growing club scene. In fact, Seattle has more bars per capita than Philly, and I'd venture a wider variety of places to go as well.
No it doesn't There are atleast 200 bars in the city designated as "after hours bars" which don't close until 4am. Actually went to one last weekend called Lit Ultrabar. The fact that you suggest the Seattle has more bars and a wider variety of places to go is downright laughable. Per capita doesn't mean more raw number. And more per capita means less people in each bar which means not as great of a time if you ask me.

By typing "Bars in Seattle" into Google, the results were 6,183.
bars seattle - Google Maps

By typing "Bars in Philadelphia" into Google, the results were 10,832.
bars philadelphia - Google Maps

By typing "Night clubs in Seattle" into Google, the results were 1,619.
night clubs seattle - Google Maps

By typing "Night clubs in Philadelphia" into Google, the results were 2,752.
night clubs philadelphia - Google Maps

By typing "Music Venue in Seattle" into Google, the results were 1,123.
music venue seattle - Google Maps

By typing "Music Venue in Philadelphia" into Google, the results were 1,857.
music venue philadelphia - Google Maps

By typing "Theaters in Seattle" into Google, the results were 1,442.
theaters seattle - Google Maps

By typing "Theater in Philadelphia" into Google, the results were 2,937.
theaters philadelphia - Google Maps

By typing "Restaurants in Seattle" into Google, the results were 11,403.
restaurants seattle - Google Maps

By typing "Restaurants in Philadelphia" into Google, the results were 28,455.
restaurants philadelphia - Google Maps

There is simply more to do in Philadelphia by a substial amount in every category which in turn means a wider variety of things to do. You guys on City-Data crack me up with your ridiculous logic.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Sounded like he has more nice to say about the food in Seattle.
If you want to play that game... he talks a lot more about the culture and historical sites in Philadelphia as well as the passion and heart of the people which he "digs." That must suggest that Seattle doesn't have much to do outside of food and it's people are soulless... see what I did there?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,821,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
No it doesn't There are atleast 200 bars in the city designated as "after hours bars" which don't close until 4am. Actually went to one last weekend called Lit Ultrabar. The fact that you suggest the Seattle has more bars and a wider variety of places to go is downright laughable. Per capita doesn't mean more raw number. And more per capita means less people in each bar which means not as great of a time if you ask me.

By typing "Bars in Seattle" into Google, the results were 6,183.
bars seattle - Google Maps

By typing "Bars in Philadelphia" into Google, the results were 10,832.
bars philadelphia - Google Maps

By typing "Night clubs in Seattle" into Google, the results were 1,619.
night clubs seattle - Google Maps

By typing "Night clubs in Philadelphia" into Google, the results were 2,752.
night clubs philadelphia - Google Maps

By typing "Music Venue in Seattle" into Google, the results were 1,123.
music venue seattle - Google Maps

By typing "Music Venue in Philadelphia" into Google, the results were 1,857.
music venue philadelphia - Google Maps

By typing "Theaters in Seattle" into Google, the results were 1,442.
theaters seattle - Google Maps

By typing "Theater in Philadelphia" into Google, the results were 2,937.
theaters philadelphia - Google Maps

By typing "Restaurants in Seattle" into Google, the results were 11,403.
restaurants seattle - Google Maps

By typing "Restaurants in Philadelphia" into Google, the results were 28,455.
restaurants philadelphia - Google Maps

There is simply more to do in Philadelphia by a substial amount in every category which in turn means a wider variety of things to do. You guys on City-Data crack me up with your ridiculous logic.
Again, thank you for proving my point. Philly has over twice Seattle's population, so clearly Seattle does have more of all of the types of places/venues per capita than Philly. The only exception, according to your flawed google maps search, is restaurants. And that is just wrong. According to this list, Seattle has the fifth highest restaurant density in the country: Inside Scoop SF Report: San Francisco has the highest density of restaurants in America, by far

Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Again, thank you for proving my point. Philly has over twice Seattle's population, so clearly Seattle does have more of all of the types of places/venues per capita than Philly. The only exception, according to your flawed google maps search, is restaurants. And that is just wrong. According to this list, Seattle has the fifth highest restaurant density in the country: Inside Scoop SF Report: San Francisco has the highest density of restaurants in America, by far
AGAIN! DENSITY! NOT RAW NUMBER! What do you not understand about this? Either way you slice it Philadelphia still has more of everything. Simple fact. Google search is the most accurate tool we have for this type of research. But instead you can go on trusting some "study" done by some random group in San Francisco. Haha... okay. Why don't we just resort to Travel And Leisure rankings while we're at it? Those "lists" and "studies" all have specific criteria and biases. Google has no criteria and no biases but will list everything in an area you search for. Is if flawed because you don't like the results? I think so

Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,042,868 times
I just can't get over your unflagging cry that more trumps better.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:51 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,821,159 times
Quote:
AGAIN! DENSITY! NOT RAW NUMBER! What do you not understand about this? Either way you slice it Philadelphia still has more of everything. Simple fact. Google search is the most accurate tool we have for this type of research. But instead you can go on trusting some "study" done by some random group in San Francisco. Haha... okay. Why don't we just resort to Travel And Leisure rankings while we're at it? Those "lists" and "studies" all have specific criteria and biases. Google has no criteria and no biases but will list everything in an area you search for. Is if flawed because you don't like the results? I think so
Those numbers may provide a rough gauge for proportion, but I guarantee you neither Philly nor Seattle have thousands of bars or tens of thousands of restaurants. In fact, NYC has just under 10,000 restaurants.

Also, as long as we're talking about cities with 500,000+ population, per capita is more important than raw number, IMO.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Those numbers may provide a rough gauge for proportion, but I guarantee you neither Philly nor Seattle have thousands of bars or tens of thousands of restaurants. In fact, NYC has just under 10,000 restaurants.

Also, as long as we're talking about cities with 500,000+ population, per capita is more important than raw number, IMO.
I believe those numbers are metro areas actually. Maybe not entire metros but yeahhh and also, "restaurant" in the search includes every type of eating establishment.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM

5,257 posts, read 12,568,975 times
Quote:
If you want to play that game... he talks a lot more about the culture and historical sites in Philadelphia as well as the passion and heart of the people which he "digs." That must suggest that Seattle doesn't have much to do outside of food and it's people are soulless... see what I did there?

Summersm43, give it up. There are people in the world that do enjoy U.S. cities outside of Philadelphia. Your city is bigger and older and more dense with more stuff but don't ever try and take away what Seattle has to offer. It's an awesome city with tons to offer. Until you and many others on here actually visit, you really can't talk smack about it.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM

215 posts, read 333,181 times
I just left Seattle for my first visit today and I miss it already. Here's my take: it's clean, liberal, modern, versatile, adaptable, with multiple gears. It doesn't have the 6th speed that NY, LA, Chicago, Miami, Vegas, New Orleans and Atlanta have but it's certainly has all the other functions that the top tier cities have in other desired amenities. In my opinion, Boston, San Franciso and Seattle had a threesome.

Last edited by 1Milehigh; 02-11-2013 at 11:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City