Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:10 AM

580 posts, read 1,180,335 times

Advertisements

I am getting a little disgusted with all of this Seattle boosting. And people thought the Philadelphia boosters were bad?

The cities most known building is something that looks like Marty Mcfly wished for out of Back to the Future. And the Space Needle is not even a skyscraper, but an observation deck/gift shop with a couple of restaurants. Also, for anyone who has been to Seattle knows its not even located in its actual downtown area - if I remember correctly its about 2 miles from downtown.

I realize Philadelphia has their problems, but Seattle is overmatched with this one. Go play with Pittsburgh, the other PA city lol.

Last edited by Ice Cream Man; 03-06-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
And the Space Needle is not even a skyscraper, but an observation deck/gift shop with a couple of restaurants. Also, for anyone who has been to Seartle know its not even located in its actual downtown area - if I remember correctly its about 4 miles from downtown.
Uhm... No.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:

The cities most known building is something that looks as if it's something Marty Mcfly wished for out of Back to the Future. And the Space Needle is not even a skyscraper, but an observation deck/gift shop with a couple of restaurants. Also, for anyone who has been to Seartle know its not even located in its actual downtown area - if I remember correctly its about 2 miles from downtown.
It's 2 miles from the International District on the south edge of downtown to the Space Needle. It's not 2 miles from most of downtown to the Space Needle.

It was built up there where the Seattle Center is now, because that's where the World's Fair in 1962 was based.

On the plus side of downtown Seattle, all the sports stadiums are located downtown(and a new arena for NBA and NHL located right on the south edge of downtown coming soon)

Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's 2 miles from the International District on the south edge of downtown to the Space Needle. It's not 2 miles from most of downtown to the Space Needle.

It was built up there where the Seattle Center is now, because that's where the World's Fair in 1962 was based.

On the plus side of downtown Seattle, all the sports stadiums are located downtown(and a new arena for NBA and NHL located right on the south edge of downtown coming soon)
Now, Deezus I consider you a fair poster and understand where you are coming from with this post. In honesty, when I visit cities my favorite thing to do us just start in the center of downtown and walk and walk and walk until my legs can't walk anymore. I like to get lost in the cities I visit.

I am normally not into the tourist stuff but instead try to live the everyday life as someone who is living there. It's possible I started out in downtown and walked for a couple miles in the opposite direction of the Space Needle and then called my cab. I know cabbies in NY and other cities take tourists on the longest route possible to make more money. The cab ride felt like it took around 30 minutes and it was 4 pm (rush hour) so the traffic felt like it was on the level of Bangkok. Seattle needs more transit options, wouldn't hurt Philly to add one either.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
I am getting a little disgusted with all of this Seattle boosting. And people thought the Philadelphia boosters were bad?

The cities most known building is something that looks loke Marty Mcfly wished for out of Back to the Future. And the Space Needle is not even a skyscraper, but an observation deck/gift shop with a couple of restaurants. Also, for anyone who has been to Seattle knows its not even located in its actual downtown area - if I remember correctly its about 2 miles from downtown.

I realize Philadelphia has their problems, but Seattle is overmatched with this one. Go play with Pittsburgh, the other PA city lol.

Thia discussion pertains to which city you would rather live. It's a subjective question and I am not personally surprised by the poll results. Seattle is a much more homogenized place, better suited for families and more appealing to the masses.

Now as far as comparison of great cities ? You are correct Seattle is better suited for a comparison with Pittsburgh.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Thia discussion pertains to which city you would rather live. It's a subjective question and I am not personally surprised by the poll results. Seattle is a much more homogenized place, better suited for families and more appealing to the masses.

Now as far as comparison of great cities ? You are correct Seattle is better suited for a comparison with Pittsburgh.
Ultimate Philly booster,

This discussion DOES NOT pertain to where someone would rather live. I would suggest going back to the OP and reading what he stated in his criteria for what he wanted discussed. There was around 15 topics he wanted discussed, I am capable of reading comprehension.

I am surprised by the poll results and if you look at who voted for Seattle lots are posters have zero post or are under ten, which means its not even a real account.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:

The cities most known building is something that looks like Marty Mcfly wished for out of Back to the Future. And the Space Needle is not even a skyscraper, but an observation deck/gift shop with a couple of restaurants. Also, for anyone who has been to Seattle knows its not even located in its actual downtown area - if I remember correctly its about 2 miles from downtown.

I think it's been a pretty good discussion for the most part after all these pages. No the
Space Needle isn't downtown, but so what. It is a 90 second monarail ride from the
heart of dt Seattle at 5th & Pine right across the street from Nordstrom. And stop making excuses for the poll results. It's a poll for crying out loud.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:

I am surprised by the poll results and if you look at who voted for Seattle lots are posters have zero post or are under ten, which means its not even a real account.
I don't have the time or the desire to do background checks on who is voting in this poll.

The heading of the thread asks" Where would you rather live".

From my experiences on city-data a much smaller,wealthier, safer,more tidy,better educated (k-12)city like Seattle is going to be preferred over Philadelphia.

So Philadelphia may have an advantage in fine dining and arts + culture. That may not be enough for some pollsters to overcome the poor K-12 schools, and crime in lower socio parts of Philadelphia.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I don't have the time or the desire to do background checks on who is voting in this poll.

The heading of the thread asks" Where would you rather live".

From my experiences on city-data a much smaller,more tidy, safer,better educated k-12, wealthier city like Seattle is going to be preferred over Philadelphia.

For the record I gave Philadelphia a clear cut advantage in 10 of the 17 criteria issues.
So, not enough time to do background checks on everyone, but enough time to put up over 3400 posts with every single one of them boosting Philly to the max?

The heading says where you would rather live, but its all suppose to be based on the criteria asked for in the OP by the original poster. And it clearly states "anything else I may have forgotten".

Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
So, not enough time to do background checks on everyone, but enough time to put up over 3400 posts with every single one of them boosting Philly to the max?

You have stalking issues dont you? Now you are looking into my background. Get a grip newbie.

I dont boost Philly I tend to defend it when need be.Think Realist as opposed to a Homer. In fact right now Im trying to tell you that you shouldnt be surprised that Seattle is preferred over Philadelphia. How is that me boosting Philadelphia?

For the record I have avery modest 1.19 posts per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City