U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:28 AM

11,828 posts, read 9,827,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
"btw despise is an understatement, if I shared how I feel about your city which are along the lines of an event that happened 70 years ago, I would be banned from this forum."
I don't know if it says more about your mental state or how Philly can be very emotionally polarizing, that you feel this way from your half-daytrip to the city and visit to the Liberty Bell LOL.

Anyway, Seattle VS Philadelphia? No contest, Philadelphia.

I would love to live out West in the future, but Seattle is not even in the back of my mind as a place to live or even visit to be honest. It seems even more isolated than other Western cities and the Weather is terrible, maybe the worst in the Country. It just seems like a very depressing place IMO. The city is dominated by non-ethnic Whites and Asians, and there are very few children, which only adds to the "soulless" aspect of it.

Beside my own negative impression of Seattle, compared to Philadelphia it also is lacking in Public Transit, Urbanity/Walkability, Affordability, Nightlife, Sports, current Music/Arts scene and a local culture/local traditions. All things I deem very important in a complete city.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 10-16-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 AM

3,580 posts, read 3,664,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't know if it says more about your mental state or how Philly can be very emotionally polarizing, that you feel this way from your half-daytrip to the city and visit to the Liberty Bell LOL.

I would love to live out West in the future, but Seattle is not even in the back of my mind as a place to live or even visit to be honest. It seems even more isolated than other Western cities and the Weather is terrible, maybe the worst in the Country. It just seems like a very depressing place IMO. The city is dominated by non-ethnic Whites and Asians, and there are very few children, which only adds to the "soulless" aspect of it.

Beside my own negative impression of Seattle, compared to Philadelphia it also is lacking in Public Transit, Urbanity/Walkability, Affordability, Nightlife, Sports, current Music/Arts scene and a local culture/local traditions. All things I deem very important in a complete city.
That's quite an assessment from someone who I am going to assume has never been to Seattle based on what you have said above. I think if you actually went out there you will be surprised at how great a city Seattle actually is.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
That's quite an assessment from someone who I am going to assume has never been to Seattle based on what you have said above. I think if you actually went out there you will be surprised at how great a city Seattle actually is.
I don't doubt Seattle is a great city, but those are my honest impressions depsite never visiting. I have a similar distaste for Phoenix (for some different reasons) but am sure is a nice city and fits for many people yet have never been there either and don't desire to.

I could see why Seattle would be a great place for other types of people. I've seen some amazing pictures of Seattle and it's skyline with the Mountains in the backdrop and I know the scenery and outdoor options are spectacular. Although a swimmable Beach within 1-2 Hours is a must for me. The seafood and restaurants I don't doubt as being top notch. I'm sure Seattle's Chinatown is authentic and bustling. Proximity to Vancouver and Portland is very cool, but I'd personally much rather just live in one of those cities. I guess I shouldn't say I would never want to visit, but I could never see myself living there, even though I would like to live out West for some time in the future.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 10-16-2012 at 07:46 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM

20,110 posts, read 21,722,272 times
I like how this topic is a honeypot for nerds.

Nerds.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 AM

20,110 posts, read 21,722,272 times
On topic: I'd be about as happy living in either city. There are some strong differences between them with Philadelphia being the larger city with larger areas with issues, but they're essentially neck and neck overall. Both seem poised to become more bigger and more influential in the near future.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 AM

3,455 posts, read 6,167,539 times
Quote:
I don't doubt Seattle is a great city, but those are my honest impressions depsite never visiting. I have a similar distaste for Phoenix (for some different reasons) but am sure is a nice city and fits for many people yet have never been there either and don't desire to.

I could see why Seattle would be a great place for other types of people. I've seen some amazing pictures of Seattle and it's skyline with the Mountains in the backdrop and I know the scenery and outdoor options are spectacular. Although a swimmable Beach within 1-2 Hours is a must for me. The seafood and restaurants I don't doubt as being top notch. I'm sure Seattle's Chinatown is authentic and bustling. Proximity to Vancouver and Portland is very cool, but I'd personally much rather just live in one of those cities. I guess I shouldn't say I would never want to visit, but I could never see myself living there, even though I would like to live out West for some time in the future.
You mentioned how awful you thought the weather is in Seattle...do you realize that the weather is nearly identical in Portland and Vancouver...?

Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,558,881 times
Quote:

Lol! You sound exactly like my NJ relatives who always seem to criticise places yet they've never been out of NJ. How can you have such a strong opinion on a place you never set foot in? I was an east coaster. African american too. Seattle was the best move I ever made. Seattle is awesome.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
You mentioned how awful you thought the weather is in Seattle...do you realize that the weather is nearly identical in Portland and Vancouver...?
Well just by looking at the charts on city-data it seems Portland and Vancouver have somewhat higher temps in the Summer and more sunshine/less precipitation overall but you are correct in that I would not enjoy the weather at all in any of these cities.
I enjoy a rainy day now and again but not nearly as much as is offered in Seattle/Portland. Although, I'm sure the rain makes the scenery green and beautiful, much like Ireland I would imagine.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Lol! You sound exactly like my NJ relatives who always seem to criticise places yet they've never been out of NJ. How can you have such a strong opinion on a place you never set foot in? I was an east coaster. African american too. Seattle was the best move I ever made. Seattle is awesome.
Everyone has strong opinions and I have been to many places around the country and World, although not nearly as many as I wish to. But when I do visit a place I throw all my pre-conceived opinions out the window and experience the city with an open mind. I'm just usually right haha.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,341,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
On topic: I'd be about as happy living in either city. There are some strong differences between them with Philadelphia being the larger city with larger areas with issues, but they're essentially neck and neck overall. Both seem poised to become more bigger and more influential in the near future.
Because Philadelphia is larger, sure it has larger areas with problems but it also has larger middle class areas and larger wealthy areas as well. I don't see why you commented on one but neglected the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City