Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:22 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times

Advertisements

Seattle of Course. That place is over flowing with beauty, the people there are very friendly. It used to be my number one favorite city in the US (it is number 2 now)

- Weather- Seattle
- Dining (Upscale)- Seattle
- Restaurants/Food (Variety, what kinds, etc)- Seattle
- Public Transit (Rail)- Philly
- Downtown (amenities)- I like Seattle's better
- Housing (The variations)- Seattle
- Diversity (The People)- Close
- Arts (Art Galleries, Theaters, Symphonies, etc)- Philly
- Scenery- Seattle to the max
- Historical sites- Philly to the max
- Outdoor activities (please list)- Seattle to the max
- Economy (Sheer size)- Philly
- Economy (On health)- Seattle
- Education (K-12)- Seattle
- Education (Higher ed)- Philly, although Udub is one of my favorite schools
- Parks- close
- Nightlife- Seattle is more my speed.
- Skyline- Seattle
-Friendly People- Seattle

Old 11-30-2010, 10:42 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,707,639 times
Philly is old and ugly and worst of all next to NJ, the NE version of Mississippi...

Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Philly is old and ugly and worst of all next to NJ, the NE version of Mississippi...

age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiam

Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times
I love both NJ and MS.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:24 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
I have been to every major (and many minor) cities in the U.S except......anyplace in New Mexaco......and Seattle. The reason is they were too far off the beaten path and there was no big attraction to draw me all that way.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Question to everyone here. I have not been to Seattle, but I hold Philly in VERY high regard, concerning food/restaurants. I'm surprised to see so many ties and nods to Seattle. Is the food scene there really neck and neck with Philly?

More specifically, I see Philly up there with San Fran and Chicago in terms of food.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:07 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I have been to every major (and many minor) cities in the U.S except......anyplace in New Mexaco......and Seattle. The reason is they were too far off the beaten path and there was no big attraction to draw me all that way.
Well worth the time. Come in the summer. The weather is glorious and the scenery breathtaking. The topography of the northwest is beyond what photographs can possibly demonstrate. It simply must be seen to appreciate its magnificence.

Seriously. Between Seattle and the 3 National Parks all within 60 miles as the crow flies, you'll be plenty busy.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Question to everyone here. I have not been to Seattle, but I hold Philly in VERY high regard, concerning food/restaurants. I'm surprised to see so many ties and nods to Seattle. Is the food scene there really neck and neck with Philly?

More specifically, I see Philly up there with San Fran and Chicago in terms of food.
Seattle's food scene is tremendous and for good reason. The amazing availability of local fruits, vegetables, meats and most importantly fresh Pacific seafood make it a slice of heaven for chefs. The fresh salmon, halibut, cod, Dungeness crab, local shrimp, petrale sole, clams and oysters is simply amazing.

Spend an afternoon at the Pike Place Market. You'll walk away in a trance.

WA is a leading agricultural state. Apples, pears, peaches, grapes nectarines, potatoes strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apricots, potatoes, broccoli, hops, barley, wheat, corn, Walla Walla Onions, etc, all grow in abundance here the rich volcanic soil. Washington's wine country, the 2nd largest producer of wines behind CA, is winning all kinds of awards for its amazing robust and complex reds, and numerous fantastic whites including chards and rieslings and ice wines.

The Asian influence in this area you could liken to the European influences in Philly.

Both cities offer an amazing variety of great places to eat. Until you've experienced both, it's really impossible to compare. I have. I love em both. I prefer Pacific Seafood myself.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:29 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Seattle's food scene is tremendous and for good reason. The amazing availability of local fruits, vegetables, meats and most importantly fresh Pacific seafood make it a slice of heaven for chefs. The fresh salmon, halibut, cod, Dungeness crab, local shrimp, petrale sole, clams and oysters is simply amazing.

WA is a leading agricultural state. Apples, pears, peaches, grapes nectarines, potatoes strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apricots, potatoes, broccoli, Walla Walla Onions, etc, all grow in abundance here the rich volcanic soil. Washington's wine country, the 2nd largest producer of wines behind CA, is winning all kinds of awards for its amazing robust and complex reds, and numerous fantastic whites including chards and rieslings and ice wines.

The Asian influence in this area you could liken to the European influences in Philly.

Both cities offer an amazing variety of great places to eat. Until you've experienced both, it's really impossible to compare. I have. I love em both. I prefer Pacific Seafood myself.
I totally agree with this.

I have never seen a more bountiful selection of excellent produce than what's offered at Pike Place. Not just the quality, but the SIZE of the fruits and vegetables. That soil definately works its magic.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post

WA is a leading agricultural state. Apples, pears, peaches, grapes nectarines, potatoes strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, apricots, potatoes, broccoli, hops, barley, wheat, corn, Walla Walla Onions, etc, all grow in abundance here the rich volcanic soil. Washington's wine country, the 2nd largest producer of wines behind CA, is winning all kinds of awards for its amazing robust and complex reds, and numerous fantastic whites including chards and rieslings and ice wines.

Great information, and it makes sense. How do you feel the restaurant scene composes itself in terms of environment/ambiance?

Either way, I'll have to make sure I make it to Pike Place when I go for my Seattle/Vancouver trip. Good food makes almost any city go up a few notches on my scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City