Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 05:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i gotta visit seattle to make a decision
Stay awhile.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:41 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
whatever guy

Old 05-29-2013, 12:05 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Because it's was a rarity for them...there have been many things that have happened here since the 30 years you mentioned,whatever that means. The throwing snowballs at Santa was just symbolic of their nasty attitudes...the pelting of batteries,having a jail on premises,the 2008 Phillies riots,fans beating up/vomiting on others and generally repelling fans from visiting teams are just a few that come to mind.
"Santa" says he would have thrown snowballs at himself. He was a scrawny, drunk, 19-year-old kid who was plucked from the stands. It's hardly symbolic of anything. This was back in 1968, btw.

In order for something to be viewed as exclusively a Philadelphia phenomenon, it can't have happened in many places. Yes, some Philadelphia fans are guilty of throwing batteries at JD Drew. But Broncos fans through battery-stuffed iceballs at the Raiders. In Cleveland, the fans threw batteries at the Broncos (back in '89). In Minnesota, a ref was hit in the head by a fan-thrown whiskey bottle. Giants fans threw snow and ice at Chargers players (injuring 15 people).

The jail at the Vet was a publicity stunt for the judge. Notice how there isn't one at Lincoln Financial. Did the fans just suddenly become better behaved?

Riots happen everywhere.

One fan (from jersey) threw up on another Phillies fan. Then six Phillies fans tackled him. Why would you judge Philadelphia fans by the one guy and not the six others?

Generally repelling fans? Oakland, Denver, New York, Boston. It happens in lots of cities. The rottenness of the Philadelphia fan base gets exaggerated and if it happens in Philly it will get reported (with the irrelevant Santa Claus references).

Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by do sum'n View Post
clean=bland=boring
i don kno why people kiss seattle azz so much here, i bet 95% havent even been there, let alone lived there and making assumptions based on some magazine ratings
saying things like clean is what matters mean u think nyc, chicago, etc are all bad too, which i dont see people sayin at the same time, seems like some double standards
First, clean does not equal bland nor boring. That's a ridiculous equivalence. Second, your logic infers that 'dirty' is exciting. Also a false equivalence.

Most citizens of the modern west like nice, clean neighborhoods. We don't get our excitement from the type of activity that is often associated with dirty neighborhoods. If you do, there are plenty of run-down, forgotten about places for you to spend your life in. I submit that Philadelphia, a historical city with the eighth or ninth largest economy in the world, should set a better example than to suffer the crime and the decay that it does. The 'dirt' is embarrassing and those that prefer it need to prefer it somewhere else. This is not an appropriate city to be an apologist for. It needs to be better.

Yes, large portions of Chicago and New York are certainly bad by any rational standard. Although, New York has made a heck of an effort to remedy much of that in the past fifteen years or so. They have made progress.

When low crime, clean, interesting cities such as Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Reykjavik, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Vancouver, and Sydney exist, it's clear that there is no excuse for the crime and filth of many American cities. It's embarrassing, and if you aren't embarrassed then you are part of the problem.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The urban blight in the Philadlephia area is confined to less than 1/10 of 1 % of the region. But keep spreading the misinformation if it makes you feel good.
Absolutely false. You should put that percentage back where you retrieved it from. Less than 1/10 of 1 % of the region. You make me laugh, and hard.

First, I assume you are talking about land area. Okay, let's talk about land area. The "region" is thought of as the five county region of Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, and Chester. Even when taking this large area into account, the urban blight contained within Southwest Philadelphia and North Philadelphia, alone, would constitute quite a significant percentage of the land area of these five counties. And that is excluding the other isolated but significant pockets of urban blight in the region. However, this was a conversation about Philadelphia. If we take Philadelphia county alone, the urban blight land area would be well into the double digits in terms of a percentage of total land area. I'm still curious as to where you pulled that strange statistic from. It seems like it just sounded good in your head, and so you threw it out there. It, however, is completely false.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 PM

690 posts, read 963,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
First, clean does not equal bland nor boring. That's a ridiculous equivalence. Second, your logic infers that 'dirty' is exciting. Also a false equivalence.

Most citizens of the modern west like nice, clean neighborhoods. We don't get our excitement from the type of activity that is often associated with dirty neighborhoods. If you do, there are plenty of run-down, forgotten about places for you to spend your life in. I submit that Philadelphia, a historical city with the eighth or ninth largest economy in the world, should set a better example than to suffer the crime and the decay that it does. The 'dirt' is embarrassing and those that prefer it need to prefer it somewhere else. This is not an appropriate city to be an apologist for. It needs to be better.

Yes, large portions of Chicago and New York are certainly bad by any rational standard. Although, New York has made a heck of an effort to remedy much of that in the past fifteen years or so. They have made progress.

When low crime, clean, interesting cities such as Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Reykjavik, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich, Vienna, Vancouver, and Sydney exist, it's clear that there is no excuse for the crime and filth of many American cities. It's embarrassing, and if you aren't embarrassed then you are part of the problem.
nyc didnt really do anyth, its still a giant slum and the only reason it got better was for gentrification with many transplants moving in due to mad nyc hype
other cities don't have that luxury, altho i do agree that its a shame how they look, including nyc and philly
i feel like nyc has the resources, but the leaders dont feel much need to clean up the city, since its nyc and people will come there anyway, no matter what

Old 05-29-2013, 04:17 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
The rottenness of the Philadelphia fan base gets exaggerated and if it happens in Philly it will get reported (with the irrelevant Santa Claus references).
I wonder why...whether you like it or not Philly just has that rough image. Whether it started with Rocky or whatever,that's the way it is. Places like Harlem and Brooklyn in NYC had reps similar to that,but now it seemed to have cleaned up a bit.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:

Well you are right. It is something not unique to Philadelphia. There are grit and ghettos in many many cities throughout the US. If you have ever been to Philadelphia, you would know that the core area (Center City, University City and surrounding areas) that are nice and/or gentrifying are very nice and clean and/or being cleaned up. Also there are other sections like the Northwest and most of the Northeast that are very clean and nice. Also, the majority of the suburbs are too. I know most people who live out West and don't frequent these cities won't believe this, but Philadelphia is much cleaner than NYC.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I wonder why...whether you like it or not Philly just has that rough image. Whether it started with Rocky or whatever,that's the way it is. Places like Harlem and Brooklyn in NYC had reps similar to that,but now it seemed to have cleaned up a bit.
I agree with you. It is just a bad rep, which was most likely earned at one point, but I wouldn't say it is deserved anymore. Things have changed in Philadelphia. The city is on it's way back and is in a renaissance and trying to shake that image. Anyone who thinks Philadelphia is still the way it was just 10 years ago, has not been here. Only time will shake that image, just like NYC did, just like LA did. Both of those cities had terrible images in the 80s and 90s.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Absolutely false. You should put that percentage back where you retrieved it from. Less than 1/10 of 1 % of the region. You make me laugh, and hard.

First, I assume you are talking about land area. Okay, let's talk about land area. The "region" is thought of as the five county region of Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, and Chester. Even when taking this large area into account, the urban blight contained within Southwest Philadelphia and North Philadelphia, alone, would constitute quite a significant percentage of the land area of these five counties. And that is excluding the other isolated but significant pockets of urban blight in the region. However, this was a conversation about Philadelphia. If we take Philadelphia county alone, the urban blight land area would be well into the double digits in terms of a percentage of total land area. I'm still curious as to where you pulled that strange statistic from. It seems like it just sounded good in your head, and so you threw it out there. It, however, is completely false.
Actually, the Philadelphia Region includes:

Metro Area
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Bucks County
Montgomery County
Chester County
Delaware County

New Jersey
Camden County
Burlington County
Gloucester County
Salem County

Delaware
New Castle County

Maryland
Cecil County

and the CSA adds these counties
Pennsylvania
Berks County

New Jersey
Cumberland County
Cape May County
Atlantic County

Delaware
Kent County

WE WILL FOCUS JUST ON MSA THOUGH

The total land area of the Philadelphia MSA is 5,118 sq miles.
Delaware Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "ghetto areas" will be oversimplified. For instance, not all of North or West or Southwest Philadelphia are ghetto, and not all of Wilmington or Norristown is ghetto, but we will assume they are just for the purposes of this exercise.

West Philadelphia, is 14.2 sq miles. Although not the entire area is ghetto, and maybe only half of that land area is, we will just assume the entire area is ghetto.
West Philadelphia: The Basic History, Introduction, West Philadelphia Community History Center

Can't find anything on North Philadelphia, but it is slightly larger than West Philadelphia, so we will assume it is 20 sq miles. Again, not all of North Philadelphia is ghetto, but for this purpose we will assume it is.

Again, can't find anything on Southwest Philadelphia, but it is slightly smaller than West Philadelphia, so we will assume it is 12 sq miles. Not all of Southwest Philly is ghetto, but we will assume it is for this exercise.

Camden, NJ is 10.4 sq miles
Google

Wilmington, DE is 17 sq miles. Again, not the entire city is ghetto, but for this exercise we will assume it is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington,_Delaware

Chester, PA is 6 sq miles
Chester, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norristown, PA is 3.5 sq miles
Norristown, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is a total of 83.1 sq miles divided by the total sq mileage of the Philadelphia Metropolitan area which is 5,118 sq miles and you get:

1%

So one percent of the metro is ghetto. Hardly overwhelming

You guys on City Data crack me up with your over-exaggerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City