Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Seattle all the way! 193 52.02%
Philadelphia all the way! 153 41.24%
Other (Please specify) 25 6.74%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:14 PM

725 posts, read 1,208,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Actually, the Philadelphia Region includes:

Metro Area
Pennsylvania
Philadelphia
Bucks County
Montgomery County
Chester County
Delaware County

New Jersey
Camden County
Burlington County
Gloucester County
Salem County

Delaware
New Castle County

Maryland
Cecil County

and the CSA adds these counties
Pennsylvania
Berks County

New Jersey
Cumberland County
Cape May County
Atlantic County

Delaware
Kent County

WE WILL FOCUS JUST ON MSA THOUGH

The total land area of the Philadelphia MSA is 5,118 sq miles.
Delaware Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "ghetto areas" will be oversimplified. For instance, not all of North or West or Southwest Philadelphia are ghetto, and not all of Wilmington or Norristown is ghetto, but we will assume they are just for the purposes of this exercise.

West Philadelphia, is 14.2 sq miles. Although not the entire area is ghetto, and maybe only half of that land area is, we will just assume the entire area is ghetto.
West Philadelphia: The Basic History, Introduction, West Philadelphia Community History Center

Can't find anything on North Philadelphia, but it is slightly larger than West Philadelphia, so we will assume it is 20 sq miles. Again, not all of North Philadelphia is ghetto, but for this purpose we will assume it is.

Again, can't find anything on Southwest Philadelphia, but it is slightly smaller than West Philadelphia, so we will assume it is 12 sq miles. Not all of Southwest Philly is ghetto, but we will assume it is for this exercise.

Camden, NJ is 10.4 sq miles
Google

Wilmington, DE is 17 sq miles. Again, not the entire city is ghetto, but for this exercise we will assume it is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington,_Delaware

Chester, PA is 6 sq miles
Chester, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Norristown, PA is 3.5 sq miles
Norristown, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is a total of 83.1 sq miles divided by the total sq mileage of the Philadelphia Metropolitan area which is 5,118 sq miles and you get:

1%

So one percent of the metro is ghetto. Hardly overwhelming

You guys on City Data crack me up with your over-exaggerations.
THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER SAW ON CITY DATA. Summers, watch them try to still prove you wrong. And all of them areas except Camden are only half ghetto/ half nice. So that would really be 0.5

Old 05-29-2013, 06:24 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,414,744 times
Quote:
I agree with you. It is just a bad rep, which was most likely earned at one point, but I wouldn't say it is deserved anymore. Things have changed in Philadelphia. The city is on it's way back and is in a renaissance and trying to shake that image. Anyone who thinks Philadelphia is still the way it was just 10 years ago, has not been here.
I've been here for 10 years now and it's pretty much the same.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
[/b]
1% is still something if you've actually been in any of the bad areas.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:28 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,656,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I've been here for 10 years now and it's pretty much the same.
If you think Philadelphia has been the same for the past 10 years, then you haven't been here, and/or you're on crack. The core and surrounding neighborhoods have changed so much they are hardly recognizable anymore.

For instance. Graduate Hospital in 2004
http://nakedphilly.com/wp-content/up...p-mar-2004.jpg

Same neighborhood today
philadelphia - Google Maps

That is just one example, and not including the other areas that have seen drastic redevelopment and gentrification.

Even today, there are well over 800 rowhomes going up, not including all of the large scale development in Center City and UCity

Old 05-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
If you think Philadelphia has been the same for the past 10 years, then you haven't been here, and/or you're on crack. The core and surrounding neighborhoods have changed so much they are hardly recognizable anymore.

For instance. Graduate Hospital in 2004
http://nakedphilly.com/wp-content/up...p-mar-2004.jpg

Same neighborhood today
philadelphia - Google Maps

Even today, there are well over 800 rowhomes going up, not including all of the large scale development in Center City and UCity
I don't do crack thanks,that's a Partydelphia thing I've luckily never succumbed to.

I don't hang around graduate either,but there are other areas like northeast that haven't changed and probably won't anytime soon. South Philly has changed a bit since we left there in 2007,but the crime hasn't and that's one thing I look at. Center city is what most tourists and trendy newcomers consider 'Philadelphia' so naturally they'd keep working on that area.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,190,892 times
Quote:

That is a total of 83.1 sq miles divided by the total sq mileage of the Philadelphia Metropolitan area which is 5,118 sq miles and you get:

1%

So one percent of the metro is ghetto. Hardly overwhelming

LOL. Thanks for taking care of my light work.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 PM

Googling stats is a bit more work than posting pics of pretty buildings

Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 PM

725 posts, read 1,208,059 times
Quote:
I don't do crack thanks,that's a Partydelphia thing I've luckily never succumbed to.

I don't hang around graduate either,but there are other areas like northeast that haven't changed and probably won't anytime soon. South Philly has changed a bit since we left there in 2007,but the crime hasn't and that's one thing I look at. Center city is what most tourists and trendy newcomers consider 'Philadelphia' so naturally they'd keep working on that area.
Your just a typical angry South Jersey boy. There is NO surprise at all you hate Philly. Most from SJ do. You just see Philly as your workplace and go back home, to a rasist town. Your told me in a old post that you in fact don't like Philly, and you only commute here. How about you get a job in Atlantic out, or Camden or something and leave our city.

You would have to be a fool to not see how greatly Philly changed. The amount of change is dramatic.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Your just a typical angry South Jersey boy. There is NO surprise at all you hate Philly. Most from SJ do. You just see Philly as your workplace and go back home, to a rasist town. Your told me in a old post that you in fact don't like Philly, and you only commute here. How about you get a job in Atlantic out, or Camden or something and leave our city.
And you sound like the typical angry,clueless Philly boy...you just assume I'm from south Jerkey which I'm not. So drop the stereotype. You must have me confused with someone else you have a beef with,I don't see Philly as my workplace...couldn't find anything decent here so I had to go over to NJ to work. Wouldn't want to work in this clown-filled circus anyway. As far as racist hah why don't you look at Upper Darby or some 'hoodz in northeast; I'd love to leave this place as soon as finances are in place.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:53 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,845,761 times
Quote:
I wonder why...whether you like it or not Philly just has that rough image. Whether it started with Rocky or whatever,that's the way it is. Places like Harlem and Brooklyn in NYC had reps similar to that,but now it seemed to have cleaned up a bit.
The rep predates Rocky, for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City