U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state is more collectively and maturely more Liberal?
Massachusetts 53 67.95%
California 25 32.05%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM

6,256 posts, read 7,099,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I know capital punishment is still in effect in California but how about in Massachusetts? I'm surprised that California's executions take place outside the most liberal city in North America.
There is no capital punishment in Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1833 View Post
I say government wise the California government is more liberal, and the people in the liberal communities, like San Francisco, are stornger in there beliefs then Massachusetts. But Massachusetts seems to be more composed of liberals. Did you know Boston is predicted to be republican governed soon?
Well Massachusetts actually currently has its first Democrat governor since 1991 in office.so having a Republican governor is nothing new...

...if you're suggesting Massachusetts is about to become a red state then um....I will just say I disagree haha

Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 PM

793 posts, read 387,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1833 View Post
Did you know Boston is predicted to be republican governed soon?
Boston republican governed? As in the mayor of the city or city council? I dont think the City of Boston has one Republican council member and the mayor is about as Liberal as it gets (Mayor Menino) and probably wont be defeated until he decides to stop running or die.

If you mean the Governor of Massachusetts, Deval Patrick the democrat beat Charlie Baker the republican in the election just this month to win re-election, so not sure where you are going with this.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,799,904 times
Personally, I think the true measure of a state can be measured directly in how the voters decide issues. There are many Democratic states along the East Coast for example; like Delaware, Maryland, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts that have minimal Republican representation. But to my knowledge, none of these states allow voter initiatives like California. Some consider New York a liberal state and in some ways it is; same with New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the New England states. But most of these states follow traditional policies where the legislatures & governors make all the decisions. If people don't like how the legislators decided issues then they vote them out of office. I thought it telling that the Iowa supreme court ruled in favor of gay marriage but the citizens of Iowa don't have a say in the issue other than voting for those supreme court justices and, to my knowledge, all the judges who approved gay marriage would voted out of the court by the Iowa voters.

California is a unique experiment of voter rights and it makes it both challenging and exciting when the voters have such a strong voice. I think a sign of being liberal is tolerance and total democracy; in that sense California is probably the most liberal state in America.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 PM

793 posts, read 387,506 times
Im pretty sure all States allow the introduction of Ballot Initiatives or Measures (A Very Early Look at 2010 Ballot Measures)

The 2010 questions to the voters in Massachusetts dealt with cutting the Sales Tax (Voters said "No"); Elimination of Sales Tax on Alcoholic beverages (Voters said "Yes") and to repeal the current affordable Housing law (Voters said "No")

In 2008: Decriminalization of Marijuana possesion under 1oz (Voters said "Yes"); Reduction of the Personal Income Tax Rate (Voters said "No') and a Ban on Greyhound racing (Voters said "Yes")

So not sure how California is any different in this regard.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:28 PM

13,859 posts, read 12,574,763 times
Gallup indicates that in terms of self-reported ideology California isn't even in the top ten anymore and number 1 is Rhode Island. Although Massachusetts is close in almost having more self-identified liberals than conservatives.

Wyoming, Mississippi, Utah Rank as Most Conservative States

However for 2009 they placed California in the top-ten, but still below Massachusetts.

Political Ideology: "Conservative" Label Prevails in the South

Pew Research has become more awkward to use and I don't know if they took the orientation of states.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,540,132 times
Cook Partisan Voting Index: Organizing the states by political polarization

Massachusetts: D +12
California: D+7
(Meaning that in an average nationwide election, Massachusetts will vote for the Democrat candidate 12% higher than the national average, while it's 7% in California)

In terms of members of Congress:
California: 36 Democrats (34 House/2 Senators)/19 Republicans (19 house) [65% D/35% R]
Massachusetts: 11 Democrats (10 House/1 Senator)/1 Republican (1 Senator) [92% D/8% R]

Anyone who's been into Inland California AND Orange County will know that California, while not a conservative state in the least bit, has a HUGE chunk of voters who consider themselves "conservatives", or at least consider themselves as Republicans and vote for their platforms. Remember, California was home to Nixon AND Reagan, two people that are heavily revered in the modern conservative movement. In fact, the Nixon AND Reagan libraries are both in the LA metro area. In fact, I live 20 minutes away from the Reagan library in Simi Valley (Ventura County) and maybe 45 minutes away from the Nixon library (Orange County) in Yorba Linda. I had to go to BOTH for a school project and extra credit, respectively. [here's a map to get an idea of where they are: ]Ronald Reagan Presidential Library to Richard Nixon Library - Google Maps

In Massachusetts, there's not NEARLY the large urban/rural/suburban divide there is in California simply due to its much smaller size.

However, it's interesting to note that the way "liberalism" manifests itself on the East and West Coast is much different due to the different demographic makeup of the average Democrat voter in each state.

I will say this though: when it comes down to it, it really does depend on the issue though. Anything "liberal" in California will almost ALWAYS have some sort of resistance, while in Massachusetts, it's much less forthcoming.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:18 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,799,904 times
Liberalism on the East Coast seems so predictable and tame to me. If these Democratic states have direct voter initiatives why don't they vote on important issues like gay marriage? The only Eastern state with the guts to weigh in on this issue was Maine. I don't think marijuana is a life of death issue but it is also revealing that the West Coast is where there are people interested enough in things like it to actually get the issue on the ballot.

I may be wrong but I think California [and those states influenced by it, namely Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Hawaii] is more lively and maybe even eccentric so to speak. People are willing to take risks and live in a more alternate lifestyle. Many people who visit the California forum on CD comment on how much debate takes place and how Californians seem to be so much more involved in politics and controversial subjects. The East Coast seem placid and constrained in my opinion though I may very well be wrong.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 AM

13,859 posts, read 12,574,763 times
I might agree to that, but I'm not sure "lively and eccentric" always equates to liberal. There are some very eccentric conservative people in the world. I mean John Randolph of Roanoke was one of America's first real conservatives and he was also well-known as an eccentric. From what I've read Tiny Tim, "Tiptoe through the Tulips" dude, was a rather staunch conservative who opposed feminism on traditional religious grounds. Many of the people who want to restore old monarchies (Jacobite, Romanov, etc) are highly conservative and very odd. As are some Anti-Modernist conservatives who belong to Traditionalist Catholic or Old Orthodox groups.

I'd consider myself conservative and eccentric to some degree. In a way conservatism can be about a romantic love for things that are old, stable, or wise. So there's nothing at all contradictory in a conservative singing Child Ballads in the rain while wearing his grandfather's hat. Which I may have to try some time

Old 11-30-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't think marijuana is a life of death issue but it is also revealing that the West Coast is where there are people interested enough in things like it to actually get the issue on the ballot.
Massachusetts, New York and Maine have all decriminalized marijuana...I'm pretty sure all were done by votes (Massachusetts was).

Quote:
I may be wrong but I think California [and those states influenced by it, namely Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Hawaii] is more lively and maybe even eccentric so to speak. People are willing to take risks and live in a more alternate lifestyle. Many people who visit the California forum on CD comment on how much debate takes place and how Californians seem to be so much more involved in politics and controversial subjects. The East Coast seem placid and constrained in my opinion though I may very well be wrong.
I agree that those Western States seem to be more eccentric...but as Thomas R. said, that doesn't necessarily make them more Liberal. You said the West is "more willing to take risks to live in a more alternate lifestyle"...but have you considered the East likes the way they live? Why take the risks if there is no need for it?

I feel like sometimes people are eccentric not because they truly like it...but because it brings attention and they are able to say "check it out!". My interaction with people who are extremely conservative and extremely liberal has always left me thinking that the people are either stupid or fake (sometimes both).

I'm not saying this is necessarily how these Western states are...but maybe it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City