Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 01:49 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times

Advertisements

Here in Atlanta, the bad parts of town are primarily in Cobb County, Gwinnett County, and North Fulton. There are a lot of cookie-cutter subdivisions with soccer moms driving SUVs in a wreckless manner. The repetitive strip-mall configuration of retail development with the same types of retailers (Bed Bath and Beyond, Marshalls, Petsmart, Goody's) will make you have a nervous breakdown. The subdivisions and landscape will bore you into falling asleep at the wheel. There are no lost souls in these areas...hell there isn't any soul in these areas.

What's worse is that they may extend our rail system further into these awful areas, which may bring even more undesirable types to the city. There is nothing worse than seeing a train packed full of people who will only sit one to a seat, make brash comments about the urban neighborhoods they see through the windows, and announce every freaking stop ("We're at Lindbergh, only 3 more stops to go!!!). Frightening indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 PM

160 posts, read 518,057 times
Tie, North St. Louis = crime infested drug lord kingdom, East St. Louis, IL = bombed out ghetto.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 PM

10 posts, read 58,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Here in Atlanta, the bad parts of town are primarily in Cobb County, Gwinnett County, and North Fulton. There are a lot of cookie-cutter subdivisions with soccer moms driving SUVs in a wreckless manner. The repetitive strip-mall configuration of retail development with the same types of retailers (Bed Bath and Beyond, Marshalls, Petsmart, Goody's) will make you have a nervous breakdown. The subdivisions and landscape will bore you into falling asleep at the wheel. There are no lost souls in these areas...hell there isn't any soul in these areas.

What's worse is that they may extend our rail system further into these awful areas, which may bring even more undesirable types to the city. There is nothing worse than seeing a train packed full of people who will only sit one to a seat, make brash comments about the urban neighborhoods they see through the windows, and announce every freaking stop ("We're at Lindbergh, only 3 more stops to go!!!). Frightening indeed!
LMAO...It reminds me of riding southbound to get off at five points, there was a woman on the train today from Richmond,VA declaring her hate for Atlanta, talking about the crime, the filth, the lack of southern charm, and how "bombed out" it looked...I just shook my head in laughter and listened as she talked. I overheard that she had just left the perimeter circle area, and she even complained about it!!! to me, it's a very nice neighborhood (Perimeter Center/Circle, etc.) but she still complained about how it didn't compare to the cleanliness of her "quaint" hometown of Richmond.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl4thward2k6 View Post
LMAO...It reminds me of riding southbound to get off at five points, there was a woman on the train today from Richmond,VA declaring her hate for Atlanta, talking about the crime, the filth, the lack of southern charm, and how "bombed out" it looked...I just shook my head in laughter and listened as she talked. I overheard that she had just left the perimeter circle area, and she even complained about it!!! to me, it's a very nice neighborhood (Perimeter Center/Circle, etc.) but she still complained about how it didn't compare to the cleanliness of her "quaint" hometown of Richmond.
LOL! Richmond has got some very crappy areas as well. Some people you can never please!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:36 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
That may be true but like i said there is a significant difference between "baywiew" and being on the hill. Just because the people are black doesnt mean they are going to bite ya...well then again i don't know you, you could be obnoxious...
Hey, I'm just saying, that from my experience most people don't call it the bayview. As in: "i'm going to hunter's point." I don't as often hear: "I'm going to Bayview."

And yes, there's a big difference between bayview and "the hill." The difference between a relatively normal residential neighborhood, and sprawling housing projects.

What's with the attack?

I also hear "HP" and and "the point" and "the view" as well...

I go to school everyday at Oakdale and Phelps, and I used to work at evans and 3rd, and I also have some friends who live in HP. I'm not a complete stranger, and I don't think "black people are gonna bite me..."

I also used to skate at 3rd and Army quite often.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Hey, I'm just saying, that from my experience most people don't call it the bayview. As in: "i'm going to hunter's point." I don't as often hear: "I'm going to Bayview."

And yes, there's a big difference between bayview and "the hill." The difference between a relatively normal residential neighborhood, and sprawling housing projects.

What's with the attack?

I also hear "HP" and and "the point" and "the view" as well...

I go to school everyday at Oakdale and Phelps, and I used to work at evans and 3rd, and I also have some friends who live in HP. I'm not a complete stranger, and I don't think "black people are gonna bite me..."

I also used to skate at 3rd and Army quite often.
I have fond memories of my early 20's skating with my buddy delton gibson who was a resident of "the view". He was the furthest thing from a thug i have ever seen in my life. Opened my eyes to a lot. Don't get me wrong in many parts of the point if you look like you don't belong people are going to want to find out what your about, but for the most part it goes the same for hunters point residents if they go out to somewhere like walnut creek. If they look or act like they arn't from the area someone is going to want to find out. (except in their case its people with a hollow mentality wearing a badge which is pretty lame). It really goes both ways man people are people.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,547 times
Default Beleive me Denver does have bad areas

Westwood in Denver is definitly a bad area, with one of the highest foreclosure rates in America. There are actually blocks with 4 or more empty houses and there is trash in the Streets(mostly furniture) and the houses that have people in them are mostly run down The whole area is mostly Hispanic immigrants and Hispanic americans and the whole area has several gangs of mostly teens that have pistols and spray paint and will use them at anytime. I lived in Wilmington,Ca right in the middle of the hood and it was maybe one step ahead of the the worst parts of Denver and the neighborhood was still better to look at than in Westwood.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,737 times
North and East St. Louis are basically a tie. But, North St. Louis is progressing (slowly) and making an effort to improve, East St. Louis is pretty much hopeless.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,764,232 times
There are three part in Dallas,TX thats bad Oak Cliff, Pleasant Grove, and the worst South Dallas.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
Newark.. the west side is the worst section. Theres little blotches of run down communities but it's a chunk of the city when you go through Newark's west side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City