U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:44 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,164,571 times

Advertisements

If Overland Park is the worst side of the KC metro area, then the KC metro area is either hiding something and/or doesn't have anything over which to worry.

St Louis area ... you'll find me out in Clayton, not Jennings. Yeow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 05:07 AM

124 posts, read 65,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
If Overland Park is the worst side of the KC metro area, then the KC metro area is either hiding something and/or doesn't have anything over which to worry.

St Louis area ... you'll find me out in Clayton, not Jennings. Yeow.
We have our crime parts as well, but I would rather live in the troubled parts like East KC than OP. I'd take my chances, but the more rough parts have some wonderful old architecture and museums as well that OP has none of. OP seems to me to be just one big dearth of intellectual curiosity.

My girlfriend...well, she likes where we live, which is trendy and cosmo.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:22 PM

35 posts, read 115,867 times
I've lived in Austin and San Antonio

San Antonio: East side, hands down! Immediate west side near the courts can get bad as well. Far west near 151 and 410 is starting to go down, and fast! I have stories (I lived in an apartment over there for 5 months and that was enough!)

Austin: East side, hands down! Stay west of I-35

Old 07-16-2007, 10:02 PM

44,611 posts, read 43,135,258 times
IN Atlanta it is mainly the south part of Atlanta, particularly areas close to Clayton County. There are even bad areas in the suburbs(Delk Rd. in Marietta, which is ironically in East Cobb).

Old 07-17-2007, 08:46 AM

606 posts, read 2,733,888 times
for detroit I would say West, farther towards livonia .

Old 07-17-2007, 10:09 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,934,349 times
Chicago: definitely west side. South side I think is actually undergoing a resurgance in bronzeville and the like - although it definitely has problem areas still.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 AM

29,625 posts, read 65,672,994 times
Scranton, PA: The South Side. While the city remains one of the safest in the nation, most violent crimes that do occur happen in or near one of the low-income housing projects in the South Side. In fact, Scranton just went two years without a single murder, but that was broken a couple of weeks ago when one homeless man stabbed another to death in South Side. The rest of the city's neighborhoods seem to function almost independent of one another, with their own downtown business districts, neighborhood associations, etc., and I think that "small-town" element that helps to break down the city also helps to make the city more liveable and deters crime.

Wilkes-Barre, PA: The Heights and South Wilkes-Barre. The Heights is also home to several low-income housing projects, and these particular ones are magnets for shootings, stabbings, drug busts, etc. The surrounding neighborhood is also rather run-down and shabby-looking, which helps to add to its nefarious reputation. South Wilkes-Barre was a haven for crime as recently as a year or so ago, but as of right now it seems to be quieting down. There's one bar in particular on Hazle Street that neighbors want to see shut down by the county, as it seems to attract shootings, stabbings, etc., but much of South Wilkes-Barre seems to be "calming down."

Old 07-17-2007, 11:13 AM

5,643 posts, read 13,604,216 times
"In fact, Scranton just went two years without a single murder,..."

This is incredible, given the fact that Scranton is a real city, not a suburb, and it's a fairly good size, too. I wonder if any other cities of its size can match this?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:20 PM

29,625 posts, read 65,672,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
"In fact, Scranton just went two years without a single murder,..."

This is incredible, given the fact that Scranton is a real city, not a suburb, and it's a fairly good size, too. I wonder if any other cities of its size can match this?
It is amazing. I simply can't believe we went that long without a murder while everyone in the region does nothing but whine and moan about the "insane crime rate." This just furthers my belief that most of the locals love to overexaggerate our area's flaws in order to capitalize upon and highlight its weaknesses in an effort to make it look worse to outsiders. I'm sure other cities can match this feat---I just can't think of any in the Tri-State Area as large as Scranton (pop. 70,000) that can lay that claim. In fact, this was for the entire county, which had a population of around 210,000. Neighboring Luzerne County, home to Wilkes-Barre, fares much worse in terms of homicides though.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 PM

606 posts, read 2,733,888 times
I thought chicagos south side was bad, when I visited. alot of homeless, and bums riding the elevated transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or