Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the South really the best place for an Indian to be?
Yes, it isn't as bad as the stereotypes claim it to be, come on or go on down partna! 21 55.26%
Just your experience, maybe you were in the wrong part of the Northeast. 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,330,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, he is east Indian from India not west Indian from India
lol i know but guyanese, and trinis have huge east indian decent in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 PM

803 posts, read 1,257,672 times
never said anything about the south, only talked junk about LA

anyways, the south gets a bad rap for no reason

Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,768,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
lol i know but guyanese, and trinis have huge east indian decent in them.
I know that, that is why I said he is East Indian from India not East Indian from the Windies.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,935,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
never said anything about the south, only talked junk about LA
It doesn't matter though, Los Angeles is a Cosmopolitan city, the likes of which this country needs more of. If you seriously cant be happy in any of the big cities in the USA, which includes Los Angeles then happiness isn't on your radar.

Alright explain to me exactly what happened to you in Los Angeles area? People stared? People threw out any racial slurs?
Quote:
anyways, the south gets a bad rap for no reason
Eh I agree with this to an extent. I don't have any extensive personal experience (just a few hours here and there) in small towns or rural villages in The South, but in the big cities of The South, you will be more than fine.

That much I can promise you, Houston, Miami, Dallas, & Atlanta you'll be very happy as long as you're not expecting a city with perfect weather or walkable from the airport all the way to where the city ends. LOL then you wont be.

But regardless. I read posts on this forum daily and see all these nasty stereotypes, and then engage in a conversation and people who have NEVER been to my city try to tell me what I am treated like there. LOL what a joke of a site.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah, almost all the people I went to school with ended up in mixed relationships. That includes all but one of my Indian friends (and that was more than 20). Although Houston has a huge Indian population only one went back home to get married and (she was deeply religious and had her mind set on the traditional marriage.)

But the rest married black people, white people, west indians, Heck the last wedding I went to was between my Indian friend and my Turkish/Italian friend.

Mixed relationships between Indians and other races occur all over jgamibi, why would it not occur in LA
What about Hispanics?

Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
It doesn't matter though, Los Angeles is a Cosmopolitan city, the likes of which this country needs more of. If you seriously cant be happy in any of the big cities in the USA, which includes Los Angeles then happiness isn't on your radar.

Alright explain to me exactly what happened to you in Los Angeles area? People stared? People threw out any racial slurs?.
A lot happened to me in LA. I was stared at and when I told people I was Indian they started making 711 jokes. The Hispanics there were racist as heck. One overheard me say I like Latinas and he turned around to say "well none of em like you I can promise that".

But hey nothing that guy can do about it, I dated a Latina and will date one again!

This country does not need a city like LA which is full of racist Hispanics and racist everybody really. The Black people there compared to Black people down south are very snobbish towards anyone who isn't Black.

Basically it hurt me to go there, see some sort of interracial dating happen and see Indians being excluded from it, a slap to my face. If I go there and see that an Indian guy - Latina couple exists, I will eat up my words but it doesn't exist period in that city. I find it sad that it can exist in Arkansas but not "cosmopolitan" LA. Yet they have the guts to call me a racist because I don't date Black or White girls.

BUT ENOUGH OF THE COUPLES.

I found that areas there were heavily divided, look at the news when they talk about brown on Black or Black on brown crime.

That whole city is a mess and as is all of southern cal. I really do believe they hate my type there, even more so than they would in a place like all White small town New Jersey.

I can live in Alabama, South Texas, Cambodia, Congo, and anywhere in the world but Southern Cal, or california for that matter.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
What about Hispanics?
most of them married hispanics. This is Texas you know

Quote:
A lot happened to me in LA. I was stared at and when I told people I was Indian they started making 711 jokes. The Hispanics there were racist as heck. One overheard me say I like Latinas and he turned around to say "well none of em like you I can promise that".

But hey nothing that guy can do about it, I dated a Latina and will date one again!

This country does not need a city like LA which is full of racist Hispanics and racist everybody really. The Black people there compared to Black people down south are very snobbish towards anyone who isn't Black.

Basically it hurt me to go there, see some sort of interracial dating happen and see Indians being excluded from it, a slap to my face. If I go there and see that an Indian guy - Latina couple exists, I will eat up my words but it doesn't exist period in that city. I find it sad that it can exist in Arkansas but not "cosmopolitan" LA. Yet they have the guts to call me a racist because I don't date Black or White girls.

BUT ENOUGH OF THE COUPLES.

I found that areas there were heavily divided, look at the news when they talk about brown on Black or Black on brown crime.

That whole city is a mess and as is all of southern cal. I really do believe they hate my type there, even more so than they would in a place like all White small town New Jersey.

I can live in Alabama, South Texas, Cambodia, Congo, and anywhere in the world but Southern Cal, or california for that matter.
well I have heard that LA is really snobby. Even from white people. Never experienced the snobbishness myself but yes I heard that there is a lot of snobbishness there from all races. I have never lived long enough in LA to tell.

Anyway you should try Texas. Houston is known for its friendliness.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,319,435 times
One thing is pathetically clear in all these rants from the OP; dude, it is YOU not your race. You are the person being attacked and then conveniently hide behind your nationality. Most people in Los Angeles, quite frankly would not know the difference when an Indian Asian is standing next to a Latina especially with sunglasses on. Unless you opened your mouth and had a strong accent. To be honest, the Indian accent is sort of funny and maybe some Latino punks made fun of you. But that you continue to pursue this topic makes me think that your really are funny and something is seriously wrong.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:18 AM

I actually have a midwest/Americanish accent. My accent is not Indian because I was not raised in India.

PS: Yea, I have met a lot of warm people from Texas.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
One thing is pathetically clear in all these rants from the OP; dude, it is YOU not your race. You are the person being attacked and then conveniently hide behind your nationality. Most people in Los Angeles, quite frankly would not know the difference when an Indian Asian is standing next to a Latina especially with sunglasses on. Unless you opened your mouth and had a strong accent. To be honest, the Indian accent is sort of funny and maybe some Latino punks made fun of you. But that you continue to pursue this topic makes me think that your really are funny and something is seriously wrong.
are all accents not funny???

Everyone is gonna sound funny to everyone.

The indian accents may sound funny to the hispanics, but the hispanics accents may sound just as funny to Indians.

have you heard a person with a strong mexican accent say Cheese or shoes?
Everyone has an accent, that means everyone sounds funny to somebody.

My Indians friends would make jokes about the way I pronounced r's (or did not pronounce them) or how the middle consonant seemed to disappear in some of my words (French/ British heritage) and I would return the favor by poking fun at them for not being able to pronounce v's or z's all in good fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City