Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the South really the best place for an Indian to be?
Yes, it isn't as bad as the stereotypes claim it to be, come on or go on down partna! 21 55.26%
Just your experience, maybe you were in the wrong part of the Northeast. 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Get em
maybe they are too busy trying to catch up with Norcal to pay attention to things like friendliness and open-mindedness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 12:52 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what the hell are you talking about? I didn't vote for Perry. i would voted for a donkey before I voted for Perry. You guys in California generalize too much. I don't go around saying you voted for Arnold because you live in California. 20 something percent of Texans voting for Perry doesn't mean I like him.

You Californians need to start meeting up to your hype about being open minded.
I didn't suggest you voted for Perry since you have denounced him many times. My point is that the anger with Perry by many Texans needs to be activated. The change that is going on in the Southwest is the example for Texas. The reason Harry Reid won in Nevada was because of Latinos. The reason California went even further to the Left [called the "Blue Riptide"] is because of Latinos. Arizona knows what is coming next. New Mexico & Colorado are 2 more examples. Bush & Rove strongly warned the GOP of what would happen if they allowed racists to call the shots. You should be happy what is on the horizon and can thank California for bringing Democratic rule to Texas some day.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
maybe they are too busy trying to catch up with Norcal to pay attention to things like friendliness and open-mindedness.
Quit being so reactionary, btw! I'm on your side.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Quit being so reactionary, btw! I'm on your side.
I am joshing

Old 12-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I didn't suggest you voted for Perry since you have denounced him many times. My point is that the anger with Perry by many Texans needs to be activated. The change that is going on in the Southwest is the example for Texas. The reason Harry Reid won in Nevada was because of Latinos. The reason California went even further to the Left [called the "Blue Riptide"] is because of Latinos. Arizona knows what is coming next. New Mexico & Colorado are 2 more examples. Bush & Rove strongly warned the GOP of what would happen if they allowed racists to call the shots. You should be happy what is on the horizon and can thank California for bringing Democratic rule to Texas some day.
Texas was blue up until the mid 90's when all the rest of the south was red. Bush's immediate predecessor was blue.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Texas was blue up until the mid 90's when all the rest of the south was red. Bush's immediate predecessor was blue.
most of the south also used to be blue, texas was just lagging behind from the switch from dixiecrat to republicans. has nothing to do with liberal/tolerance though. The KKK for instance was strongly anti republican. They voted blue b/c they were poor. Southern democratic control over the south didn't collapse until the late 80s early 90s b/c of the current democrats being more liberal, and current republicans being more conservative.

See Richard Nixon Southern Strategy and Civil Rights Act of 1964 for the beginnings of "the switch"

Saying southern states used to vote blue from the great depression to the 80s is a key tip off they were conservative democrats. Come on now, Robert Byrd, George Wallace, Strom Thurmond,. Those are prominent figures associated with "southern blue states" of the past... So not so sure why you are trying to look at former texas blue as a good thing or based on any type of tolerance.

best place for an east indian would be more socially liberal v. socially conservative. nothing to do really with D/R, particularly those from the past.

I'm sure Houston would be fine but it boggles my mind that people would say the over arching deep south is the best place to go for racial tolerance, it is city data though...where historical data, facts and figures are meaningless, the name of the game is city boosting and homerism.

Last edited by grapico; 12-02-2010 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
That's true but I would call that a "Southern Blue" in historic reaction to the Republican party of Lincoln. President Johnson was one of the most liberal ever and he was from Texas so we know what the state produces. When Texas turns blue again it will be a major battleground with the Republicans; get ready for blood and guts.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
The south is the last place any race wants to live.
You are obviously either trolling because I don't think anyone could be that ignorant of the facts but do you think maybe the 18 million or so black, the 13 million or so Hispanic and Latino, the 2 million plus Asian and millions that are of other races and ethnicity that live in the south might disagree with you.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:03 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I was saying there isn't as many Asians in the south. and not as many hispanics in the south outside of Miami
Are you for real?? I am amazed at some of your statements. Miami does not have many Asians at all, Atlanta has more than Miami, huge Korean population, so what. Only a million or so Hispanic live in the Atlanta Metro.

This is a backward pic of Atlanta. You will need to have all of your vaccines up to date.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 PM

803 posts, read 1,264,873 times
Default all I know is this

I have lived in small town Arkansas and I have made friends with old Whites, old Blacks, young Blacks, young Whites, dated a Latina and even made out with her (something I would not be allowed to do in a place like Los Angeles or NYC) and I have had the opportunity to interact with so many ethnic groups without them viewing me as an Indian person.

Going to New Jersey on a visit gave me a reality check, I cannot believe that a state that liberal has people that racist in it. I have had better experiences in small town Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City