Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:02 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the responses so far but San Antonio is not being considered so its a mute point.

It's interesting that at least so far nobody has even mentioned Dallas. So I take it Houston has in general more things happening than Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 07:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

It's interesting that at least so far nobody has even mentioned Dallas. So I take it Houston has in general more things happening than Dallas?
Dallas doesnt have 1/4 of the bosters on this board that Houston (or even Austin) does. That may have something to do with it.

Here is a link that shows most the festivals, concerts, conventions, and events we had this year by month:

Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex Calendar of Events - DFW Metroplex and North Texas

Its missing a few. It doesnt have the Chinese festival that I went to in Plano, the Worldfest I went to in Addison, and a few others.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,890 times
Default There is no competition here!! Houston wins hands down

The answer to this one is simple. By far Houston has the most events especially in the international arena.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:17 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
I appreciate the responses so far but San Antonio is not being considered so its a mute point.

Maybe because most acts who visit Dallas also visit Texas, so when I visit Dallas it is not for such events.

what is surprising is that although Dallas FW is getting a lot of big sporting events now, they have never hosted the superbowl, even tho the boys were big.

Houston has hosted twice.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Dallas doesnt have 1/4 of the bosters on this board that Houston (or even Austin) does. That may have something to do with it.

Here is a link that shows most the festivals, concerts, conventions, and events we had this year by month:

Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex Calendar of Events - DFW Metroplex and North Texas

Its missing a few. It doesnt have the Chinese festival that I went to in Plano, the Worldfest I went to in Addison, and a few others.
this isn't a boosting thread, don't turn it into that. all the poster asked is for people to post events and he is not surprised about any boosting he is surprised that no one has posted anything about Dallas.

Btw I was mainly posting events in and around Houston. I could also include festivals and activities in Galveston, Sugarland, etc.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Dallas has the State Fair, which is a pretty huge event. It's hosting the Superbowl this season and has hosted NBA finals and World Series... So it's not that far off Houston, IMO.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:06 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
What about smaller events like just night clubs and parties? You know things hipsters and trendsetters like to go to? I know Houston is the bigger city but I also know Dallas has one of the largest gay communities which can often drive a lot of nightlife up in an area.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:18 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Maybe because most acts who visit Dallas also visit Texas, so when I visit Dallas it is not for such events.

what is surprising is that although Dallas FW is getting a lot of big sporting events now, they have never hosted the superbowl, even tho the boys were big.

Houston has hosted twice.
It has to do with NFL hosting rules in the modern era and Texas Stadium - the NFL didn't want to risk a snowy Superbowl, so Texas Stadium, with the big hole in the roof, was never allowed. Now that Dallas has the big stadium with retractable roof, no more problem.

(Of course, the NFL has recently given New York the Superbowl despite the great chance of snow there, so, you know, things change.)

Old 12-04-2010, 01:19 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
this isn't a boosting thread, don't turn it into that. all the poster asked is for people to post events and he is not surprised about any boosting he is surprised that no one has posted anything about Dallas.

Btw I was mainly posting events in and around Houston. I could also include festivals and activities in Galveston, Sugarland, etc.

And you know full well that events should be compared Metro to Metro, not just Dallas to Houston.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-05-2010 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-04-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
What about smaller events like just night clubs and parties? You know things hipsters and trendsetters like to go to? I know Houston is the bigger city but I also know Dallas has one of the largest gay communities which can often drive a lot of nightlife up in an area.
I am not sure, I think Dallas Fort wort has more clubs, but Houston has the larger gay community, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: according to wiki Houston has more than Dallas but DFW has more than Houston metro. That is expected that the larger city would have more than the smaller one and the larger metro would have more than the smaller one because in all honesty both areas have similar pops. ( the wiki numbers are from ACS which are wildly inaccurate so don't quote that either)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City