Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Post like the one above clearly show that no part of New Jersey is worthy of the sixth boro status. Anybody who calls 3M big city like Brooklyn or Queens a bedroom community proves that he has no general knowledge about the City of New York. Of course there are thousands of jobs outside of Manhattan and of course there is Brooklyn skyline and real downtown. I kind of get your post, since there is no single city the size of Brooklyn or Queen in New Jersey you don't really know anything about urbanity. I suspect that if New York City was in New Jersey you would abandon and run it down it like you did with Newark. Sixth boro
You do realize the densest city in the US is in NJ right? NJ happens to be the densest state (maybe we know more about urbanity than you)

Maybe you're too young to remember, but not too long ago, NY (and definitely Manhattan) was quite rundown and very undesirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 AM

152 posts, read 250,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
KONY, you really are ridiculous. For what it's worth, I've heard more "real NYers" say that they'd trade Hudson County for Staten Island in a heartbeat -- both in real life, and on this site.

Not that I personally would want that to happen, but it illustrates that most NYers who are sensible realize that Hudson County is much more connected to NYC both physically and culturally.

You make arguing with you very painful, and for your sake I honestly really do hope that you are not this abrasive in real life.

No real New Yorker would ever say that New Jersey is connected to New York culturaly as it is not. New York City is a big city with big city mentality and New Jersey not only does not have a single city over 500,000 but it abandonded its big cities like Newark letting them turn into ghettos. New Jersey has anti-urban, suburban mentality and as such it totally differs from New York City.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
You do realize the densest city in the US is in NJ right? NJ happens to be the densest state (maybe we know more about urbanity than you)

Maybe you're too young to remember, but not too long ago, NY (and definitely Manhattan) was quite rundown and very undesirable.

City? How big is that city? 5,000? 25,000? Why don't you call it a town?
Density does not imply urbanity. New Jersey does not have a single city over 500,000 and even let the only real city in the state, Newark, become a rotting corpse.
New Jersey mentality is suburban and anti-urban. Density does not change a thing, unless you consider " big cities" like Clifton to be urban.

Last edited by jobber23; 12-07-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
No real New Yorker would ever say that New Jersey is connected to New York culturaly as it is not. New York City is a big city with big city mentality and New Jersey not only does not have a single city over 500,000 but it abandonded its big cities like Newark letting them turn into ghettos. New Jersey has anti-urban, suburban mentality and as such it totally differs from New York City.
Ha ha.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 AM

[quote=K.O.N.Y;16910895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

Well maybe if nj kept their mouth off of nycs "great monstrous appendage" than it would make my job easier. Ya would than be a true new jersey Instead of that swath of land that happens to sit across a big ass river from new york
It's like that?

If there weren't anymore NJ threads you'd be unemployed!! LMAO!
You love our style so much, at least we know why now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

It makes you mad that NJians have the convenience of Manhattan? Really?
Until NJ's COL/Taxes go down, I don't see the problem in mentioning and taking advantage of NYC at all. NJ has to pay the price being so close, and NYC has impacted NJ like the beast it is.

It's obvious that there is no "true NYer"- There's Native NYers who grew up in NYC- And they're all different with different styles, opinions, lifestyles etc.

You're the only ridiculous NYer on these threads that sucks NJ dry. You're also the biggest NJ hater on the NYC forums- It's basically only you and a few others (The "few others" also have shtty grammar like you)- There may be a clever rivalry (nothing serious, and nothing to the level you take it), but I've never experienced a NYer obnoxiously shoot down NJ IRL (unless of course they can't say it to my face)- There's a definite link between the two regions. When ever I'm in NYC visiting family and chatting with the natives in the area, they ask what part of Jersey i'm from (with interest, since they're familiar with the area) and talk to me like a local. According to you, they'd shun me and tell me to go back to NJ.

I know you like to think you're the king of NY and speak on behalf of 8 million people... But you're basically just embarrassing yourself.
My whole family from parents to grandparents are basically from NYC. I have family living in 4/5 boros- None of them truly hates NJ.

Just think of it this way: he'll always be the one checking for us, we never check for him. He already admitted he needs us lol

I wish my grandmother could hear him, she's been in the Bx her whole life and takes it for what it is. If all NYers were like this cat I don't think anyone would ever go there *thank God they're not like him*

Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
City? How big is that city? 5,000? 25,000? Why don't you call it a town?
Density does not imply urbanity. New Jersey does not have a single city over 500,000 and even let the only real city in the state, Newark, become a rotting corpse.
New Jersey mentality is suburban and anti-urban. Density dopes not change a thing, unless you consider " big cities" like Clifton to be urban.
Actually, density DOES imply urbanity, it's just not the only factor. Additionally, you'd be foolish if you think population alone is the only defining factor.

I didn't call it a town b/c it's a city. Thanks for playing.

------------------------

Besides, if NJ was 'all' urban then NYers wouldn't move here the way they do now would they?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Actually, density DOES imply urbanity, it's just not the only factor. Additionally, you'd be foolish if you think population alone is the only defining factor.

I didn't call it a town b/c it's a city. Thanks for playing.

------------------------

Besides, if NJ was 'all' urban then NYers wouldn't move here the way they do now would they?
You really call the 10,000 strong Guttenberg a city? How about I cut out a single block in Manhattan so I could claim the most dense city is in New York state? I bet I could do the same in Chicago or LA and claim victory as well New Jersey, no wonder you are the object of most jokes about other states and cities.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM

I'll do you one better. The following is a concept you don't understand (by your own roundabout admission):

In Hudson County, as far as lifestyle, political boundaries do not stack up. That's why the waterfront of the county is often referred to as the gold coast. It's a continuous stretch of urban living.

What? You think people stop at the border of the town hoping to cross to the other side?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
You really call the 10,000 strong Guttenberg a city? How about I cut out a single block in Manhattan so I could claim the most dense city is in New York state? I bet I could do the same in Chicago or LA and claim victory as well New Jersey, no wonder you are the object of most jokes about other states and cities.

You see, but you can't cut out a single block in Manhattan. Therefore, the densest city IS in NJ. Nice try though.

Try Union City

Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I'll do you one better. The following is a concept you don't understand (by your own roundabout admission):

In Hudson County, as far as lifestyle, political boundaries do not stack up. That's why the waterfront of the county is often referred to as the gold coast. It's a continuous stretch of urban living.
It's a continuos stretch of "urban living" only in New Jersey standards. Everywhere else a stretch like this, void of cultural institutions, would be considered suburban.
Again, there is no single city in NJ over 500,000 so how would you know what "urban living" is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City