Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 PM

87 posts, read 229,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Don't say what you think, you don't think like a Philadelphian. I do. And New York newspapers are NOT sold throughout our city. Philadelphians YOUNG and old are provincial, remember that this is just city data, the average person does not think about cities.
How provincial can young people in Philadelphia be, if there are long lines of young people lined up all day long to take discount buses to New York City? Not to mention all the young people taking the train to NYC.

Wawa is a convenience store located all over Philadelphia. They sell the New York Post, the New York Daily News, and the New York Times. So do many Acme grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient Oracle View Post
How provincial can young people in Philadelphia be, if there are long lines of young people lined up all day long to take discount buses to New York City? Not to mention all the young people taking the train to NYC.

Wawa is a convenience store located all over Philadelphia. They sell the New York Post, the New York Daily News, and the New York Times. So do many Acme grocery stores.
I'm a young person and I don't find most of my native peers provincial in the slightest. I think the answer you'll get is going to greatly depend on the circles you run in. An affluent person with an advanced degree from somewhere like Center City or the Main Line is going to have a much different perspective from a working/lower middle class high school graduate from Upper Darby or Port Richmond. I will say my older relatives from working class backgrounds are a bit more on the provincial side, but nowhere near the point of "willful ignorance."

It's no different from the fact that someone picked at random from the Upper West Side is probably going to be more "worldly" than someone from Bensonhurst.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
isnt it funny that someone can reach home to jersey city from the city faster then someone who lives in far rockaway or jamaica queens? lol
I bet i'm faster from Harlem/Upper East Side to Jamaica, Queens than to Jersey City.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:13 PM

643 posts, read 1,017,685 times
The town of Hempstead pop. ~ 760,000

Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,232,884 times
This must be the most dumbest stupidest thread ever. Really OP?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:

Yes as Philadelphians are just dying to be New Yorkers.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
This must be the most dumbest stupidest thread ever. Really OP?
This topic must be of interest to some, considering that the topic has been the source of at least 8 separate threads on this website since 2009.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'm a young person and I don't find most of my native peers provincial in the slightest. I think the answer you'll get is going to greatly depend on the circles you run in. An affluent person with an advanced degree from somewhere like Center City or the Main Line is going to have a much different perspective from a working/lower middle class high school graduate from Upper Darby or Port Richmond. I will say my older relatives from working class backgrounds are a bit more on the provincial side, but nowhere near the point of "willful ignorance."

It's no different from the fact that someone picked at random from the Upper West Side is probably going to be more "worldly" than someone from Bensonhurst.
I agree. People in Philadelphia do not have some monolithic mindset, any more than people in New York City or Chicago all think the same way.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times
Boca.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 AM
bn1

128 posts, read 205,662 times
Quote:
This topic must be of interest to some, considering that the topic has been the source of at least 8 separate threads on this website since 2009.
This topic always has the same theme. You get a bunch of New Yorkers from Queens and Brooklyn who feel the need to draw a distinct line between NY and NJ. You get a bunch of Jerseyans who fire back and insist that if you ignore map lines and official designations, northeast Jersey is just as tied to Manhattan as Queens is, geographically and culturally. And then you get the Manhattanites who sit back amused and say get over yourselves - you're all the same to us...B & T.

To most of the world, northeast Jersey is an extension of NYC. If you go back in history, the 5 boroughs were 5 independent cities. If you go back even more, Jersey was governed as the Province of New York. Within the NYC Metropolitan area, there are some rivalries and NJ does have the "suburb stigma". Which is true to some extent. Jersey will always be a tad more laid back and have less hustling mentality (if anything, you can say New Yorkers move out to Jersey because they want this). Jerseyans usually don't pay as much attention to style (probably because they're not walking as much). Even in Hoboken or JC, there is less hustle and bustle compared to Flushing Queens. Aside from those factors, it shares pretty much everything culturally. We all grow up with the same radio and TV stations. When 9/11 happened, a huge percentage of the victims were commuters from NJ - we share the same tragedies. When the blackouts happened, I know Jerseyans that were stuck in the subway as well. And frankly, many Jersey commuters spend more hours in the day in NYC.

Last edited by bn1; 04-18-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City