U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:45 PM
 
152 posts, read 204,724 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
See New York here? If you cut it up into a thousand little cities, would each of those cease to be urban?
No. But if you glue of all New Jersey together it will not magically become more urban and lively either...



Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
And do you see Jersey City next to it and Newark right behind it on the map above?


If you extended one of their boundaries to include all the people in the county would they be urban then? It doesn't matter how many people live within Newark's city limits, that's an arbitrary line. Just like all of New York City's area would still be urban if it was divided into a thousand smaller cities. The area is urban and there's no denying it. The city lines within the area have nothing to do with it's urbanity.
Even if Newark was ten times bigger I, and most people, wouldn't like to live there. New Jersey abandonded once thriving city of Newark and let it rot. What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:46 PM
 
Location: CT
1,215 posts, read 2,081,627 times
Reputation: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Yes, "urban" as in not "rural". Then again suburb is suburb - a boring place with not much of a city life. It does not change the fact that New Jerseyans and not big city folk, they don't like big cities, they abandoned their own demoting themselves to living in an endless suburbia.
...That's your own definition and ideas, nothing more.

"It does not change the fact that New Jerseyans and not big city folk, they don't like big cities, they abandoned their own demoting themselves to living in an endless suburbia."

See my post above, especially the last lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: CT
1,215 posts, read 2,081,627 times
Reputation: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
No. But if you glue of all New Jersey together it will not magically become more urban either...
Yeah, because it already is, nothing changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 PM
 
152 posts, read 204,724 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
...That's your own definition and ideas, nothing more.

"It does not change the fact that New Jerseyans and not big city folk, they don't like big cities, they abandoned their own demoting themselves to living in an endless suburbia."

See my post above, especially the last lines.
It's not a definition, it's fact. Suburbs are boring and not really happening.
People move to the suburbs not enjoy the city life but to escape it.

The fact is that New Jersey had one real city and it abandonded it favoring endless suburb over city life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY $$$
6,836 posts, read 12,369,462 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Apparently, the statement was made- So you're statement is false.
Your provincial, close minded ignorance never fails you.
Do you know how many ex-NYer live in Hudson county? Do you know how many NYC business moved on over to Jersey City? Do you realize the NYC urban overflow in general is why Hudson County is what it is? I find it quite odd that NYers would never consider Hudson County as an "unofficial 6th boro"- They're the ones that created that term once they moved there in the first place.

Of course they are two separate states- I know that, you know that- EVERYONE knows that. The term "6th boro" isn't anything more than simple observation- No need to crap bricks over it. There will never be a 6th boro.
Hudson county is at the opening of the Hudson river, it has Ellis Island and liberty islands located in it's waters, it has tunnels/bridges/trains/ferrys to both Manhattan and Staten Island, and It's more urban than all other areas of the NYC metro.
It's pure logic to where Manhattan's urban overflow has ended up- Get over it.

For a true NYer you spend a lot of time worrying about NJ being so close -- Keep NJ out of your mouth and maybe you'd be a truer NYer... please do... just never enter another NJ thread again and prove that you really are a "true NYer" .... because as of right now, you seem to talk down on NJ to feel better about yourself- Where you live is apparently all you got as far as personal status goes.

i agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
 
Location: CT
1,215 posts, read 2,081,627 times
Reputation: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
It's not a definition, it's fact. Suburbs are boring and not really happening.
People move to the suburbs not enjoy the city life but to escape it.

The fact is that New Jersey had one real city and it abandonded it favoring endless suburb over city life.
Excuse me but weren't you the one who was touting Wikipedia as the source to trust here? The source that tells us a suburb is a community where many or most of the residents commute elsewhere to work. That's the only rule here. There is no rule saying a suburb can't be urban, and your definition of what a suburb is, is just the popular culture concept of the fences, lawns, barbecues, and stuff. That's the image most people think of when you mention suburb, that doesn't mean it's the only way a suburb can be.

How many uneducated dolts think of tribes people living in huts in Africa. It's a very popular cultural image, and people don't stop to think that while there are communities scattered about like that, Africa is covered in "modern" cities, and urban centers like Cairo, Lagos, Kilgali, Johannesburg, and countless others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 02:59 PM
 
759 posts, read 1,620,265 times
Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
It's not a definition, it's fact. Suburbs are boring and not really happening.
People move to the suburbs not enjoy the city life but to escape it.

The fact is that New Jersey had one real city and it abandonded it favoring endless suburb over city life.
No, the fact is that you have no clue about either NYC or NJ, and arguing with you is like banging one's head against a wall.

You sound like you're writing from Montana or something. You have no clue how the NYC metro area functions.

NJ is URBAN. More urban than even NY State arguably!

And if Hoboken is suburban, than most of NYC is suburban!

Hoboken has subways, highrises, tenements, brownstones, etc. etc. You don't need a car to do anything. It's like living in Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 03:02 PM
 
152 posts, read 204,724 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Excuse me but weren't you the one who was touting Wikipedia as the source to trust here? The source that tells us a suburb is a community where many or most of the residents commute elsewhere to work. That's the only rule here. There is no rule saying a suburb can't be urban, and your definition of what a suburb is, is just the popular culture concept of the fences, lawns, barbecues, stuff. That's the image most people think of when you mention suburb, that doesn't mean it's the only way a suburb can be.
So what is happening in your suburb? Any new art galleries? Happenings?
How about Paramus or West New York, NJ. What exactly is 'happening there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
How many uneducated dolts think of tribes people living in huts in Africa. It's a very popular cultural image, and people don't stop to think that while there are communities scattered about like that, Africa is covered in "modern" cities, and urban centers like Cairo, Lagos, Kilgali, Johannesburg, and countless others.
I don't know, but now I and everybody else here is really impressed that you are not one of those dolts and really know much about Africa's urban life while we all were thinking Cairo is mostly huts. I just don't know what does it have to do with the topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 03:08 PM
 
Location: CT
1,215 posts, read 2,081,627 times
Reputation: 1998
Jobber, think whatever you want. You ignore everything you can't answer anyway. Your definition of suburb is wrong based on your own "source" and refuse to answer the claim that NYC would still be urban if it was actually a collection of a million or a thousand small cities because you would have to admit an area's urbanity has nothing to do with city limits. Also, I have no idea why I'm arguing about this area with someone who thinks Nassau County served as a 6th borough for decades. Argue on, nobody agrees with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 5,219,054 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Yeah, I can tell you are very dense.
You come up w/ that all by yourself? lol. Running the course of your argument are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top