U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,263 posts, read 7,183,439 times
Reputation: 2890
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Ha, ha. When you say I am going to the city and you live in Brooklyn that's understandable. Manhattan is after all, the center of its all. But if you are in New Jersey and still say I am going to the city implying you are going to Manhattan than that's crazy. You are from out-of-town. The city for you guys is the great City of New York and Brooklyn with 3M people is bigger city than all of the NJ cities lumped together.
Stay in Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2010, 11:54 AM
 
152 posts, read 109,722 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Stay in Maryland.

Maryland? Ha ha. Kid from the burbs gets offended when reminded he lives in the burbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,263 posts, read 7,183,439 times
Reputation: 2890
You know what I don;t understand?

Why is it that people get so angry at NJ because it's apart of the NYC metropolitan region? People try to belittle NJ and compare its insignificance to NYC, which is just straight bizarre. Any metro area is less significant than the city it's a part, I'm not understanding the obsession with trying to irritate NJians. Who cares, we have better access to Manhattan than the majority of NYS- get over it.

If NYC being in NYS was such a big deal, how come no one from Buffalo is making a case about NJ? They know damn well Northern NJ is more apart of NYC than Buffalo is.

Access over boundaries. Location Location Location. It's arrogantly ignorant to say otherwise.

Newark and Jersey City are suburbs... If that makes you feel better about yourself, I have no problem with you believing that.
You're offended by NJ in general, IDK how you think you're proving points being so obnoxious and pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM
 
152 posts, read 109,722 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You know what I don;t understand?

Why is it that people get so angry at NJ because it's apart of the NYC metropolitan region? .
No. We only get angry when some kid from the burbs tries to put down ANY of the parts of the city. You are surely part of the Metro but you are NOT part of the city. We don't care how many restuarants or tall buildings you have. We are in the city. You are in the burbs. You are from out of state and out of town. Stop pretending like you know anything about OUR city. Brooklyn is 3M people, Hoboken and JC is maybe 200K on a good day. What are you comparing yourself to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You know what I don;t understand?
They know damn well Northern NJ is more apart of NYC than Buffalo is.
That's what I am talking about. No location in NJ is part of NYC. You are a part of New York City metro just like Nassau, Westechester and Orange counties but your are NOT any part of NYC. Do you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Newark and Jersey City are suburbs....
Newark is an irrelevant dump and Jersey City.... Jersey City in revitalized parts is a NYC suburb and in not revitalized parts, a dump like almost every town surrounding Newark.
There is no beauty in Harrison, Elizabeth, Irvington, East Orange and so on. They are all dumps with super high crime rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You're offended by NJ in general.
Yes. I am. Nobody in New York likes New Jersey. You are a favorite object of our jokes. Nobody likes New Jersey in general. Haven't you watched that famous South Park episode?

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...a-jersey-thing

Last edited by jobber23; 12-08-2010 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY e__e
654 posts, read 659,698 times
Reputation: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Ha, ha. When you say I am going to the city and you live in Brooklyn that's understandable. Manhattan is after all, the center of its all. But if you are in New Jersey and still say I am going to the city implying you are going to Manhattan than that's nonsense. You are from out-of-town. You are from out of state. The city for you guys is the Great City of New York whith 3M people big Brooklyn being bigger than all of the NJ cities lumped together. Isn't that funny when someome from the suburbs is trying to put the boros down?
What the hell? This is just trolling, are you really that bored wherever you are? Where are you from and how are you even speaking on NY & NJ? The City = Manhattan. I think just about all of Hudson County is closer to the city than I am and I live in Queens, I know for a fact that there's people in NJ that know more about the city than I do. Haha I'd probably get lost somewhere lol. New Jersey is not out of town, maybe to people who've never been anywhere like some people in this sorry discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM
 
152 posts, read 109,722 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
What the hell? This is just trolling, are you really that bored wherever you are? Where are you from and how are you even speaking on NY & NJ? The City = Manhattan. I think just about all of Hudson County is closer to the city than I am and I live in Queens, I know for a fact that there's people in NJ that know more about the city than I do. Haha I'd probably get lost somewhere lol. New Jersey is not out of town, maybe to people who've never been anywhere like some people in this sorry discussion.
What's wrong with you? What does it have to with anything how close you live to Manhattan? New York City is New York City and New Jersey, no matter how close to Manhattan will always be another state and people from NJ are always from out of town and out of state. Try coming to my Brooklyn neighborhood and tell people that you live in New York City in Hoboken.
Are you nuts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 4,654,645 times
Reputation: 1126
N130, be prepared for KONY and jobber to accuse you of being "not a real NYer".

Hahaha. Because according to (both) of these knuckleheads, "nobody in NY likes NJ".

This is getting funnier. I will assume a semi-passive role in the remainder of this conversation, since it provides me with a nice diversion from crazy day.

But I must ask - Jobber, if nobody in NY likes NJ, why do so many NYers move to NJ? Because, call me crazy, but if I didn't like a place, I sure wouldn't move to it. And it seems awfully fishy how hundreds of thousands of NYers move to NJ each year, if they don't like the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 PM
 
152 posts, read 109,722 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
But I must ask - Jobber, if nobody in NY likes NJ, why do so many NYers move to NJ? .
...And if nobody likes it why so many people pay parking tickets? Just like with moving to New Jersey: they don't have a choice. As New York continues to grow some people get priced out of all good locations in the city so they move to New Jersey. New Yorkers have been traditionally moving to Connecticut, Long Island, Pennsylvania and even South Florida. Do you think New Jersey is so special that New Yorkers only move there? Or maybe they chose New Jersey for its culture?

Watch this South Park episode. It explains what we all think about New Jersey:

It's a Jersey Thing (Season 14, Episode 9) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

Last edited by jobber23; 12-08-2010 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY e__e
654 posts, read 659,698 times
Reputation: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
What's wrong with you? What does it have to with anything how close you live to Manhattan? New York City is New York City and New Jersey, no matter how close to Manhattan will always be another state and people from NJ are always from out of town and out of state. Try coming to my Brooklyn neighborhood and tell people that you live in New York City in Hoboken.
Are you nuts?
I said the city, the city is Manhattan; New York City is the 5 boroughs. When someone says they're going to the city they're not talking about Staten Island, The Bronx, Brooklyn, or Queens. I said I know there's NJ residents that know the city (Manhattan) better than I do. Just because it's another state doesn't mean anything, it's closer to the city (Manhattan) than I am. Hudson County is the head 6th borough, the 6th borough is an unnoficial term so don't get all riled up again.

No how about you try going to Newark and say what you said earlier on lol. I'll even tag along so I can post the footage on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
N130, be prepared for KONY and jobber to accuse you of being "not a real NYer".

Hahaha. Because according to (both) of these knuckleheads, "nobody in NY likes NJ".

This is getting funnier. I will assume a semi-passive role in the remainder of this conversation, since it provides me with a nice diversion from crazy day.

But I must ask - Jobber, if nobody in NY likes NJ, why do so many NYers move to NJ? Because, call me crazy, but if I didn't like a place, I sure wouldn't move to it. And it seems awfully fishy how hundreds of thousands of NYers move to NJ each year, if they don't like the place.
Exactly you hit the nail on the head, this hatred only seems to exist on City-Data. And where's this True New Yorker handbook I need to read? These "True New Yorkers" sound so fake. I'll be an Authentic New Yorker that's just real and you can be this so called True New Yorker that follows the made up rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 02:36 PM
 
1,890 posts, read 1,523,294 times
Reputation: 959
Quick story from someone from South Jersey: I was in Brooklyn a couple months ago and called my friend in Manhattan and said "yo I'm in the city." When he asked which part and I said Brooklyn Heights, he started laughing at me, as did his friends in the background. That's the first time I realized North Jersey/the other four boroughs/Long Island/Westchester County call only Manhattan "the city."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top