U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-08-2010, 02:39 PM
 
152 posts, read 204,661 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
I said the city, the city is Manhattan; New York City is the 5 boroughs. When someone says they're going to the city they're not talking about Staten Island, The Bronx, Brooklyn, or Queens. I said I know there's NJ residents that know the city (Manhattan) better than I do. Just because it's another state doesn't mean anything, it's closer to the city (Manhattan) than I am. Hudson County is the head 6th borough, the 6th borough is an unnoficial term so don't get all riled up again. These "True New Yorkers" sound so fake.

No how about you try going to Newark and say what you said earlier on lol. I'll even tag along so I can post the footage on YouTube.


So what that Hoboken is closer to Manhattan than Coney Island??? Coney Island will always be a part of New York tradition and culture the way Hoboken is not and never will be. If you don't get it than I am sorry but you don't know much about New York City. Hoboken/JC is what? 200,000 people? How is that a boro??? Unless you consider the entire Hudson county with Harrison, Secaucus or East Newark to be a part of the sixth boro but then, have you ever been there? What dod they have in common with NYC???

Logically expression "the city" means Manhattan only when you are within the five boros - you are already in the city so when you say you are going to the city everybody know you are talking about Manhattan but when you are in Patterson, Morristown or Hoboken it's not the same. Of course Hobokenites for some reason consider themselves as living in the city of New York so they imitate new Yorkers but using the same "the city" expression in New Jersey is simply funny.

Last edited by jobber23; 12-08-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
654 posts, read 1,101,963 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
The city is manhattan within five boros but if someone form Patterson or Morristown or White Plain say they are going to the city they mean, the city of New York i.e. all of the five boros.
Don't give me that Hudson County sixth boro c**p again. So what that Hoboken is closer to Manhattan than Coney Island? Coney Island will always be a part of New York tradition and culture the way Hoboken is not and never will be. If you don't get it than I am sorry but you don't know much about New York City. Hoboken/JC is what? 200,000 people? How is that a boro???
Incorrect.

Coney Island is a very special part of New York City, I never said it wasn't. However it's in Brooklyn which isn't "the city".

I said Hudson County, not Hoboken/Jersey City. Hudson County's population is 608,975 which would make it the 5th most populated borough out of 6 and it would rank between Denver & Nashville for that population. How wouldn't that be a borough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,096,552 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
...And if nobody likes it why so many people pay parking tickets? Just like with moving to New Jersey: they don't have a choice. As New York continues to grow some people get priced out of all good locations in the city so they move to New Jersey. New Yorkers have been traditionally moving to Connecticut, Long Island, Pennsylvania and even South Florida. Do you think New Jersey is so special that New Yorkers only move there? Or maybe they chose New Jersey for its culture?

Watch this South Park episode. It explains what we all think about New Jersey:

It's a Jersey Thing (Season 14, Episode 9) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
Um, well, you are just wrong. Outside of Manhattan, NJ is just as expensive as the rest of the 4 boroughs. You think people from the BRONX move to Bergen County because they got priced out of the Bronx? Hahahaha.

No, people from the Bronx move to Bergen County NJ (one of the wealthiest counties in the US), and they consider it a HUGE step up. It is MUCH more expensive to live in Bergen County than just about ANY neighborhood in the Bronx. They move to NJ to escape the rat hole that is about 80% of the Bronx.

Let's take it beyond MOVING to a place ... why do all the NYers come to the Jersey Shore each summer, and bring their nasty attitudes with them, tainting the reputation of our beautiful beaches? Surely nobody held a gun to their head and made them go to the Jersey Shore for a day or a weekend at the beach?

You and KONY are real entertainers. Keep it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
3,655 posts, read 4,297,660 times
Reputation: 4521
Poughkeepsie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 03:01 PM
 
152 posts, read 204,661 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Incorrect.

Coney Island is a very special part of New York City, I never said it wasn't. However it's in Brooklyn which isn't "the city".
For you it's not. You're in Queens. You are in the five boros. For somebody from Poughkeepsie, White Plains or Jersey City, the city means The City Of New York.
When folks say they "go to the city" and they are out of town/out of state they mean the entire city of New York.


Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
I said Hudson County, not Hoboken/Jersey City. Hudson County's population is 608,975 which would make it the 5th most populated borough out of 6 and it would rank between Denver & Nashville for that population. How wouldn't that be a borough?
Entire Hudson County? ha ha Have you ever been to Secaucus, East Newark, Harrison, Kearny or Bayonne??? ha ha. You think they have anything in common with the city of new York or Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Queens, NY
654 posts, read 1,101,963 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
For you it's not. You're in Queens. You are in the five boros. For somebody from Poughkeepsie, White Plains or Jersey City, the city means The City Of New York.
When folks say they "go to the city" and they are out of town/out of state they mean the entire city of New York.

http://www.penolashow.com.au/images/animated%20arrow.gif (broken link)http://www.penolashow.com.au/images/animated%20arrow.gif (broken link)http://www.penolashow.com.au/images/animated%20arrow.gif (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Quick story from someone from South Jersey: I was in Brooklyn a couple months ago and called my friend in Manhattan and said "yo I'm in the city." When he asked which part and I said Brooklyn Heights, he started laughing at me, as did his friends in the background. That's the first time I realized North Jersey/the other four boroughs/Long Island/Westchester County call only Manhattan "the city."

Quote:
Entire Hudson County? ha ha Have you ever been to Secaucus, East Newark, Harrison, Kearny or Bayonne??? ha ha. You think they have anything in common with the city of new York or Manhattan?
New York City doesn't equal Manhattan, it's every part of New York City, I'm very sure there's areas in the 5 boroughs that matches those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,096,552 times
Reputation: 1191
My father always said, never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, and then they will beat you with experience each time.

Some of us need to take this advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 03:15 PM
 
152 posts, read 204,661 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Um, well, you are just wrong. Outside of Manhattan, NJ is just as expensive as the rest of the 4 boroughs. You think people from the BRONX move to Bergen County because they got priced out of the Bronx? Hahahaha.

No, people from the Bronx move to Bergen County NJ (one of the wealthiest counties in the US), and they consider it a HUGE step up. It is MUCH more expensive to live in Bergen County than just about ANY neighborhood in the Bronx. They move to NJ to escape the rat hole that is about 80% of the Bronx.

Let's take it beyond MOVING to a place ... why do all the NYers come to the Jersey Shore each summer, and bring their nasty attitudes with them, tainting the reputation of our beautiful beaches? Surely nobody held a gun to their head and made them go to the Jersey Shore for a day or a weekend at the beach?

You and KONY are real entertainers. Keep it up!
No. You are the entertainer here.
1) New York City in general is one of the most expensive places on the planet.
2) Neighborhoods like Park Slope and Williamsburg in Brooklyn or Forrest Hills in Queens, to list just a few, are more expensive per square foot than anything in New Jersey.
3) Bergen County includes such urban gems as Hackensack, Garfield or Lodi. Do you think anybody would consider them a step up unless they come from a real ghetto?

And, cut the Jersey Shore c**p. Sure some NY go to New Jersey but we have much better beaches in Long Island like Jones Beach or South Hampton. Like I said, people pay parking tickets but it does not mean they like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 03:17 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,595,546 times
Reputation: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
No. We only get angry when some kid from the burbs tries to put down ANY of the parts of the city. You are surely part of the Metro but you are NOT part of the city. We don't care how many restuarants or tall buildings you have. We are in the city. You are in the burbs. You are from out of state and out of town. Stop pretending like you know anything about OUR city. Brooklyn is 3M people, Hoboken and JC is maybe 200K on a good day. What are you comparing yourself to?



That's what I am talking about. No location in NJ is part of NYC. You are a part of New York City metro just like Nassau, Westechester and Orange counties but your are NOT any part of NYC. Do you get it?



Newark is an irrelevant dump and Jersey City.... Jersey City in revitalized parts is a NYC suburb and in not revitalized parts, a dump like almost every town surrounding Newark.
There is no beauty in Harrison, Elizabeth, Irvington, East Orange and so on. They are all dumps with super high crime rates.



Yes. I am. Nobody in New York likes New Jersey. You are a favorite object of our jokes. Nobody likes New Jersey in general. Haven't you watched that famous South Park episode?

It's a Jersey Thing (Season 14, Episode 9) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

Grow up already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 PM
 
152 posts, read 204,661 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
New York City doesn't equal Manhattan, it's every part of New York City, I'm very sure there's areas in the 5 boroughs that matches those areas.

Do we have a place like Secaucus in the five boros? Really? Have you ever been there? I don't reacll seeing super big malls with huge parking lots in the city. So much for the ENTIRE Hudson county being similar to New York or being called the sixth boro ;0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top