U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM
 
152 posts, read 205,030 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Uh, I guess you´ve never been to Staten Island?

Staten Island has a huge mall, bigger than anything in Secaucus.

In fact, there are parts of Staten Island that are even more suburban than Secaucus. Parts of the South Shore of Staten Island consist of big homes on wooded lots, with deer running through the back yard.

Now admittedly most of Staten Island is not this suburban. Most parts are quasi-urban, especially in the northern half. But there are definitely very suburban parts.
My point is that some folks here try to potray Hudson County as one huge Jersey City/Hoboken type urbanity while even most of JC is not that nice and most of Hudson county is not that urban. Some parts of Hudson County especially those bordering Newark are run down. Where is that huge mall in SI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:44 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,628,852 times
Reputation: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
You are from Jersey, he is from Long Island and you both have the same opinion about New York City. Your are both from the burbs.
I did grow up in the burbs... What's your point?

I had great memories growing up- I met awesome people, I had the convenience of NYC, I got a good education, and I grew up to love the state. You think just because you or any other NYer has an overbearing, mysterious hatred for NJ that you're credibility is any more valid than mine?
Your mentality is flawed.

I think of NYC as nothing more than a big great convenience that I've always had close ties with (family, friends, events, etc). Does that **** you off or something? I don't get your overbearing obsession with NJ.

For the record, the only time I go to NYC is for family- Sometimes for nightlife, but not often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,628,852 times
Reputation: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Where is that mall in SI?
There's only one mall in Staten Island.... lol, wow- How can you not know this yet speak on the behalf of NYC like you have all the credibility in the world!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:47 PM
 
759 posts, read 1,623,884 times
Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
It's the most poverty stricken borough of NYC, known worldwide for it's crime ... and Bergen County is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation.
Honestly, tommyc, I have agreed with you 100% until this point, but now you´re acting as silly as some of the other forumers.

The Bronx has a much lower crime rate than Boston or San Francisco. It doesn´t have a high crime rate for U.S. urban standards. It once did, but not now.

As for worldwide reputation, I don´t care. Folks from my country (I´m an immigrant) think Americans live next to cowboys and movie stars. Reputation isn´t reality.

I don´t know the worldwide reputation of the Bronx, but if it´s negative, then it´s because of outdated stereotypes and 1970´s movies like The Warriors and Fort Apache, The Bronx. The fact is that the Bronx does not have high crime for a U.S. urban center.

And Bergen County is wealthy, but not one of the very wealthiest counties. Westchester County, NY is wealthier. Fairfield County, CT is wealthier.

But none of this matters. You are correct that Bergen is generally very prosperous and the Bronx is generally working class.

But you have to go beyond the stereotypes and understand the real world. The Bronx will always have poverty because it has vast amounts of subsidized housing. The poverty is not there because the Bronx is ¨bad¨, but because that´s where the public housing was built.

If you built the exact same public housing in Alpine, or Scarsdale, or the Upper East Side of Manhattan, you would have the same poverty rates, because there are specific income requirements for the housing. It has nothing to do with the relative desirability of Bronx housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 PM
 
152 posts, read 205,030 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
There's only one mall in Staten Island.... lol, wow- How can you not know this yet speak on the behalf of NYC like you have all the credibility in the world!?
If there is only one than it is not bigger than the mall in Paramus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 PM
 
152 posts, read 205,030 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I did grow up in the burbs... What's your point?.
My point is what are you doing voicing your opinion about a big city like New York???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,628,852 times
Reputation: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
If there is only one than it is not bigger than the mall in Paramus.
Well you seem to more more about Paramus than a borough in NYC- Kudos to you.
Did you also know Paramus is one of the largest shopping meccas in the country, with over $5 billion in annual retail sales. More than any other zip code in the nation.

They asses no sales tax on clothing- NYC takes advantage of those malls as much as you try to downplay NJ because of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM
 
759 posts, read 1,623,884 times
Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
If there is only one than it is not bigger than the mall in Paramus.
But you said Secaucus. The SI Mall is much bigger than anything in Secaucus.

And Paramus probably has more malls than anywhere else in the country. What´s your point already? No one here is going to argue that Paramus is a model of urbanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
 
152 posts, read 205,030 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
It's the most poverty stricken borough of NYC, known worldwide for it's crime ... and Bergen County is one of the wealthiest counties in the nation.
Posts like this remind me that New Jersey will always be a suburb.
So what that Bergen County is one of the wealthiest? Who ever heard about Bergen County? What is located there beside the mall in Paramus? Where is the culture in Bergen County?

On the other hand The Bronx is a world wide famous boro of New York, birth place of world wide popular rap music and home of the New York Yankees. It is always been a boro with some beautiful and superexpensive neighborhoods.

New Jersey and its suburban pride in manicured lawns and boring lives. No culture whatsover. The burbs will always be the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,628,852 times
Reputation: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Posts like this remind me that New Jersey will always be a suburb.
So what bergen County is one of the wealthiest? Who ever heard about Bergen County? What is located there beside the mall in Paramus?

On the other hand The Bronx is a world wide famous boro of New York, birth place of world wide popular rap music and home of the New York Yankees. It is always a boro with beautiful and superexpensive neighborhood.

New Jersey and its suburban pride in manicured lawns and boring lives. No culture whatsover. The burbs will always be the burbs.
So your goal in life is to spitefully bash NJians?

It sounds like you're the one with a boring life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top