U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-09-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,636 posts, read 4,732,603 times
Reputation: 2230

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
greatest CITY in the world?
You sure spend a lot of time worried about New Jersey in the greatest city in the world. Shouldn't you be doing something cool right now?

And how many times are you going to post the same cornball link? What a lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2010, 02:58 PM
 
Location: NY
115 posts, read 95,682 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Haha, yeah it is HILARIOUS when a NYer says anything about "guidos" in NJ. I always say, "Really??? You are from NY"

It's the same concept as when a NYer says that NJ smells. Really NYer? How does your city smell? NJ smells like a garden of roses compared to ANY NYC streets on a summer day.

IMHO, the smelliest street on a summer day in the Bronx is more pleasant than that godawful poisonous smell on the Turnpike.

I have nothing against NJ either, it's a very highly educated/wealthy "suburb" with great access to the city, but it's the truth. I can't believe all that ugly/smelly industrial crap is not hidden but out in the open! It's the first thing people leaving NYC see when passing through NJ (to EWR, for instance)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 03:00 PM
 
152 posts, read 194,124 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
You sure spend a lot of time worried about New Jersey in the greatest city in the world. Shouldn't you be doing something cool right now?

And how many times are you going to post the same cornball link? What a lame.
I just want to make sure that you know what the world outside thinks about you so you stop pretending you live in some urban dream and extension of NYC etc etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,636 posts, read 4,732,603 times
Reputation: 2230
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
IMHO, the smelliest street on a summer day in the Bronx is more pleasant than that godawful poisonous smell on the Turnpike.

I have nothing against NJ either, it's a very highly educated/wealthy "suburb" with great access to the city, but it's the truth. I can't believe all that ugly/smelly industrial crap is not hidden but out in the open! It's the first thing people leaving NYC see when passing through NJ (to EWR, for instance)
Awww................... Hurt feelings?
The sheer abundance of garbage juice flowing on the streets of Manhattan is nauseating. Trash piled high on the sidewalk & the aroma of stale urine make for a lovely bouquet.
Lets not even get into the disgusting bedbug issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 03:16 PM
 
152 posts, read 194,124 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
LOL, so it's ok to trash NJ beyond recognition, but it's not ok to make "generalizations" about the Bronx? Of course the bronx has plenty to offer, but you're the one making all these generalizations. Irvington/East Orange, etc are not the only suburbs we have?- get over yourself and give up. Everybody know's NNJ has some shtty communities.

But then there's Alpine, Ridgewood, Franklin Lakes, Basking Ridge- The nice communities out weigh the bad
What's nice about Basking Ridge or Franklin Lakes? The fact that you have to drive to get milk or cigarettes? Or that it dies after 6 pm? Walkable? Who walks there and where to???

Anyways, you wanted JC/Hoboken to be considered the sixth boro and when I pointed out that they are both about 200K hence to small, you brought up the entire Hudson with 600K. Now, you and I we both know that the Hudson county is very different then Hoboken and gentrified parts of JC. Most of Hudson is car oriented with some real uglies like Harrison, East Newark, Bayonne or Garfield - a far cry from Hoboken. Some real streched out suburbs like Secaucus and Kearny. Aren't they? So, does entire 600K strong Hudson county look to you like an extension of New York City?

See, that's where I get pissed, you are trying to sell me that the entire Hudson County, or as some here want, the entire North Jersey is just one big Hoboken with "PATH trains straight to 9th st". I have been all over North Jersey. I know your Morristowns and Andovers. I know Passaics and Patersons. I know what New Jersey is outside of Hoboken. How does it look outside of Ho-Ho-Kus, Sparta and Alpine. And I know that in New Jersey places like 40,000 strong Hoboken are an exception not a rule. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 03:20 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,257 posts, read 11,010,900 times
Reputation: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
IMHO, the smelliest street on a summer day in the Bronx is more pleasant than that godawful poisonous smell on the Turnpike.

I have nothing against NJ either, it's a very highly educated/wealthy "suburb" with great access to the city, but it's the truth. I can't believe all that ugly/smelly industrial crap is not hidden but out in the open! It's the first thing people leaving NYC see when passing through NJ (to EWR, for instance)
I agree, that stretch of highway from is the worst around Elizabeth-Linden. It's the only state that crams it's industrial scene along one of the most heavily driven highways and near one of the nations busiest airports- It's alo the intro for the highest rated television series in history "The Sopranos"- It's a bad impression indeed lol

Either way, the stench is nearly as bad as it was 10+ years ago- Most times you can get by only smelling a wiff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 03:20 PM
 
152 posts, read 194,124 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Awww................... Hurt feelings?
The sheer abundance of garbage juice flowing on the streets of Manhattan is nauseating. Trash piled high on the sidewalk & the aroma of stale urine make for a lovely bouquet.
Lets not even get into the disgusting bedbug issue.
Here we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 03:20 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,636 posts, read 4,732,603 times
Reputation: 2230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
What's nice about Basking Ridge or Franklin Lakes? The fact that you have to drive to get milk or cigarettes? Or that it dies after 6 pm? Walkable? Who walks there and where to???

Anyways, you wanted JC/Hoboken to be considered the sixth boro and when I pointed out that they are both about 200K hence to small, you brought up the entire Hudson with 600K. Now, you and I we both know that the Hudson county is very different then Hoboken and gentrified parts of JC. Most of Hudson is car oriented with some uglies like Harrison, East Newark, Bayonne or Garfield - a far cry from Hoboken. Aren't they? Does entire Hudson county look to you like an extension of New York City?

See, that's where I get pissed, you are trying to tell me that the entire Hudson County, or as some want, the entire North Jersey is just one big Hoboken with PATH trains straight to 9th st. I have been all over North Jersey. I know your Morristowns and Andovers. I know Passaics and Patersons. I know what New Jersey is outside of Hoboken. How does it look outside of Ho-Ho-Kus, Sparta and Alpine.

In New Jersey places like 40,000 strong Hoboken are an exception not a rule. That's all.
Your wording is all too familiar.................... Just come out & state your previous screen names. It's okay. You're already hiding behind a computer, why be scared?
Straight clown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 03:21 PM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,257 posts, read 11,010,900 times
Reputation: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
What's nice about Basking Ridge or Franklin Lakes? The fact that you have to drive to get milk or cigarettes? Or that it dies after 6 pm? Walkable? Who walks there and where to???

Anyways, you wanted JC/Hoboken to be considered the sixth boro and when I pointed out that they are both about 200K hence to small, you brought up the entire Hudson with 600K. Now, you and I we both know that the Hudson county is very different then Hoboken and gentrified parts of JC. Most of Hudson is car oriented with some real uglies like Harrison, East Newark, Bayonne or Garfield - a far cry from Hoboken. Some real streched out suburbs like Secaucus and Kearny. Aren't they? So, does entire 600K strong Hudson county look to you like an extension of New York City?

See, that's where I get pissed, you are trying to sell me that the entire Hudson County, or as some here want, the entire North Jersey is just one big Hoboken with "PATH trains straight to 9th st". I have been all over North Jersey. I know your Morristowns and Andovers. I know Passaics and Patersons. I know what New Jersey is outside of Hoboken. How does it look outside of Ho-Ho-Kus, Sparta and Alpine. And I know that in New Jersey places like 40,000 strong Hoboken are an exception not a rule. That's all.
LOL... Garfield is in Bergen County... closer to Paterson.. with a different area code.
You really do know what you're talking about.

Either way, Hudson county looks much more like an extension of NYC than the Florida city you mentioned in the beginning of this thread. You just want to belittle, just admit it. IDC that you don't like NJ, it's just the fact that you're generalizing it so hard like it's your ex that cheated on you.

And your preaching doesn't make much sense.. You have NYC... and you have Rochester, Plattsburgh, and Troy... What's your point?

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-09-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 03:36 PM
 
152 posts, read 194,124 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
LOL... Garfield is in Bergen County... closer to Paterson.. with a different area code.
You really do know what you're talking about.

Either way, Hudson county looks much more like an extension of NYC than the Florida city you mentioned in the beginning of this thread. You just want to belittle, just admit it. IDC that you don't like NJ, it's just the fact that you're generalizing it so hard like it's your ex that cheated on you.
That's right. Garfield is in Bergen but Bayonne, Kearny, Secaucus, Harrison and East Newark are all in Hudson. Do they look to you like another Hoboken or an extension of NYC? How?

You wanted the entire Hudson county to be called "the sixth boro" based just on example of Hoboken and JC. Isn't that a generalization or maybe you just do not see any difference between Harrison and Hoboken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top