U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM

2,646 posts, read 4,971,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
percpection in in big part based on reality.
If you're from NYC it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:20 PM

152 posts, read 203,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
If you're from NYC it is.
Obviously. Look how succesful the city is. What is perception based on in New Jersey? Wishfull thinking?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM

2,646 posts, read 4,971,922 times
Quote:
Obviously. Look how succesful the city is. What is perception based on in New Jersey? Wishfull thinking?
Nah............................... NJ knows what NJ is. NYC loves to paint a picture of what the rest of the nation should think about us, but I live here & I know NY dudes like you.
NYC moves here in droves. They are looking to upgrade. I know that makes you mad, but that's on you.
Truth is truth.

Either way............. When are you going to admit your trolling past?

Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Nah............................... NJ knows what NJ is.

1) New Jersey does not know what it is. The rest of the world does:

It's a Jersey Thing (Season 14, Episode 9) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

The world is scared of being filled with loud, obnoxious and tasteless NewJerseyans....

Old 12-09-2010, 04:11 PM

11,812 posts, read 9,740,612 times
Quote:
1) New Jersey does not know what it is. The rest of the world does:

It's a Jersey Thing (Season 14, Episode 9) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

The world is scared of being filled with loud, obnoxious and tasteless NewJerseyans....
I probably wouldn't use that South Park episode to illustrate that New Jerseyans are "loud, obnoxious and tasteless".
Except for Sammy, the entire cast of "Jersey" Shore are straight from New York. The Mayor of Belmar, NJ recently got into some trouble for slamming Staten Island girls and the trashy element they bring during the Summer months to the otherwise sleepy town. It seems that New Yorkers are always trying to push their negative stereotypes onto New Jersey and the rest of the country just eats it up.

Jersey Shore mayor disses Staten Island, 'Guidos,' blonds (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2008/07/16/2008-07-16_jersey_shore_mayor_disses_staten_island_.html - broken link)

Old 12-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I probably wouldn't use that South Park episode to illustrate that New Jerseyans are "loud, obnoxious and tasteless".
Except for Sammy, the entire cast of "Jersey" Shore are straight from New York. The Mayor of Belmar, NJ recently got into some trouble for slamming Staten Island girls and the trashy element they bring during the Summer months to the otherwise sleepy town. It seems that New Yorkers are always trying to push their negative stereotypes onto New Jersey and the rest of the country just eats it up.

Jersey Shore mayor disses Staten Island, 'Guidos,' blonds (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2008/07/16/2008-07-16_jersey_shore_mayor_disses_staten_island_.html - broken link)
What does this episode have to do with guidos? It potrays the typical loud obnoxious and tasteless New Jersey attitude. New Jersey is not really known for culture, its theater or arts scene is unknown to general public but its population is world-wide famous for being loud and tasteless. It's easy to blame others for your own shortcomings but like I said, generally new Jersey is not famous for any form of culture if you don't count the "Jersey Shore" show, of course.

Watch it again: It's a Jersey thing...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...a-jersey-thing

Last edited by jobber23; 12-09-2010 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 04:39 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,067,690 times
Quote:
That's right. Garfield is in Bergen but Bayonne, Kearny, Secaucus, Harrison and East Newark are all in Hudson. Do they look to you like another Hoboken or an extension of NYC? How?

You wanted the entire Hudson county to be called "the sixth boro" based just on example of Hoboken and JC. Isn't that a generalization or maybe you just do not see any difference between Harrison and Hoboken?
You realize that there are areas of NYC that range from as ugly, to far uglier, than those areas of Hudson County you mention?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
You realize that there are areas of NYC that range from as ugly, to far uglier, than those areas of Hudson County you mention?
Maybe so but they are all connected by the best in the nation transportation system and hardly examples of the so-called "car culture" hence very different then Hudson County. Here goes your sixth boro claim...

Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,067,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

Yes. 100% true. NYC forces it's negative realties onto NJ, and then laughs at NJ for it.

It's so silly. Luckily MOST intelligent people who have visited NJ can understand the reality of what NJ is -- it is the nice, leafy suburbs of NYC, with many miles of ocean coastline.

Drizzer - it is really bizarre how NYC has a glamorous image WORLDWIDE, but it's SUBURBS (NJ) are held in such low regard. It is mind boggling, actually.

I truly cannot think of ANY city where the city itself is held in such high regard, and the general perception of it's suburbs needs a real image facelift.

When you get down to the root of it, it really makes you scratch your head as to how NJ is viewed by the rest of the US. As a state it is: the #1 most educated state in the US. The #1-2 (depending on the year) wealthiest state in the US. Best public transportation network out of any US state. 120 miles of coastline ranging from honky tonk boardwalks to pristine quiet beaches. All of this, *AND* it is the suburbs of what is viewed as the world's best city.

When you analyze it, exactly what IS there to make fun of about NJ, anyway? It really is the perfect state, whether one desires urban, suburban, rural or coastal.

Why has the media continuously and actively chosen to perpetuate those tired stereotypes over the past 30 years or so?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,148,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sorry, I live in Manhattan and my roommate was born and raised here with about four generations rooted in Manhattan. Outer boroughs is outer boroughs. You live in the outer boroughs so it doesn't matter what you say (pretty much what I've heard from several native Manhattanites).
I love manhattan and have family/friends in manhattan went from elementary school through highschool in manhattan. All i know is manhattan. But this post is retarded

NYC is a real city with real natives from all over the five boroughs. A manhattan native isnt any better than a bronx,brooklyn,queens native.lol

We know this, because there are people who live in affluent neighborhoods in the other boroughs(born and raised) who could just as easily afford a space in manhattan---without a ROOMATE. Lmao. I expect more from you Oy. You actually think that.

Your friend was probably one of those people who think manhattan starts at 96 street. lol. I could be living in wash heights with a manhattan address, does that make me a superior native than someone who lives in park slope. Stfup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or