U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-10-2010, 10:14 AM
 
152 posts, read 194,101 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
NY ISN'T what it is b/c of NJ and CT is a fact. Now, w/ that said, CT and definitely NJ's industrial capacity, location, and populace have a lot to do w/ NYC's growth.
Wrong. New York was a bustling city when new Jersey was well, a Garden State. First you build the city then you build the suburbs. Connecticut and Northern New Jersey has grown and became prosperous because NYC offered thousands of good paying jobs. Take a look at PATH stattion and 42nd St Bus Terminal on any weekday morning. Again, there are no rich suburbs in the farmland.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Afterall, when something grows does it not get bigger? NY is built out. Where do you think most of the goods in the NY area come from, NY itself? lol.
Alpine? Jersey City? Newark? Wrong: China. Like everywhere else in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
PS: there is no city in the US w/ 10million people in its borders.
Wrong. While the official number for NYC some 8.5M I bet it is off by at least another 2M of undocumented alliens who do not want to disclose their presence to Census Bureau.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Must be a "Jersey thing"...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...a-jersey-thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 6,789,493 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
Four words: New York media elite

(often transplants from Ohio, Kansas, Oregon who've "made it" and developed a troubling sense of superiority to everything and everyone else because of their address). Read the Manhattan-centric blogs such as Gawker, NYMag and Curbed, for instance.
I totally get the NY media thing (I actually work in media, in NYC), but it's bizarre how NJ is picked on...what is the FUNDAMENTAL reason for it? NJ is the suburbs of this great city. And it's some damn nice suburbs at that. Why the animosity?

Just doesn't make sense, and seems like something a bunch of 4th graders would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
1,395 posts, read 1,863,955 times
Reputation: 854
I just don't understand how this thread is still alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 AM
 
152 posts, read 194,101 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I totally get the NY media thing (I actually work in media, in NYC), but it's bizarre how NJ is picked on...what is the FUNDAMENTAL reason for it? NJ is the suburbs of this great city. And it's some damn nice suburbs at that. Why the animosity?

Just doesn't make sense, and seems like something a bunch of 4th graders would do.
You are from New Jersey and since you live in Jersey City most likely a transplant, either from another country, state or municipality in NJ so you don't get the differences between the city and New Jersey. New Jersey has always been different as the people inhabiting this great state have different values and tastes than New Yorkers. New Jerseyans are suburbians who abandonded thei big cities for endless suburbs, with no needs that would have to satisfied by arts and culture. Bear in mind, that even in central and south Jersey, far away from New York city there is vritually no cultural life and no art. To most New Yorkers New Jersey is almost like a void and honestly do you think anybody from out of state would be able to name anything specific about New Jersey, any event, any building, anything at all?
New Jersey is not famous for anything besides being the biggest suburb i the world. It's unbelievable considering this is the richest and most densely populated state in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 6,789,493 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Sure, sure. Have you ever seen most of Hudson county? What exactly is boro like in Kearny, East Newark or Secaucus?
Dude, come on, have you been to Kearny, East Newark, and Secaucus? All 3 resemble almost ALL parts of Queens. Which is a landscape I'm not fond of (that in between suburban and urban appearance), but don't try to disown it!

And why do you keep bringing up East Newark? Haha. It's like a 5 block town that's really a part of Harrison. Population, 2,000.

I'm ashamed at ALL of us for continuing to feed this troll. These threads become pissing contests, and everybody else tunes out anyway except for a handful of people, half of which are trolls. This is so silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 10:46 AM
 
152 posts, read 194,101 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Dude, come on, have you been to Kearny, East Newark, and Secaucus? All 3 resemble almost ALL parts of Queens. Which is a landscape I'm not fond of (that in between suburban and urban appearance), but don't try to disown it!

And why do you keep bringing up East Newark? Haha. It's like a 5 block town that's really a part of Harrison. Population, 2,000.

I'm ashamed at ALL of us for continuing to feed this troll. These threads become pissing contests, and everybody else tunes out anyway except for a handful of people, half of which are trolls. This is so silly.

Which part of Queens resembles Secaucus????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 6,789,493 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Which part of Queens resembles Secaucus????
Virtually all of them, except LIC and Astoria, and maybe the parts around Ridgewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 6,789,493 times
Reputation: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
You are from New Jersey and since you live in Jersey City most likely a transplant, either from another country, state or municipality in NJ so you don't get the differences between the city and New Jersey. New Jersey has always been different as the people inhabiting this great state have different values and tastes than New Yorkers. New Jerseyans are suburbians who abandonded thei big cities for endless suburbs, with no needs that would have to satisfied by arts and culture. Bear in mind, that even in central and south Jersey, far away from New York city there is vritually no cultural life and no art. To most New Yorkers New Jersey is almost like a void and honestly do you think anybody from out of state would be able to name anything specific about New Jersey, any event, any building, anything at all?
New Jersey is not famous for anything besides being the biggest suburb i the world. It's unbelievable considering this is the richest and most densely populated state in the nation.
Haha, I've lived in NYC and NJ my entire life, no transplant here. My mother and father, like many others, moved us from NY to greener pastures in NJ when we were children.

A very high percentage of NYC natives move to NJ. If you weren't aware of that, now you are.

I hope you develop a better understanding of how the NYC area works. Because honestly, you have a very long way to go. I, and many others on this forum, have tried to educate you (this is an educational board, anyway), but after hundreds of attempts, you're still not getting it.

Good luck though!

And PS - contrary to your statement, NJ is famous for lots of stuff, and very good stuff at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,459 posts, read 7,810,296 times
Reputation: 5474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Which part of Queens resembles Secaucus????
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Virtually all of them, except LIC and Astoria, and maybe the parts around Ridgewood.
NJ could resemble to any of city NY, but it could never be like NY. People from NY act different, dress different, walk different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM
 
152 posts, read 194,101 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Virtually all of them, except LIC and Astoria, and maybe the parts around Ridgewood.
Why did you singled out Ridgewood and Astoria? Is Woodside, Kew Gardens, Forrest Hills and many other so different from Ridgewood and Astoria? How?

It's not easy to find pictures of Secaucus on the web, there is nothing really significant in there, but take a drive on route three from Lincoln to Secaucus and tell me then if it looks like anything in Queens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top