Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 AM

152 posts, read 249,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Haha, I've lived in NYC and NJ my entire life, no transplant here. My mother and father, like many others, moved us from NY to greener pastures in NJ when we were children.
Greener pastures in Jersey City? I don't think so. Where exactly they moved your family? You are obviously not from the area.

Quote:
And PS - contrary to your statement, NJ is famous for lots of stuff, and very good stuff at that.
Anybody can say that about any place. If instead of humoring me and everybody else reading this thread you really wanted to make a valid point you should have provided some examples. What is exactly New JErsey famous for? The Turnpike? Birthplace of Sinatra? Jersey Shore show?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:34 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,239,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
NJ could resemble to any of city NY, but it could never be like NY. People from NY act different, dress different, walk different.
Yes, people who grew up in the suburbs do often dress different, walk different, etc than people who grew up in a city. I'm not so sure they act or dress different in the urban areas of NJ around NYC than they would in the outer boroughs of NYC though. In fact, the similarities abound.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, people who grew up in the suburbs do often dress different, walk different, etc than people who grew up in a city. I'm not so sure they act or dress different in the urban areas of NJ around NYC than they would in the outer boroughs of NYC though. In fact, the similarities abound.
I could never believe these ladies coming out of the WTC PATH station wearing fur coats and white sneakers... Fur coats and white sneakers on the snow

It's a Jersey thing

It's a Jersey Thing (Season 14, Episode 9) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

Old 12-10-2010, 12:11 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Which part of Queens resembles Secaucus????
Are you even familiar with NYC? You didn't even know SI had a mall, you didn't even realize "The City" meant Manhattan, and you didn't know Queens has suburban areas.

Utopia, Queens

Secaucus

Don't get me started on Fresh Meadows.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:11 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,239,635 times
Quote:
I could never believe these ladies coming out of the WTC PATH station wearing fur coats and white sneakers... Fur coats and white sneakers on the snow

It's a Jersey thing

It's a Jersey Thing (Season 14, Episode 9) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
That's a NY thing in general my friend...most women who live in Manhattan and walk to work sport that style.

I agree, it looks ridiculous. They do change into shoes when they arrive at work, though.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Are you even familiar with NYC? You didn't even know SI had a mall, you didn't even realize "The City" meant Manhattan, and you didn't know Queens has suburban areas.

Utopia, Queens
Secaucus

Don't get me started on Fresh Meadows.
Kid, Let it go. I always new SI had a mall, I sitll remember the stench outside, but I never knew it to be bigger than the monstrosity in Paramus as someone claimed. It is not.

Queens does not have suburban areas. Queens is located in the city. It has areas that are less densely populated but it is not a suburb the same way Central park is not a forrest although it may look like one from up close.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Kid, Let it go. I always new SI had a mall but I never new it was bigger than the monstrosity in Paramus.

Queens does not have suburban areas. Queens is located in the city. It has areas that are less densely populated but it is not a suburb.
"Utopia is a mostly a suburban neighborhood with tree lined streets."
Utopia, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
"Utopia is a mostly a suburban neighborhood with tree lined streets."
Utopia, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are three lined streets all over the city. That does not make it suburban. It is still within the city limits.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
There are three lined streets all over the city. That does not make it suburban. It is still within the city limits.
LOL at you skipping "Mostly a suburban neighborhood"

Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
That's a NY thing in general my friend...most women who live in Manhattan and walk to work sport that style.

I agree, it looks ridiculous. They do change into shoes when they arrive at work, though.
No, New Jersey and some transplants from Nebrasca do it as well.
Women in Jersey generally wear white sneakers all year round. It's a Jersey thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City