U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
 
152 posts, read 194,101 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
LOL at you skipping "Mostly a suburban neighborhood"
LOL at you discussing urbanity from Newark New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM
 
2,716 posts, read 4,974,260 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post

1) Wrong. New York was a bustling city when new Jersey was well, a Garden State. First you build the city then you build the suburbs. Connecticut and Northern New Jersey has grown and became prosperous because NYC offered thousands of good paying jobs. Take a look at PATH stattion and 42nd St Bus Terminal on any weekday morning. Again, there are no rich suburbs in the farmland.

2) Alpine? Jersey City? Newark? Wrong: China. Like everywhere else in the US.

3) Wrong. While the official number for NYC some 8.5M I bet it is off by at least another 2M of undocumented alliens who do not want to disclose their presence to Census Bureau.

4)Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Must be a "Jersey thing"...

It's a Jersey Thing (Season 14, Episode 9) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
1) All you did w/ this one was agree w/ me and spun the words. Good job(ber)

2) You didn't answer the question. And China isn't like everywhere in the US just so you know.

3) You 'betting' that NYC has 2million undocumented is not sourced proof. Want to see how? See below:

Here you go: I bet Newark really has 3 million people. I win

Assumptions lol, ain't a NY thing, but definitely a 'jobber' thing. I forgot though, you're the same person who says this: "I don't care what the US Census says"

LMAO!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 01:45 PM
 
2,716 posts, read 4,974,260 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
No, New Jersey and some transplants from Nebrasca do it as well.
Women in Jersey generally wear white sneakers all year round. It's a Jersey thing.
Lol at you discussing what somebody wears in NJ (you never come to Jersey right? lol looks like you're letting go some info you'd rather keep huh.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 PM
 
152 posts, read 194,101 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
1) All you did w/ this one was agree w/ me and spun the words. Good job(ber)

2) You didn't answer the question. And China isn't like everywhere in the US just so you know.

3) You 'betting' that NYC has 2million undocumented is not sourced proof. Want to see how? See below:

Here you go: I bet Newark really has 3 million people. I win

Assumptions lol, ain't a NY thing, but definitely a 'jobber' thing. I forgot though, you're the same person who says this: "I don't care what the US Census says"

LMAO!!
Oh New Jersey. You are always few years behind... Must be the Jersey thing

1) I did not agree with you one bit. You were and still are wrong.
2) China is major provider of goods, ANYWHERE, in America. Just visit one of your suburban malls.
3) New York City has at least 2M undocumented aliens, check out any restaurant in the five boros to see who is washing the dishes or who is mopping the floor after hours.
4) Newark does not have that many undocumented aliens. They don't come to Newark as they can easily have a third-world experience or get murdered at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 01:50 PM
 
Location: In the heights
16,538 posts, read 18,872,494 times
Reputation: 8095
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Of course we all met them. We also met those that look down at people living on the wrong side of Manhattan, East vs. West etc etc. In reality however the boros gained a lot of respect with neighborhoods like Brooklyn Downtown, Park Slope and "recently" Williamsburg becoming more culturally active and even glamorous than parts of Manhattan. Yes, it is much more hip to live in Williamsburg than in Tribeca or Upper East. You are talking about the dying breed and transplants. The city dynamics has changed a lot since 1970. Just try to tell me that Brooklyn's Williamsburg is just a cheaper alternative to Manhattan and I will tell you that this was true in 2000 but not that much in 2010.

There is however huge difference between culturally active neighborhoods in the city and bedroom communities in New Jersey. Hoboken, Wehawken, Edgewater or Alpine are nothing more than suburbs while Williamsburg and Park Slope become epicenters of NY's cultural life with Williamsburg event drawing crowd from all over the city. Do you see that?
Gaining respects by transplants. Wonderful. Hoboken and other parts of Hudson County have seen the same change for a while now (of course, just as with the northwestern quadrant of brooklyn, the western parts of Queens, and the northern stretches of Manhattan, Hudson County has changed drastically due to proximity to the City and cheaper rents), which I thought was common knowledge.

It so often sounds like you don't really know what you're fully saying because the arguments you make are the ones that actually support Hudson County being incredibly similar to the outer boroughs. Maybe it's some kind of special rhetorical device you're using where you really want people to vote for Hudson County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Location: In the heights
16,538 posts, read 18,872,494 times
Reputation: 8095
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
sounds like something that came out of the mouth of a person from a random flyover state that lives in the city off of his or her wealthy parents' money.

if it wasn't for ALL 5 boroughs, nyc wouldn't be what it is. period.
Yea, I'm with you on that. Except I've heard stuff exactly or like this from Manhattanites who have been here for several generations. Even the younger ones, who you'd think would know better, still have an aversion to the outer boroughs.

I don't agree with what's being said, but it's a good illustration of how much of an ass people who have an incredible amount of pride in being from someplace (though show nothing personally remarkable) are. You can always be out-excluded, and it's annoying to everyone.

See, I'm arguing by the same token with what all of you are saying because most of these arguments are arbitrarily limited and incredibly stupid. It's just as truthful to say that if it wasn't for New Jersey next door, NYC wouldn't be nearly the power that it is as NYC relies on Jersey to feed its coffers and provide much of its workforce, port shipments, general space, back office services and operations, air travel and shipments, etc. and nearing half of the metro's gross metropolitan product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 01:59 PM
 
2,716 posts, read 4,974,260 times
Reputation: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
Oh New Jersey. You are always few years behind... Must be the Jersey thing

1) I did not agree with you one bit. You were and still are wrong.
2) China is major provider of goods, ANYWHERE, in America. Just visit one of your suburban malls.
3) New York City has at least 2M undocumented aliens, check out any restaurant in the five boros to see who is washing the dishes or who is mopping the floor after hours.
4) Newark does not have that many undocumented aliens. They don't come to Newark as they can easily have a third-world experience or get murdered at home.
1) The feeling is quite mutual.

2) Wow, there is no way you didn't understand that. Man! Okay, try to stay w/ me:

-Goods come through the PORT. Port Newark-Elizabeth is the primary shipping container in this area and one of two on the east coast. A tremendous portion of goods that go into NYC come immediately west of its borders.

3) Oh, so you have some magical device that can tell who is documented and who isn't just by looking at workers in a restaurant? You know what that's called in these United States? A stereotype. Thought you should know...

Your arguments are getting weaker and weaker lol.

4) Nope, Newark does have the many b/c I said so. You know, like the way you did when you said NYC did (and then you told me to go look at people working in the stores and I'll be able to tell)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 PM
 
152 posts, read 194,101 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Gaining respects by transplants.
Wonderful. Hoboken and other parts of Hudson County have seen the same change for a while now (of course, just as with the northwestern quadrant of brooklyn, the western parts of Queens, and the northern stretches of Manhattan, Hudson County has changed drastically due to proximity to the City and cheaper rents), which I thought was common knowledge.

It so often sounds like you don't really know what you're fully saying because the arguments you make are the ones that actually support Hudson County being incredibly similar to the outer boroughs. Maybe it's some kind of special rhetorical device you're using where you really want people to vote for Hudson County?
And you still have a problem understanding that while Park Slope and Williamsburg became new hip areas of the city they also became cultural centers with extremely vivid art scene. The same can't be sad about Hoboken. You can see a difference, can't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
 
Location: In the heights
16,538 posts, read 18,872,494 times
Reputation: 8095
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
And you still have a problem understanding that while Park Slope and Williamsburg became new hip areas of the city they also became cultural centers with extremely vivid art scene. The same can't be sad about Hoboken. You can see a difference, can't you?
Park Slope does not have a vivid art scene, it's as moribund as it comes because it's basically yuppies now with almost no taste. Some of the other areas around it (Red Hook, especially, more and more so), but Park Slope itself, no.

Williamsburg, Bushwick, Greenpoint, and LIC in Queens are a good block for the art scene right now, so that makes sense.

However, you've got to be pretty foolish to not know that Hoboken has had a scene for a while now. Night's been falling on Hoboken since the mid 80s, and it's been spreading to other urban bits of Hudson County.

I like that you went on this subject, because I actually work and practice in that world. It's cute to watch you try so hard, I just want to roll you up in pancakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 02:17 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
908 posts, read 1,432,036 times
Reputation: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber23 View Post
sneakers on the snow
Yes we love our sneakers in NJ.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iye6Eb0h78Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top