Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times

Advertisements

Maybe a visual will do the trick.

By • estatik • (http://www.flickr.com/photos/estatik/ - broken link)

By Jersey City Project (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenclaremonochrome/ - broken link)

By Matheus Van Lobatos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/71428207@N00/ - broken link)

Y'know, a NEW YORKER wrote the NY theme song, but a guy from HOBOKEN sang it. (You couldn't get a NYer to do it?)
~

Now, Jabber, elaborate on "Palm Beach, FL" and how it's so much more worthy of being the unofficial "6th Boro"?

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-10-2010 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:43 PM

152 posts, read 250,596 times
[quote=OyCrumbler;16959133]Park Slope does not have a vivid art scene, it's as moribund as it comes because it's basically yuppies now with almost no taste. Some of the other areas around it (Red Hook, especially, more and more so), but Park Slope itself, no.

If you count the number of active writers living in Park Slope... Yes there is a vivid art scene there.

[quote=OyCrumbler;16959133]
Williamsburg, Bushwick, Greenpoint, and LIC in Queens are a good block for the art scene right now, so that makes sense.

However, you've got to be pretty foolish to not know that Hoboken has had a scene for a while now. Night's been falling on Hoboken since the mid 80s, and it's been spreading to other urban bits of Hudson County.

[quote=OyCrumbler;16959133]
You got to be pretty foolish to compare Hoboken's art scene to that of Williamsburg. Did you just try to to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's cute to watch you try so hard, I just want to roll you up in pancakes.
Nice, nice. I appreciate the effort.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:36 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I'm with you on that. Except I've heard stuff exactly or like this from Manhattanites who have been here for several generations. Even the younger ones, who you'd think would know better, still have an aversion to the outer boroughs.

I don't agree with what's being said, but it's a good illustration of how much of an ass people who have an incredible amount of pride in being from someplace (though show nothing personally remarkable) are. You can always be out-excluded, and it's annoying to everyone.

See, I'm arguing by the same token with what all of you are saying because most of these arguments are arbitrarily limited and incredibly stupid. It's just as truthful to say that if it wasn't for New Jersey next door, NYC wouldn't be nearly the power that it is as NYC relies on Jersey to feed its coffers and provide much of its workforce, port shipments, general space, back office services and operations, air travel and shipments, etc. and nearing half of the metro's gross metropolitan product.
So what are you saying here? NYC is powerful because of NJ? Can you elaborate more on what is bolded?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
So what are you saying here? NYC is powerful because of NJ? Can you elaborate more on what is bolded?
I think he's saying they work together as a metro.
NJ wouldn't be nearly as wealthy without NYC - NYC wouldn't be as significant without NJ.

What many NYers don't think about is the history of the industry in Newark/Paterson/Trenton that controlled much of, not only NYC's, but the growing Northeast American financial growth. Of course, due to the economic downturn on industrial cities across the nation- Many don't give a crap about what they contributed to this nation.

The port authority of NY/NJ (which the WTC was owned under) is one of the biggest industries in the city (sharing airports, shipping ports, public transportation, etc between NY/NJ)
The Shipping ports in Newark-Elizabeth is the most vital port in the North East (which is also the most vital port for NYC, hence it being owned by the PA-of-NYNJ)

Nearly 1/4th of Manhattan's out of borough workforce comes from Jersey.

Last edited by BPerone201; 12-10-2010 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 03:08 PM

301 posts, read 639,983 times
Its simple to understand the relationship between NJ/NY/CT. NY is the greatest city in the world, imo; NJ/CT are the greatest 'burbs in the world. We are family and sometimes fight at the dinner table but you cant separate NY from CT and NJ, the finest 'burbs in the nation are in NJ and CT. I lived my life in Queens until last year when I moved out to the 'burbs in CT in Fairfield County. Stop the infighting

And jobber, you have 112 posts in this thread out of your 151 total. Posses a little envy, NJ on your mind?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 PM

152 posts, read 250,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Blasphamany View Post
Its simple to understand the relationship between NJ/NY/CT. NY is the greatest city in the world, imo; NJ/CT are the greatest 'burbs in the world. We are family and sometimes fight at the dinner table but you cant separate NY from CT and NJ, the finest 'burbs in the nation are in NJ and CT. I lived my life in Queens until last year when I moved out to the 'burbs in CT in Fairfield County. Stop the infighting

And jobber, you have 112 posts in this thread out of your 151 total. Posses a little envy, NJ on your mind?
Sure. Envy. Sure.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 29,576 times
Why would a sixth borough of New York City extend outside of the State of New York? It makes absolutely no sense. Hudson County is close to NYC, but it is not part of New York State meaning it cannot be part of the City of New York. New York City consists of 5 Boroughs and is part of New York State. That's it. There will never be a sixth borough and the chances of that sixth borough extending over state lines is slim.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:06 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
Hudson County NJ definitely should take the cake. It would fit into the rest of NYC very well, culturally speaking.

But of course, as BattleHymn stated, it would probably violate national laws for a city government to expand into multiple states.

But they would have to get rid of those nasty putrid-smelling smoke stacks along the skyway if they were to join our great state: We have standards ya know!!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
"prestigious 6th Borough title???" YIKES!!!

Coming from a former Brooklynite, I think I'd rather pass on that "prestige"
*barf* gross...

Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,438 times
Just make it Nassau and call it a day and leave the other cities (Philly, Cleveland, ATL, DC, etc...) alone... They don't want to be a "6th borough..."

How obnoxious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City