Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:22 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,370,468 times

Advertisements

Dallas was George W. Bush’s first choice for a retirement destination but it gets low approval ratings elsewhere. A recent poll of readers of American Style magazine rated Dallas only 24th out of 25 large American cities as an arts destination. It came in immediately behind those well-known cultural magnets Milwaukee and Las Vegas, and ahead of only Jacksonville FL, even though it dwarfs all three places in terms of population, arts institutions and urban amenities. An apparently typical assessment residing in the blogosphere states flatly “God I hate Dallas. Everything about it. Especially the airport. Which is the only part of Dallas I’ve ever been in.”

Could the Dallas Way be the Right Way? | Newgeography.com

Maybe I should go to one of these Texas cities, it's so expensive here in NYC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HReborn View Post
Dallas was George W. Bush’s first choice for a retirement destination but it gets low approval ratings elsewhere. A recent poll of readers of American Style magazine rated Dallas only 24th out of 25 large American cities as an arts destination. It came in immediately behind those well-known cultural magnets Milwaukee and Las Vegas, and ahead of only Jacksonville FL, even though it dwarfs all three places in terms of population, arts institutions and urban amenities. An apparently typical assessment residing in the blogosphere states flatly “God I hate Dallas. Everything about it. Especially the airport. Which is the only part of Dallas I’ve ever been in.”

Could the Dallas Way be the Right Way? | Newgeography.com

Maybe I should go to one of these Texas cities, it's so expensive here in NYC...
I love living in Texas, but I would not be swayed by Bush's choices if I were you. He isn't that bright and has made some very questionable choices

My Favorite part of the article:

Quote:
The creative class thesis suggests that, like high school, there is cool and there is un-cool. This gets complicated when the nerds decide the cool places are. Cities that are designated as cool, like Portland, also tend to be among the least ethnically diverse.
I would say the same thing about Austin. It is the "cool' city of Texas, but the lack of diversity there throws it off for me.

Last edited by HtownLove; 12-04-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-04-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I love living in Texas, but I would not be swayed by Bush's choices if I were you. He isn't that bright and has made some very questionable choices
Indeed
I don't care about politics, just make money.I love my NYC, but it's become too expensive

Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Indeed
I don't care about politics, just make money.I love my NYC, but it's become too expensive
The area Bush moved to is probably just as Expensive.

he moved to a place called Preston Hollow where the residents are filthy rich.

There are homes there going for 40Million

Old 12-04-2010, 09:58 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,871 times
New Geography has a hard-on for sunbelt/car-centric cities. I don't know why people keep submitting articles from there.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
New Geography has a hard-on for sunbelt/car-centric cities. I don't know why people keep submitting articles from there.
These cities create more jobs and are affordable, it's the most important.
The yuppies mentality, not my thing..Many people think the same.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I agree, Houston has a world class arts scene, and it is ranked by that magazine much lower than places that doesn't come close to comparing.

Houston Theater District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The district, with 12,948 seats for live performances and 1,580 movie seats, ranks second in the United States for the number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area and is one of only five cities with permanent professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines (the Houston Grand Opera, the Houston Symphony Orchestra, the Houston Ballet, and The Alley Theatre).
Quote:
More than two million people visit the Houston Theater District annually.
The Houston Grand Opera is the only opera company in the U.S. to win a Grammy, a Tony, and an Emmy.
Houston Museum District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The Houston Museum District currently comprises 18 museums that recorded a collective attendance of over 8.7 million in 2007
Quote:
The museum is one of the most popular in the United States and ranks second only to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City in attendance amongst non-Smithsonian museums. Much of the museum's popularity is attributed to its large number of special or guest exhibits.
Quote:
The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, is the largest art museum in America south
of Chicago, west of Washington, D.C., and east of Los Angeles.
There is no way I would Rank Albuquerque as number 5 arts destination in the US, and Phoenix as number 14, both ahead of Houston.

I would not site or quote New Geography at all

Old 12-05-2010, 11:29 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
My Favorite part of the article:

The creative class thesis suggests that, like high school, there is cool and there is un-cool. This gets complicated when the nerds decide the cool places are. Cities that are designated as cool, like Portland, also tend to be among the least ethnically diverse.

I would say the same thing about Austin. It is the "cool' city of Texas, but the lack of diversity there throws it off for me.
The other problem with these "cool" cities lists is that some of this is just unquantifiable, and many of these cities become overhyped (IMO) poser-magnets after enough of these lists.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Look at this :

Special Section: Houston (http://magazine.continental.com/201011-ss-houston - broken link)

Houston, this "uncool" city, is a cultural capital

Old 12-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Look at this :

Special Section: Houston (http://magazine.continental.com/201011-ss-houston - broken link)

Houston, this "uncool" city, is a cultural capital
awesome article man

I learned a couple of things

+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City