Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CITY VS CITY
Chicago 115 43.07%
New York 152 56.93%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:23 AM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
No, Chicago has no worldwide relevance in finance.
Again, another irrational Chicago homer with limited reading comprehension skills.

Boys and Girls, if a city isn't a top-tier financial center, does it mean it has NO relevance whatsoever?

The answer, if you aren't a crazed homer, is an explicit NO!

Obviously Chicago has a relevant and vital financial industry. But is it top-tier?

Do top finance MBAs go to Chicago, or do they go to Wall Street and The City?

Are hedge funds in Manhattan, Greenwich, and London, or are they in Chicago?

Is PE in the Bay Area and NYC, or is it in Chicago?

Chicago just isn't a top-tier financial center, and no mindless boosterism will change this.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Again, another irrational Chicago homer with limited reading comprehension skills.

Boys and Girls, if a city isn't a top-tier financial center, does it mean it has NO relevance whatsoever?

Obviously Chicago has a relevant and vital financial industry. But is it top-tier?

Chicago just isn't a top-tier financial center, and no mindless boosterism will change this.
Why are you so threatened by Chicago? Just sayin' . . .

Old 12-24-2010, 11:31 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Another thing, the John Hughes teen angst movies filmed in Chicago are among my favorites, of that genre.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:09 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
No, they are NOT financial experts. They are simply a website!

And who cares who I am? I am not the one claiming Boston is a global financial center. Real financial experts are claiming this!

Again, using your logic, there is no possible way Chicago is a global financial center if Boston isn't. I cited FINANCIAL EXPERTS who said it is.

Uh, you seem to have trouble following the thread discussion.

I NEVER said Boston is "ahead of Chicago". I said Boston is on the same financial tier as Chicago.

And, unlike yourself, I found FINANCIAL EXPERTS who called Boston a global financial center. Why are these same FINANCIAL EXPERTS not citing Chicago?

You seem so concerned with so-called FINANCIAL EXPERTS, but conveniently disregard their expertise when it comes to Boston and other cities.
You quoted Boston business leaders, in a story for the Boston globe. Making very salient points, but focused on one city's economy.

Grapico (who I derived the information from) quoted multinational corporations such as Mastercard, as well as commercial/financial thinktanks like the City of London based Z/Yen group, which developed the London Accord and Global Financial Centres Index. They don't have a Chicago bias.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:11 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:

Read.
Quote:
Chicago retains its position in the GFCI 8 top ten and remains the second North American financial centre, after New York. Chicago is not just strong in derivatives trading, for which it is probably best known, but is a real ‘all-rounder’featuring in the top ten in the Asset Management, Banking, Insurance, Professional Services and Government & Regulatory subindices

Old 12-26-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
You quoted Boston business leaders, in a story for the Boston globe. Making very salient points, but focused on one city's economy..
In other words, I found a website that had financial experts confirm that Boston was a world-class financial center. They said nothing about Chicago.

So if Chicago is a world class financial center because you found someone making this claim online, then obviously Boston is a world class financial center, because there are financial experts making this exact claim online.
Quote:
Grapico (who I derived the information from) quoted multinational corporations such as Mastercard, as well as commercial/financial thinktanks like the City of London based Z/Yen group, which developed the London Accord and Global Financial Centres Index. They don't have a Chicago bias.
LOL, you are simply making stuff up!

There was only one website cited that had anything to do with financial markets.

The rest were all business-related, and you posted those to confuse the situation. Obviously a ranking of world-class business centers has nothing to do with world-class financial centers.

And the one posted financial ranking was from Z/Yen group, which is just a private consulting group in London. Their mission has NOTHING to do with rating financial centers.

Their opinion is no greater than yours or mine. They most certainly can't be considered financial experts or authorities on anything in regards to finance.

And Chicago homes never even looked at the rankings! The rankings explicitly say that Z/Yen is NOT ranking the top financial centers. They're ranking the MOST COMPETITIVE financial centers on a relative basis, which is completely different, and ranks relative real-time success.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Why are you so threatened by Chicago? Just sayin' . . .
Why are you so argumentative when folks post documented facts about Chicago? Just asking!

Old 12-26-2010, 02:46 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,417 times
Quote:
In other words, I found a website that had financial experts confirm that Boston was a world-class financial center. They said nothing about Chicago.

So if Chicago is a world class financial center because you found someone making this claim online, then obviously Boston is a world class financial center, because there are financial experts making this exact claim online.

LOL, you are simply making stuff up!

There was only one website cited that had anything to do with financial markets.

The rest were all business-related, and you posted those to confuse the situation. Obviously a ranking of world-class business centers has nothing to do with world-class financial centers.

And the one posted financial ranking was from Z/Yen group, which is just a private consulting group in London. Their mission has NOTHING to do with rating financial centers.

Their opinion is no greater than yours or mine. They most certainly can't be considered financial experts or authorities on anything in regards to finance.

And Chicago homes never even looked at the rankings! The rankings explicitly say that Z/Yen is NOT ranking the top financial centers. They're ranking the MOST COMPETITIVE financial centers on a relative basis, which is completely different, and ranks relative real-time success.
Just so we're all clear.

You think that the hundreds, even thousands, of people who spend countless hours analyzing data say: "Hey, we all know Chicago really isn't a major financial hub, but lets throw it on there for kicks! We'll trick the entirety of the world, who will believe us as Professionals...except Dementor of course...he's a genius."

Think it's time for a new user name darling...Ohio248 is synonymous with troll.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Just so we're all clear.

You think that the hundreds, even thousands, of people who spend countless hours analyzing data say: "Hey, we all know Chicago really isn't a major financial hub, but lets throw it on there for kicks! We'll trick the entirety of the world, who will believe us as Professionals...except Dementor of course...he's a genius."
Wow, you're really getting desperate! What rubbish!

The London consulting firm you're so enamored with has TONS of lists on their website! These lists are obviously just fun and random rankings.

What makes you think that there are thousands of people franticly working on each of these rankings? These rankings have NOTHING to do with their company work; and the company doesn't even have more than a few dozen workers! Where are these alleged thousands of workers?

Maybe they have MILLIONS of workers! Maybe BILLIONS! All working dilligently to produce dozens of fun lists for their website! I'm sure I'm even underestimating their diligence! The entire Milky Way galaxy is now busily engaged updated their website!

Next up- Top 10 cupcakes on earth! News at 11!

And what about the FINANCIAL EXPERTS who said Boston is a world class financial center and said nothing about Chicago? I guess they don't have BILLIONS of worker bees updating their website?

I guess obscure consulting firms with a handful of workers have much more gravitas than multiple PhDs from Harvard and MIT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Think it's time for a new user name darling...Ohio248 is synonymous with troll.
LOL, funny that the only folks calling some of us trolls are two or three Chicago homers! And when do they call us trolls? When we post government-based data! Oops! Obviously the U.S. government is just a bunch of mean trolls who hate Chicago!

First you called me a troll when I (and others) were crazy enough to challenge your lies about Chicago's population with Census facts. Obviously the Census hates Chicago, right?

Then you called us trolls when we were crazy enough to post Chicago's massive job losses. Obviously Obama's official job numbers are evil lies, right?

Now some Chicago forumers are making wacky claims about Chicago having world class finance, despite not having any banks! Gee, maybe we can find a world-class manufacturing city without any factories! Maybe world class skiing without snow, or swimming without water!

Usually when one or two people are wildly screaming TROLL to everyone, you know they are the ones who are just wasting everyone's time with useless trolling crap.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:36 PM

Ok, we know that PhDs and financial experts think Boston is a world class financial center and that Chicago isn't.

We know, however, that an obscure consulting firm in the UK disagrees.

What does America's top news magazine think? They think Charlotte is the #2 financial center in the U.S!

"But there's no longer anything trifling about Charlotte. With $2 trillion in assets being managed from the glossy bank towers of Tryon Street, the city is now the nation's No. 2 financial center behind New York City."

North Carolina's Financial Center is Riding High - TIME

Gee, now watch a few Chicago forumers call Time Magazine "a bunch of trolls"! Obviously the Time Magazine author is named Demandor and irrationally hates Chicago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City