Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CITY VS CITY
Chicago 115 43.07%
New York 152 56.93%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times

Advertisements

New York vs. Chicago is like the Yankees vs. the Cubs.

Or the Atlantic Ocean vs. Lake Michigan.

Just no contest.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
New York, of course. Its my favorite city in the world for a reason but Chicago is a great city too

Old 02-02-2012, 08:21 PM

306 posts, read 479,739 times
Having lived all over Chicagoland and visited New York City, here is my take. I have never heard anyone compare Chicago to New York except for pizza style and skyline. That is really it. My girlfriends and I visit New York City every year and have a blast. It is an amazing city, with so much history, culture, shopping, entertainment.
Would I ever want to live there? Nope, Chicago and now(Chicagoland) is better for me. I love the lake, the parks along(esp Lincoln Park, LP Zoo), the wide boulevards, the food!!! I thank Mr. Daly for the cleanliness of our great city. Having traveled all over the world, Chicago is on tops for cleanest downtown or city centre's you will find.
So again, I did not vote in the poll because never thought of them competing. So from a Chicagoan perspectivde, New York is an amazing place, our country's most popular city, a must see place for anyone to see, head of media, fashion, finance.
With the good comes extremely high rental prices(esp Manhattan) where to 99% of the population it is unlivable. Now maybe I have some years on many on here, but New York was not always new York of today and Mayor Bloomberg and esp Guilini had a lot to do with what a great city it has become.
New York you are great, Chicago you are home.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
here is a hint... nobody from new york or chicago really cares about the other city. they are what they are. only this internet forum thinks there is some massive serious debate regarding GDP, density and urbanity in the real world between the two cities. there is not. these are two world class cities that america is lucky to have. give it a fu*kin rest kids, you're souring the gene pool.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
here is a hint... nobody from new york or chicago really cares about the other city. they are what they are. only this internet forum thinks there is some massive serious debate regarding GDP, density and urbanity in the real world between the two cities. there is not. these are two world class cities that america is lucky to have. give it a fu*kin rest kids, you're souring the gene pool.
Right, I've been here 10 years and all I ever hear is either "oh, you're going to NYC, awesome, I LOVE NYC", or "I don't know, I just don't like NYC, never have. Not my type of place".

That's what you could hear about ANY city in the country. I laugh when people not from NYC or Chicago think there's some rivalry or competition on anything other than sports. Other than being dense with large skylines, they're WORLDS apart on a personal level. Chicago is Chicago, NYC is NYC.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Right, I've been here 10 years and all I ever hear is either "oh, you're going to NYC, awesome, I LOVE NYC", or "I don't know, I just don't like NYC, never have. Not my type of place".

That's what you could hear about ANY city in the country. I laugh when people not from NYC or Chicago think there's some rivalry or competition on anything other than sports. Other than being dense with large skylines, they're WORLDS apart on a personal level. Chicago is Chicago, NYC is NYC.
I think it's a CD-specific delusion that people in Chicago suffer from some kind of penis envy towards NY. I am guessing that for every person in Chicago who would rather be in NY (if given the choice) there are 5 or 10 who are more than happy to live in a city like Chicago, a world class city in its own right, for half the price. Every single person I know who has ever lived in Chicago thinks the world of that place.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I think it's a CD-specific delusion that people in Chicago suffer from some kind of penis envy towards NY. I am guessing that for every person in Chicago who would rather be in NY (if given the choice) there are 5 or 10 who are more than happy to live in a city like Chicago, a world class city in its own right, for half the price. Every single person I know who has ever lived in Chicago thinks the world of that place.
Yeah, most people I know in either Chicago or New York moved there as transplants. They moved to Chicago because they loved Chicago and wanted to move to Chicago. They moved to NYC because they love NYC and wanted to move there.

No one was like "yeah, all I ever wanted was to move to NYC, so I picked up my things and moved to Chicago". They're two totally differnet places. Chicago isn't a second choice cause you can't cut it in NYC. If you can't cut it in NYC, there are plenty of other places people would go. Places with more job opportunities, warmer places, etc.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
I don't think anybody in either city cares about which is better.

We all have money to make and lives to live.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:24 AM

269 posts, read 416,269 times
NYer voting NY, and I LOVE Chicago.

Honestly, it depends on the day.

They are both similar in ways, but also very different, and thats the great thing.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
this has been done so many times.

its been proven that chicago cant be compared to new york in any area its just a joke.

ive been to chicago, its like a large town, not really a city.

thread should be closed.
So basically then NYC is the only city in the USA? huh.. I agree NYC dominates it but The Chi is a city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City