Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CITY VS CITY
Chicago 115 43.07%
New York 152 56.93%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM

248 posts, read 288,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist;[URL="tel:23511495"
23511495 (tel:23511495 - broken link)[/url]]

Depends on what you're comparing but categories like food, architecture, people, music etc can be subjective to the eye of the beholder. There are some people who live in Chicago who probably think they live in the greatest city in the world but people like you couldn't accept that because it makes you feel inferior.
There are people living in Rockford IL who believe this is the best place in the world but what does it prove? Instead of discussing taste lets honestly look at cultural scenes in both Chicago in New York and how influential they are. Give me some example fo Chicagos cultural significance. C'mon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist;[color=violet
23511495[/color] (tel:23511495 - broken link)]
If know know anything about music a lot of today's music evolved from the roots of older genres like disco, rock, blues, jazz, classical, "House", techno, etc. All music of today can be trace back to some of these roots. Genres had to evolve from other styles. tristann is once again clueless.
LOL You can even trace it all back to Johann Sebastian but what is your point?
When talking about the art scene of Chicago I mean TODAY and I claim there are virtually no renowned recording artists living in this city, or artist in general. Chicago is almost sterile. If you believe otherwise just provide some arguments... Give me some names. I haven't seen anything so far.
Quote:
Also what makes you the authority on other people's musical genre tastes. FYI, there are tons of people who go to dance clubs around the world. It goes to show you are narrow minded about certain types of genres. I probably have more diversed musical tastes than you do.
Probably. House is crap. Besides DJ's most people would be hard pressed to name one house band or artist. Too many one hit wonders in that business.
Quote:
I'll repeat it again since my earlier point went over your head. Not everyone are into film festivals just as some would care less about sports. There are other cultural aspects that make a city great. Film festivals don't do it for everyone.
Maybe not everybody is into film festivals and movies but having a renowned and respected international film festival puts Toronto on the cultural map of the world. Now, what event puts Chicago on the cultural map of the world? C'mon. I am listening... Dont be shy... LOL

Last edited by tristann; 03-22-2012 at 12:14 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian;[URL="tel:23513919"
23513919 (tel:23513919 - broken link)[/url]]Of course NYC has more depth. It's the number 1 city in the world (or co-number 1) with 3+ times the population of Chicago! The point is that the best of Chicago compares pretty respectably against the best of NY across a pretty wide range of categories. Which is simply to say that Chicago is a great city in its own right that only an idiot would dismiss.
That's pretty childish argument. I really don't think Chicago is such a great city. I think that for a city this size and that skyline Chicago is pretty boring. Cities like SF, LA, DC, Toronto, Montreal or even Austin are much more happening in terms of culture and art.. Other than being the third largest city in the US and having very impressive skyline there is not much good I could say about Chicago. Based on my multiple experiences Chicago is pretty parochial, not so slick, sophisticated or open minded and on top of that culturally stagnant.
Nothing on a global scale besides it's commodity trading business and huge GDP.
For me lack of culture it is a deal breaker. I live in the city to have access to culture.

Last edited by tristann; 03-22-2012 at 12:05 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085;[URL="tel:23513990"
23513990 (tel:23513990 - broken link)[/url]]

Chicago to me kind of takes the best parts of NYC and puts it into one city. An affordable one.
Ha, ha. The best of New York into one city. Nice. How about Chicago crime? Is it also the best New York can offer even it three times higher?

Last edited by tristann; 03-22-2012 at 12:15 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 PM

451 posts, read 694,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
There are people living in Rockford IL who believe this is the best place in the world but what does it prove? Instead of discussing taste lets honestly look at cultural scenes in both Chicago in New York and how influential they are. Give me some example fo Chicagos cultural significance. C'mon....

LOL You can even trace it all back to Johann Sebastian but what is your point?
When talking about the art scene of Chicago I mean TODAY and I claim there are virtually no renowned recording artists living in this city, no film directors or movie stars. Chicago is almost sterile. If you think otherwise provide some arguments... Give me some names. You haven't so far.

Probably. House is crap. Besides DJ's most people would be hard pressed to name one house band or artist. Too many one hit wonders in that business.

Maybe not everybody is into film festivals and movies but having a renowned and respected international film festival puts Toronto on the cultural map of the world. Now, what event puts Chicago on the cultural map of the world? C'mon. I am listening... Dont be shy... LOL

Stop with the LOLs, we arent 13. Wait... eh, maybe some of us are.

Chicago has a ton of diversity in its own right. What is your incessant need to keep bashing that city? What did it do to you? Are you a bitter Knick fan? I dont get it.

There are plenty of ethnicities Chicago actually has more of than NYC. Poles, Bulgarians, Germans, Greeks, Czechs, Serbs, Bosnians, Mexicans, Palestinians, Jordanians and Swedes, etc.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085;[URL="tel:23514392"
23514392 (tel:23514392 - broken link)[/url]]
You know how the metro is. I used to live in Somerset, NJ too. Technically Trenton was still the NY metro cause of the NJT commuter base, but its entirely more Philly.

NYC is still growing, but modest at best. Census figures show it added about 170k (2.1%), which is good, but still far behind a ton of other cities in the country both in numbers and %.
Ha ha. Modest. LOL. New York City has 27,000 per square mile - Chicago 11,000 pers square mile. At NYC density any growth is a success. I am surprised it still does although have no idea how.... LOL

Last edited by tristann; 03-22-2012 at 12:16 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I'll repeat it again since my earlier point went over your head. Not everyone are into film festivals just as some would care less about sports. There are other cultural aspects that make a city great. Film festivals don't do it for everyone.
He doesnt understand this.

He thinks everyone likes what NYC has as far as museums, orchestras, broadway, etc.

Not everyone is into that.

Some people like mountains, and live in outdoor cities like Denver. Something NYC just cant compare to, etc.

Its all subjective. He clearly does not understand that.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085;[URL="tel:[color=violet
23514465[/color] (tel:23514465 - broken link)"]23514465 (tel:23514465 - broken link)[/url]]Stop with the LOLs, we arent 13. Wait... eh, maybe some of us are.
I am glad you admitted it. I will when you stop posting nonsense that makes me laugh. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085;[URL="tel:23514465"
23514465 (tel:23514465 - broken link)[/url]]
Chicago has a ton of diversity in its own right. What is your incessant need to keep bashing that city? What did it do to you? Are you a bitter Knick fan? I dont get it.
Excuse? Who was talking about diversity here? We were talking about culture and art scene in Chicago and despite the fact that you guys quickly pronounced Chicago as a cultural powerhouse so far nobody could post anything relevant to prove Chicago actually has an art scene or is culturally influential. Instead of changing the subject to diversity why don't you prove me wrong? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085;[URL="tel:23514465"
23514465 (tel:23514465 - broken link)[/url]]
There are plenty of ethnicities Chicago actually has more of than NYC. Poles, Bulgarians, Germans, Greeks, Czechs, Serbs, Bosnians, Mexicans, Palestinians, Jordanians and Swedes, etc.
Really? Do you believe there are more Poles in Chicago than in New York? Wrong. The only thing that Chicago has really more is crime.
Check you sources. Do you think Chicago is more diverse than New York? LOL

That's really like discussion with 5 years olds: first they post some absurd data they forgot to verify and then are surprised they are being laughed at.

Last edited by tristann; 03-22-2012 at 12:19 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085;[URL="tel:23514518"
23514518 (tel:23514518 - broken link)[/url]]He doesnt understand this.

He thinks everyone likes what NYC has as far as museums, orchestras, broadway, etc.

Not everyone is into that.
Not everyone is into culture? I know. Sad but true. What is your point with respect to discussing of NYC vs Chicago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085;[color=violet
23514518[/color] (tel:23514518 - broken link)]
Some people like mountains, and live in outdoor cities like Denver. Something NYC just cant compare to, etc.
It's true but what does it have to do with Chicago? Is Chicago and outdoor city like Denver.

Your art of discussion never ceases to amaze me. What does Denver have to do with anything we discuss here?

Last edited by tristann; 03-22-2012 at 12:22 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Ha ha. Modest. LOL. New York City has 27,000 per square mile. I am surprised it is still able to grow... Modest. LOL

Will you shut the **** up already?

When you consider NYC grew at nearly 10% rate from 90-00, yes, 2.1% is an extremely modest growth rate.

Do you realize how many other cities around the country that have a much much higher growth %?

Raleigh grew at 46.3%, the fastest rate in the country. Its nearly doubled in size. I guess by your logic its even superior to NYC and Chicago.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Stop with the LOLs, we arent 13. Wait... eh, maybe some of us are.

I will when you stop posting nonsense that makes me laugh. LOL

Who is talking about diversity here? We were talking about culture and art scene in Chicago and despite the fact that you guys quickly pronounced Chicago as a cultural powerhouse so far nobody could post anything relevant to prove Chicago actually has and art scene or is culturally influential. Still waiting.

Really? Do you believe there are more Poles in Chicago than in New York? Wrong.
Check you data. Do you think Chicago is more diverse than New York? LOL

That's really like discussion with 5 years olds: first they post some absurd data they forgot to verify and then are surprised they are being laughed at.
Yes, culture, diversity, hand in hand.

What the **** else would you be referring to?

I never actually said anything, im just playing Devils Advocate. Basically refuting whatever bogus claims youre making.

Also, do you know how to use the quote button correctly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City