Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there any legitimately and wholly terrible cities??
No 24 21.62%
Gary 11 9.91%
East St. Louis 18 16.22%
Flint 8 7.21%
Camden 13 11.71%
Other 8 7.21%
Atlanta (sorry, but i havent taken a shot at the ATL lately) 29 26.13%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:01 AM

215 posts, read 383,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
Almost anywhere in Upstate New York and the Rust Belt. Horrible, Ugly, Depressing towns like Buffalo and Rochester. If that 585 in your username is your area code, how could anyone from such a bland, dirty place like Rochester have problem with ATL?
Oh please Here is a picture taken from downtown Buffalo yesterday. Sooooooooooo "depressing".

http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article274557.ece/BINARY/w620/skating+01.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,420,491 times
No. A city is just too large of a region to consider entirely good or bad. There are safe and unsafe neighborhoods, and in those neighborhoods, honest people and criminals, etc. But any city has good parts and bad parts, but that doesn't make the entire city good or bad.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,690,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
Oh please Here is a picture taken from downtown Buffalo yesterday. Sooooooooooo "depressing".

Are you the elf?????

Old 12-05-2010, 08:25 AM

970 posts, read 2,957,928 times
Well, I'm going to talk about a city that's not on your poll. Detroit, Michigan. I live on Detroit's east side.

When most people think about 'Detroit', this is what pops into their heads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WKMNmFsxM

But, there's another side to Detroit

Detroit, MI - Google Maps

Detroit, MI - Google Maps (My subdivision)

Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,720,793 times
No - there is not wholly terrible place anywhere

A city that never gets any love Camden

Dave Matthews Band Concert in Camden

Camden Riversharks minot league baseball team

Possibly the most important Battleship in recent US history -Battleship NJ

New Jersey State Aquarium in Camden - quite good actually

Rutgers Univ Camden

Anyone ever heard of Campbells Soup or RCA and nipper and the victrola

Camden definately has some great history and things to be proud of today, unfortunately much of the city has hit rough times

Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,794,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You're a real idiot.....you know every toll from NC is going to vote Atlanta...
What is it with you and NC? People from NC don't hate Atlanta; if anything, it's the urban purists from the Northeast and Midwest that have such disdain for Atlanta. I swear, you need to be exposed to more things in the world. You have tunnel vision to the point of being just utterly ridiculous and in the process, you only make yourself look bad. You certainly aren't stopping anyone from moving to or enjoying NC, that's for sure.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:29 PM

11,999 posts, read 12,861,409 times
Camden has been seeing development along the waterfront. I hope that this will continue as Camden has a great location, right across the bridge from Philly.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,721,923 times
Cairo Illinois i don't think has any redeeming qualities about it. Sad to say.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM

902 posts, read 2,777,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In Flint, it's Southside, I believe is still pretty nice and well maintained. It's Northside has the notorious rep. Camden's Riverfront has improved a lot, supposedly. In East St. Louis, I believe there are some decent outer city neighborhoods closer to Washington Park.
Flint's Southside used to be the worst part of the city, although nowadays this is not true. Crime is certainly worse today in the North and East sections of the city but it is still bad in the immediate southside. Some of the worst urban decay and blight in the city can be found on the Southside (at least in my experience with the city of Flint, having lived there on and off throughout my childhood and into my early adult years).

Old 12-05-2010, 06:31 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,684,387 times
No such thing as a terrible city. Just terrible people who base an opinion on limited experiences, rumors, and lack they receive by drawing negative attention to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City