U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city has the best skyline?
Atlanta 31 4.45%
Dallas 34 4.88%
Houston 37 5.31%
Miami 26 3.73%
New York 214 30.70%
Boston 11 1.58%
Philadelphia 31 4.45%
Pittsburgh 23 3.30%
Chicago 206 29.56%
San Francisco 27 3.87%
Los Angeles 24 3.44%
Seattle 33 4.73%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM

5,693 posts, read 5,074,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
SD.Calif, why are you a big defender of Philadelphia since you're from San Diego? Don't you like your own skyline. I think it's pretty and is on the waterfront. I like yours more than Philly since it has more highrises than Philly's.

Here we go again. And San diego has more highrises then Philly???
Your a typical abesentminded nimrod, no respect for old architecture.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Yes, tie, yes, no, no, no

Library Tower>Comcast.

It is not all about height! skylines are supposed to offer much more than height. They are supposed to show the character of a city and the stories behind it. Just by comparing La to boston or philly you can see the great history behind boston and philadelphia, there is such a mix, these 2 cities are architectural marvels!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Libohov90, Dt. LA has more highrises and is denser than Philly's Center City with lots of old towers. I've been to both cities. I like LA's skyline and it's kind of like a jewel. When you see commercial and movies, you see Dt LA skyline, not Philly's.

There are movies produced in other cities than LA, and LA is not denser than Philly

Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Cpomp, haven't you been to Dt. LA? Downtown LA is filled with old towers around Broadway, Hill, Spring and Grand. I stand by my facts. I've been to both downtown recently. You'll see that even Atlanta, Houston and Denver have more impressive skyline and are more prominent. On the contrary, I like Philly but not it rants as being the best downtown around. I had to set the record straight. I'm getting out of Philly's threads/forum for now. I hope the Philaphians are more realistic and humble, not thinking way off base as being the #1 or #3 best. That's silly. I'm a realist. Keep it real, please.

OK i love how your saying were not being humble. and if your really going to sit there and say that LA is comparible to Philly or any east coast city as far as old architecture goes, then please leave this forum and all forums that dont have to do with your beloved west coast because you will be of absolutely no help.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,845,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Modest is not accurate; Chicago is the second largest by a good margin in the US; but NYC is probably more massive in comparison to Chicago than Chicago would be to the next largest. NYC is huge even compared to Chicago. But for me I think Chicago is still my personal favorite even if not as large. I guess it is large enough...

I agree. NY has so many that its hard to pick out individual buildings except for maybe the ESB. Chicago has a great length, density and iconic supertalls. Its debatable after these two, but not before.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious PHILLY View Post
LMAO!

Have you ever seen other skylines? Philly a top 5 your kidding me then Boise is top 10. Philly is a crime ridden warzone with a small skyline...serves the cesspool right

Boise to Philadelphia is like comparing. Rhode Island to the United States. And its not a crime ridden warzone cesspool.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 PM

8,509 posts, read 8,845,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
It is not all about height! skylines are supposed to offer much more than height. They are supposed to show the character of a city and the stories behind it. Just by comparing La to boston or philly you can see the great history behind boston and philadelphia, there is such a mix, these 2 cities are architectural marvels!
You dont see that in a skyline, especially Philly.
If you were refering to comcast/library tower, that wasnt a height reference it was architecture. I agree in reference to cities and their downtowns being more than 'skyline', but thats not what this thread is about.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,533,767 times
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ne082904-1.jpg
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...n_Phili_1c.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-04-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,113,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
You can also ask the "people of America" (not just people on this forum or random websites) which skyline is better, Chicago's or New York's?
Back to modest skylines --

Modest compared to NYC's skyline, yes. And I will say it again. In my opinion, Chicago's skyline is not all that impressive compared to NYC's. Which was the point of my post.
You may prefer Chicagos's because you like its harbor (So you do have your own personal scientific criteria for preference. Preferences do not just magically come out of a vaccuum) but a waterfront doesn't make a skyline any bigger, its canyons more daunting, the towers more looming, magically improve the architecture, or make it less modest. I personally value the former criteria more in a skyline than how the waterfront looks. But that's just me. To each their own.

I agree that Chicago is not modest compared to all the other skylines in the US but, compared to NYC's, yes it is modest. It is all a matter of scale.

That said, NYC's is just on another level over Chicago's. Just like Chicago's is on a different level compared to #3.

The difference between NYC and Chicago (and everyone else in the US) will be off the charts once the new WTC is complete.
And then it would be reason to redo this poll to see what I mean. Then you can ask the "people of America" that same question again.
I think you'll find that a lot of people don't agree with your viewpoint and that you'll be frustrated that nobody understands why NYC is so much better than Chicago.....because unlike you, sheer size alone is not the only factor that makes a downtown great. Chicago's architecture is amazing, just like NYC. It's super tall, just like NYC. And the WTC is not going to be the icing on the cake like anything super tall in Chicago can, because of New York's sheer size. Plus, I'm on the bandwagon (that I created) of those who don't even like the look of the new WTC. I'm not a fan, personally. I'm also not a fan of the Chicago Spire......if that ever gets built.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:17 PM

275 posts, read 542,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I think you'll find that a lot of people don't agree with your viewpoint and that you'll be frustrated that nobody understands why NYC is so much better than Chicago.....because unlike you, sheer size alone is not the only factor that makes a downtown great. .
LOL. I knew someone was going to say this because you guys always make this assumption. Like I said in my posts. many people prefer NYC's skyline over Chicago's but the size thing is only part of the picture. I think NYC's skyline is bigger, right, but I think it also has the better, more iconic architecture and the ever-present canyons create an urban environment unparalleled in the US. That's NOT the same thing as saying that one prefers NYC's because of sheer size alone. And you and others like you will continue to be frustrated because you don't understand the distinction.

The reasons for preferring the Chicago skyline are the same ones... Buildings are spaced out enough to pick out, better architecture and variety (which I don't agree with). There's nothing not to understand I just don't agree with the reasons. But as I said earlier, to each their own. *shrugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or