U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city has the best skyline?
Atlanta 31 4.45%
Dallas 34 4.88%
Houston 37 5.31%
Miami 26 3.73%
New York 214 30.70%
Boston 11 1.58%
Philadelphia 31 4.45%
Pittsburgh 23 3.30%
Chicago 206 29.56%
San Francisco 27 3.87%
Los Angeles 24 3.44%
Seattle 33 4.73%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
LOL. I knew someone was going to say this because you guys always do. Like I said in my posts. Many people prefer NYC's skyline and it is not just about the size. I think NYC's skyline is bigger, but it also has the better architecture and the canyons create an urban environment unparalleled in the US. That's NOT the same thing as saying that one prefers NYC's because of sheer size alone. And you will continue to be frustrated because you don't understand the distinction.
But the canyon effect isn't a skyline

Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 PM

275 posts, read 543,584 times
^ No it is not, but it certainly helps. Much like some people prefer mountain backdrops, harbors, or bridges to go along with their skyline. None of these things are even buildings.
A world-class urban skyline worth it's salt should feel tall, looming, and ever-present in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,143,318 times
Quote:
LOL. I knew someone was going to say this because you guys always make this assumption. Like I said in my posts. many people prefer NYC's skyline over Chicago's but the size thing is only part of the picture. I think NYC's skyline is bigger, right, but I think it also has the better, more iconic architecture and the ever-present canyons create an urban environment unparalleled in the US. That's NOT the same thing as saying that one prefers NYC's because of sheer size alone. And you and others like you will continue to be frustrated because you don't understand the distinction.

The reasons for preferring the Chicago skyline are the same ones... Buildings are spaced out enough to pick out, better architecture and variety (which I don't agree with). There's nothing not to understand I just don't agree with the reasons. But as I said earlier, to each their own. *shrugs*
I'm not the one here with an invested interest in these two skylines...I'm emotionally detached. But like you said: to each their own. But to many, they pick Chicago for one reason or another, and it's not just because they are hating on New York. Chicago does skylines well, just accept it. New York will always be bigger and badder, but Chicago will always be nipping at your toes for a city half its size.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
^ No it is not, but it certainly helps. Much like some people prefer mountain backdrops, harbors, or bridges to go along with their skyline. None of these things are even buildings.
A world-class urban skyline worth it's salt should have canyons in my opinion.
VERY few "world class" skylines have that canyon effect, and if anything Chicago has that to more of an extent than most world cities. Name a few world cities that have a denser downtown skyline with canyons than Chicago. I can't think of ANY, personally. Hong Kong, Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai, London, Paris, Sau Paulo, Dubai............none of them are as packed together AND tall as Chicago and especially New York! If this is your criteria for a world class skyline it basically means no skyline in the world is world class except New York. You'll have to change your criteria a bit for an apples to apples comparison.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious PHILLY View Post
LMAO filthadelphians think their puny city skyline rivals Miami
Speaking of puny, you sound insecure.....

Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 PM

275 posts, read 543,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'm not the one here with an invested interest in these two skylines...I'm emotionally detached. But like you said: to each their own. But to many, they pick Chicago for one reason or another, and it's not just because they are hating on New York. Chicago does skylines well, just accept it. New York will always be bigger and badder, but Chicago will always be nipping at your toes for a city half its size.
I do think Chicago does skylines well, which is why it is #2 in the US.
I just don't think it is a close second at all like many others do.

Quote:
VERY few "world class" skylines have that canyon effect, and if anything Chicago has that to more of an extent than most world cities. Name a few world cities that have a denser downtown skyline with canyons than Chicago. I can't think of ANY, personally. Hong Kong..
Surprising. If there is any skyline in the world that can compete (or even surpass) NYC's, it is Hong Kong. Never been there but I am almost certain it has that canyon effect.

Quote:
If this is your criteria for a world class skyline it basically means no skyline in the world is world class except New York. You'll have to change your criteria a bit for an apples to apples comparison.
Can't help it. NYC. Born and raised. Can't settle for anything less...

Old 04-11-2011, 06:06 AM

5,728 posts, read 5,115,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You dont see that in a skyline, especially Philly.
If you were refering to comcast/library tower, that wasnt a height reference it was architecture. I agree in reference to cities and their downtowns being more than 'skyline', but thats not what this thread is about.

You dont see what? the history. take a walk in center city and you can see the dates posted on the sides of when many buildings were built and a great majority of them were constructed well before 1900.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM

299 posts, read 574,776 times
Seattle has a beautiful skyline. I have a view of it almost every day and it stands out as one of the most prestigious for a city its size. Seattle also doesn't have the brown pollution cloud that hovers over Los Angeles or Phoenix much of the time. I only wish the Space Needle was more in the heart of downtown.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 25,053 times
Chicago
New York
Philly

All these cities have breathtaking skylines

Some others up there

Pittsburgh
Seattle
LA (with the mountains)

Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,909,529 times
a106, NY skyline is a mess no with definition just like the city is a rat race joke. You move to a whiny and little city like Philly, which has smaller skyline and city with no pride but depression. You traded a city with speghetti skyline for a city with a mediocre one. Why defend this little fiesty city since you're from NY, since all the redneck New Yorkers put down Philly because they feel that they rule it. Heck, the haze really cover the bulk of the skylines there and make it look ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or