U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which U.S. city has the best skyline?
Atlanta 31 4.45%
Dallas 34 4.88%
Houston 37 5.31%
Miami 26 3.73%
New York 214 30.70%
Boston 11 1.58%
Philadelphia 31 4.45%
Pittsburgh 23 3.30%
Chicago 206 29.56%
San Francisco 27 3.87%
Los Angeles 24 3.44%
Seattle 33 4.73%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,669 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Reputation: 11174

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post





9/11 2012
I'm going up that building as soon as it's open to the public.

 
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM
 
65 posts, read 62,816 times
Reputation: 43
I think it would be very, very hard to say that NYC doesn't have the best skyline.

It absolutely kills every other skyline in terms of size, architectural diversity, and historical lineage. And, looking to the future, pretty much every starchitect on earth is designing new skyscrapers for NYC.

I mean, if you combined the next 10 largest skylines in the U.S., they still wouldn't add up to NYC. NYC has over 6,000 skyscrapers, which is more than six times that of Chicago, and after Chicago, no city has more than 400 or so skyscrapers.

So combine Chicago + LA + SF + Miami + Seattle + Philly + Boston + Houston + Dallas. You still are nowhere close to NYC in terms of skyline.
 
Old 09-11-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL/Houston, TX
874 posts, read 1,122,306 times
Reputation: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
I think it would be very, very hard to say that NYC doesn't have the best skyline.

It absolutely kills every other skyline in terms of size, architectural diversity, and historical lineage. And, looking to the future, pretty much every starchitect on earth is designing new skyscrapers for NYC.

I mean, if you combined the next 10 largest skylines in the U.S., they still wouldn't add up to NYC. NYC has over 6,000 skyscrapers, which is more than six times that of Chicago, and after Chicago, no city has more than 400 or so skyscrapers.

So combine Chicago + LA + SF + Miami + Seattle + Philly + Boston + Houston + Dallas. You still are nowhere close to NYC in terms of skyline.
Having the most doesn't mean it's the best, well at least not to me anyway.

Although I consider NYC's to be the best, I definitely don't think it's because the amount of skyscrapers.
 
Old 09-11-2012, 08:01 PM
 
Location: NYC/D.C.
363 posts, read 541,866 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
I think it would be very, very hard to say that NYC doesn't have the best skyline.

It absolutely kills every other skyline in terms of size, architectural diversity, and historical lineage. And, looking to the future, pretty much every starchitect on earth is designing new skyscrapers for NYC.

I mean, if you combined the next 10 largest skylines in the U.S., they still wouldn't add up to NYC. NYC has over 6,000 skyscrapers, which is more than six times that of Chicago, and after Chicago, no city has more than 400 or so skyscrapers.

So combine Chicago + LA + SF + Miami + Seattle + Philly + Boston + Houston + Dallas. You still are nowhere close to NYC in terms of skyline.
Because I'm known for being a fair poster, I'll reply on behave of the Chicagoans

Buddy you are over exaggerating. As a resident of NYC and now a constant visitor of Chicago, I can say that NYC's skyline is about 2 Chicagos. By the way, we dont have 6000 skyscrapers, we have 569 And Chicago has 282. Manhattan has over 3000 high-rises while dt Chicago has about 1000. But NYC as a whole does have almost 6000 high-rises if you include all 5 boroughs.
 
Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
8,702 posts, read 11,346,655 times
Reputation: 3539

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...73977246_n.jpg



PHILADELPHIA | 2116 Chestnut St. | 34 FL - Page 13 - SkyscraperPage Forum


All sizes | Philadelphia Skyline and Penn Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!


Philadelphia vs. Houston


All sizes | Park View | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
 
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 AM
 
425 posts, read 269,809 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Because I'm known for being a fair poster, I'll reply on behave of the Chicagoans

Buddy you are over exaggerating. As a resident of NYC and now a constant visitor of Chicago, I can say that NYC's skyline is about 2 Chicagos. By the way, we dont have 6000 skyscrapers, we have 569 And Chicago has 282. Manhattan has over 3000 high-rises while dt Chicago has about 1000. But NYC as a whole does have almost 6000 high-rises if you include all 5 boroughs.


Chicago's buildings are bigger. NYC's are more fragmented.

Quote:
We start with a look at the street-layout in the two cities. The picture below shows Chicago on the left and New York on the right. The strict square grid of Chicago has a bigger 'pixel' than the rectangular one in New York. This allows Chicagoans to build bigger blocks. The square grid also removes the experience of a difference in the north-south versus the east-west directions. This is essential for the maze-like quality of Chicago's streets, without complicating navigation. The always present wind from the lake is never failing to tell you what is east. In New York, the difference between the streets and avenues clearly makes the buildings along the streets inferior to those on the avenues.

This difference can also be seen in the trafic directions. Where New York has two-way avenues and smaller one-way streets, in Chicago all streets are equal and one-way only.
Left - Chicago, Right - NYC



Quote:
Second ingredient to Chicago's downtown quality is the very strong building-alignment. There never ever is a set-back. All the facades within a street are in perfect alignment. The only exceptions are a couple of public squares. Because NY building-alignment is never so severe as it is in Chicago, the walls along the sidewalks open up more often.

Last blessing for Chicago's urban atmosphere is the lack of New York's rigid zoning-law. Where the zoning-law in New York is delivering the citizens their needed sunlight, one in Chicago is free to go straight up from the sidewalk 300 meters without complaints. The schemes below are made to illustrate the effect of the absence of strict, New York like, zone-regulations in Chicago. The setbacks required in New York make that unique Chicago Grand Canyon quality impossible over there.
NYC



Chicago

 
Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 AM
 
65 posts, read 62,816 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Having the most doesn't mean it's the best, well at least not to me anyway.

Although I consider NYC's to be the best, I definitely don't think it's because the amount of skyscrapers.
I agree, but NYC doesn't only have the most skyscrapers. It's much more than that.

It has more skyscrapers than everyone else combined, more skyscraper variety than everyone else combined, more skyscraper history than everyone else combined. That's quite a legacy.
 
Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 AM
 
65 posts, read 62,816 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Buddy you are over exaggerating. As a resident of NYC and now a constant visitor of Chicago, I can say that NYC's skyline is about 2 Chicagos. By the way, we dont have 6000 skyscrapers, we have 569 And Chicago has 282. Manhattan has over 3000 high-rises while dt Chicago has about 1000. But NYC as a whole does have almost 6000 high-rises if you include all 5 boroughs.
None of this is true.

According to Emporis, NYC has over 6,000 skyscrapers, and Emporis says they don't have 100% of NYC skyscrapers.

And, according to Emporis, Chicago has about 1,000 skyscrapers, and Emporis does say they have 100% of Chicago skyscrapers.

So NYC has at least six times as many skyscrapers as Chicago.

Have you been to these two cities? It's quite obvious that NYC has many, many times as many highrises. Chicago only has highrises downtown and a narrow strip along the water. NYC has skyscrapers all over the place, including huge parts of the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey.
 
Old 09-12-2012, 06:41 AM
 
65 posts, read 62,816 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
Chicago's buildings are bigger. NYC's are more fragmented.
No. Chicago, in no way, can be compared to NYC's skyscrapers. Comparing NYC to Chicago (in terms of skyscrapers) is like comparing Chicago to Milwaukee.

Again, combine Chicago plus the next 10 cities in terms of skyscrapers, and you still don't come close to NYC. There's no comparison.
 
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 AM
 
425 posts, read 269,809 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
No. Chicago, in no way, can be compared to NYC's skyscrapers. Comparing NYC to Chicago (in terms of skyscrapers) is like comparing Chicago to Milwaukee.

Again, combine Chicago plus the next 10 cities in terms of skyscrapers, and you still don't come close to NYC. There's no comparison.

What do you mean "No"? How the **** you gonna sit there and say no when my post clearly illustrates that Chicago blocks are bigger?

Its a ****ing fact. Chicago blocks are bigger, which allows them to build by the bulk. You can see it in the skyline how much less fragmented it is compared to NYC.



Also, all those buildings youre horny over in NYC are low-rise buildings, which technically dont count as skyscrapers.

Cities with the most skyscrapers | Statistics | EMPORIS


Chicago, 1/4th the city size of NYC, yet half as many buildings.

Skyscrapers dont compare? Chicago is taller on average based on their top 10 skyscrapers.

Chicago sure as hell rivals NYC in terms of architecture, and arguably surpasses it. Im from NY, I know all about what the NY skyline has.

Chicago's actual skyline stretches much further than NYC's.

Number of skyscrapers doesnt mean ****, otherwise world class cities like Paris and London are left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top