U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city has the best skyline?
Atlanta 31 4.45%
Dallas 34 4.88%
Houston 37 5.31%
Miami 26 3.73%
New York 214 30.70%
Boston 11 1.58%
Philadelphia 31 4.45%
Pittsburgh 23 3.30%
Chicago 206 29.56%
San Francisco 27 3.87%
Los Angeles 24 3.44%
Seattle 33 4.73%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 AM

425 posts, read 271,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
I have no idea what you're ranting about. Coop City is in the East Bronx! The skyline obviously extends into the West Bronx!

You have never been to Upper Manhattan or Riverdale? That's mostly midrises and highrises. Certainly far more midrises and highrises than that narrow corridor you're referring to along Lake Michigan.

And White Plains is obviously nowhere near Yonkers, Coop City, or anything under discussion.

If Jersey City isn't part of the NYC skyline, then nothing outside of the Loop is in the Chicago skyline. It's the exact same (very weird) principle. It's the same skyline, and you can't even tell where Jersey City (for example) begins and Manhattan ends, when viewed from most angles. It's even more tied into the Manhattan skyline than Brooklyn or Queens (the buildings are physically closer).
The Loop and Near North Side make up the Chicago CBD, or "downtown" Chicago.

There are technically two parts.

Youre really ****ing reaching if you think NYC needs Jersey City as part of its skyline anyway. Jersey City is in Jersey City, not NYC.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yet NYC has dozens of 1000+ tower planned or u/c, and Chicago has none.

So if it's true that Chicago has no red tape, and NYC has tons of red tape, but Chicago is building almost nothing, and NYC has possibly the greatest boom in its history (perhaps the greatest skyscraper boom in world history), I guess that NYC has far, far more demand.

In NYC, there are $100 million apartments. In Chicago, there are almost empty highrises. So this probably means the giant gap between the cities will grow much wider, as more towers are built in NYC, and Chicago struggles with demand.

Most of the boom has come to a halt because of the economy, and dozens of projects have been scrapped or are on hold.

Rogers Tower (3WTC) has only been allowed to be built up to the 10th floor because of the lack of tenants to occupy the building.

This basically confirms to me that you have no idea what youre talking about.

You should probably visit Asia sometime, or maybe Dubai.

The condo boom was felt all over the place, especially Chicago and Miami. These things dont just happen in NYC.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 AM

65 posts, read 63,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
The Loop and Near North Side make up the Chicago CBD, or "downtown" Chicago.

There are technically two parts.

Youre really ****ing reaching if you think NYC needs Jersey City as part of its skyline anyway.
NYC doesn't need any more than Midtown Manhattan. That alone is far more impressive than anything else in the U.S. That's why NYC has, by far, the greatest skyline. One neighborhood alone is much greater than all other cities.

But the larger point is that obviously highrises aren't limited to Midtown, nor is the skyline limited to Manhattan.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
This basically confirms to me that you have no idea what youre talking about.
And this statement confirms to me you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about.

There are dozens of 1000+ buildings planned or u/c in NYC, and nothing major planned or u/c in Chicago.

There is no city on earth with dozens of 1000 ft.+ buildings currently, so yes, it could be the greatest highrise building boom in world history.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:00 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,220,312 times
Chicago's skyline is pretty and that speaks for itself on preference but its not as large as NYC. I'm a Chinese American, I go back and forth between the #1 and #2 countries of this world very often and those cities Shanghai, Chongqing, Beijing, Shenzen, Tianjin have caught up to all US cities on skyline but one, NYC.

More than ever, I realize to hate NYC's skyline is to hate America's last skyline frontier because its the only city in this country that's chugging along competing with the Chinese beasts.

Anyway I voted NYC, I prefer it and Hong Kong's skylines to the rest of the world.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
What the flying **** does a metro area have to do with the CBD skyline?

In other words, what the **** does Yonkers have to do with the Midtown and Downtown Manhattan skyline? We are comparing CITIES, NOT METROS.
This statement alone confirms that I'm probably wasting my time debating with you. You do realize that municipal incorporation regulations vary by state and country, right?

According to you, San Francisco isn't a city, and is a suburb of San Jose, which should have a big skyline, because it has a bigger municipal boundary.

And, according to you, Miami should have a tiny skyline and Tempe Arizona should have a big skyline, because all we should care about are state rules.

And, of course, there should be no highrises whatsover in Sydney or Melbourne, because they have small city populations. And the City of London, UK, which only has 5,000 residents (by your technical definitions) should have nothing.

And, according to you, the greatest skyline in the U.S. would have to be some small town like Sunny Isles Beach, FL or Guttenberg, NJ, because they are tiny municpalities that happen to be nothing but towers covering a few blocks? LOL

Heck, Sunny Isles Beach has a better skyline than Hong Kong! Dozens of towers for a few thousand people, if that! Guttenberg is greater than Manhattan! Look at the per capita highrise counts!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
NYC doesn't need any more than Midtown Manhattan. That alone is far more impressive than anything else in the U.S. That's why NYC has, by far, the greatest skyline. One neighborhood alone is much greater than all other cities.

But the larger point is that obviously highrises aren't limited to Midtown, nor is the skyline limited to Manhattan.

When someone thinks of the New York skyline, they think of Manhattan.

Also, Midtown being "far more impressive" is debatable. I think the Downtown Manhattan and Chicago skyline is better.

Keep reading your cliche statements from your NYC tourism book.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Man, look at Jersey City! and Yonkers too! Wow!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...L8mI0QGZn4DIBw

Old 09-12-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
This statement alone confirms that I'm probably wasting my time debating with you. You do realize that municipal incorporation regulations vary by state and country, right?

According to you, San Francisco isn't a city, and is a suburb of San Jose, which should have a big skyline, because it has a bigger municipal boundary.

And, according to you, Miami should have a tiny skyline and Tempe Arizona should have a big skyline, because all we should care about are state rules.

And, of course, there should be no highrises whatsover in Sydney or Melbourne, because they have small city populations. And the City of London, UK, which only has 5,000 residents (by your technical definitions) should have nothing.

And, according to you, the greatest skyline in the U.S. would have to be some small town like Sunny Isles Beach, FL or Guttenberg, NJ, because they are tiny municpalities that happen to be nothing but towers covering a few blocks? LOL

Heck, Sunny Isles Beach has a better skyline than Hong Kong! Dozens of towers for a few thousand people, if that! Guttenberg is greater than Manhattan! Look at the per capita highrise counts!

Youre making this out to be brain surgery.

You probably think St Paul is included with the Minneapolis skyline too. Hahahahahahahaha.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,827,736 times
New York or Chicago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or